Nintendo's "legal" problem

I'm curious if they'll ever really address this. Although it wouldn't do much to help their position, this just makes them look like assholes now.

In 2010 they released a statement concerning fan stuff that showed a rather relaxed stance but since then they've been anything but relaxed.

i sincerely hope someone starts a boycott to stop nintendo's shit. i bet the fangames had more love and effort thrown in than nintendo's own games; they only give a crap when it comes to revenue.

Eh,I don't really like the whole comparison of fan games vs official games since fan games usually don't have the same constraints as official games.
nintendo is a big company, and therefore has more money, technology, and skilled programmers to make greater games with. if anything, fan games are much more limited in that respect, but they have the drive to make good games more than anything else. and if i wanted to make money, id hire those people rather than make them hide their prideful work.
also, there is a good reason indie games are becoming more popular; okay, yes, indie games arent set to the same standards as official releases, but that allows them to develop into more intuitive, unique, and overall just better games.

Reactions: 607
I will admit that it is can be seen as embarassing for fan games to be more polished but for the most part fan games have much more relaxed developments. People aren't getting paid so money isn't a problem, people can contribute as much as they want, and probably the biggest factor is that there really aren't any deadlines. Fan games can take as much time as they want to complete their game. As we all know rushed games are the worst and fan games don't have this problem as long as interest continues. Big game developers have stronger commitments to put their games out. Yes they have more resources but they also have to juggle them. If they delay too much they risk losing money although rushing a game causes the same problem so it is much more difficult to produce a game with those kinds of commitments. Fan games can't really lose money the same way.

in general, setting a release on a game before its finished is the most punishing thing a company can do to itself. i think companies should wait until the game is mostly finished and in the quality testing / debugging phase just to release a date, because
a) theres very little risk of a delay, which would make fans less pissed.
b) a closer release date and more vague details means less overhype and players can go in with an open mind as opposed to having high standards for a game that hasnt even seen the market yet. of course that doesnt mean falsely advertise the game.
c) who said every detail of a game had to be released when it barely even came into fruitation, and have an "official" release date at that?

those are all things that companies do to themselves to shovel up hype, and its just unnecessary to make themselves deal with the stress.

• Agree
Reactions: 607
This is sadly true.

Which would you rather play?

This is why I don't like the New Super Mario Bros. games anymore. They keep making the same games with the same gameplay and story, to the point it is becoming boring.
The fan-made games on the other hand, are innovative with fresh ideas, interesting gameplay, and an entire cast of character to play. I can see why Nintendo doesn't like fan-made games: they are afraid that the fangames are becoming more popular than their own games.

i will say this, just to play devils advocate for a moment:
the legend of zelda: breath of the wild. sure, the beginning (like only the first 5 seconds) seems like the starting scene for the elder scroll, but the game demo makes the game seem more nonlinear and open, the visuals are polished, and the story is more cryptic and vague. if this is a sign, a breath of fresh air for things to come, i could see myself getting invested in nintendo.

but they still got to fix the way they conduct policy more than anything.

This is sadly true.

Which would you rather play?

Honestly the bottom one because it looks more polished and it doesn't have the same MIDI playing in the background over and over again.
I played the game and had fun. It's forgettable though. Come to think of it, I can't think of any recent game I've played I consider remarkable or to my liking.

Honestly the bottom one because it looks more polished and it doesn't have the same MIDI playing in the background over and over again.
I played the game and had fun. It's forgettable though. Come to think of it, I can't think of any recent game I've played I consider remarkable or to my liking.
they're still remarkably close in my opinion, and NSMB2 seems like a collectathon more than a challenging game.

off the topic, what kinds of games DO interest you?

That's kind of the thing with trailers. They use the same song over and over again.

they're still remarkably close in my opinion, and NSMB2 seems like a collectathon more than a challenging game.

off the topic, what kinds of games DO interest you?
All the classic Puyo Puyos, All the classic Sonics (+ the Adventure series, and I'll play the new upcoming games too), Mario Kart 8, Wario Land, Super Mario Land, Pokemon (although I prefer 2nd and 3rd gen), Kirby, The Sims (2 is the best), Tetris, uhh, I mostly like adventurer, puzzle, platforming, and fighting games.

I forgot to say Final Fantasy VI and Super Mario Bros 2 and 3

That's kind of the thing with trailers. They use the same song over and over again.
The song should at least be good to hear then

Last edited:
Now that I think about it I'd rather play that fangame than any of that crap Nintendo put out these days. It's so boring and uninnovative what Nintendo is doing with Mario. I want to see character interaction and a NEW INTERESTING story and gameplay. I feel especially vexed from stupid Nintendo fanboys on FB defending Nintendo's idiotic decision to take down fangames like they're threatened of it doing better than the soulless garbage theyve been doing

That being said Mario sports superstars will probably be a solid game but I know Nintendo will start getting more desperate w/ the mario series since they can feel the cynicism and boredom of the fanbase. Since EAD and RD1 merged we will probably see Wario and Daisy get in main games or at least get more attention (seen this with Waluigi and Daisy seems like they've given all hope on Wario unfortunately)

They took down 50 fan games and those stupid ass Nintendo fanboys were defending them so maybe..
i wouldnt be surprised, nintendo's biggest problem is policy; they make north korea look like they have some tough love for their people. (okay, maybe that was too much hyperbole, but my point is still made.) and the thing that bothers me about fanboys is that they cant accept when mistakes are made just like nintendo cant accept that they made a few booboos. complaints and criticism may seem just as annoying, but it accomplishes more than letting them lose all their other fans and therefore money.

Back