Pac-Man to return to his "glory days" finally?

Mario123311

Super Plumber Enthusiast
Pac-Man definently has seen better days, Before he would gain the imfamous reputation of "cash-grab" and "irrelevant sinking ship", He had actual respect... No, Not in the 80's. As some of you probably heard in another thread of mine, The early 2000's was where Pac-Man would truly shine. - Bringing a whole new generation of audience to them... After Pac-Man World 3's lukewarm reception though Namco and Bandai merged and decided to "reboot" the franchise which... Hasn't gone well. He's got a cartoon that is arguably cringe worthy, and a game that is seen as either "Okay" or flat out "Uninspired", And safe to say it's not hard to find hate for the character alone because of this trainwreck, sadly. However, It seems Namco Bandai MAY just be abandoning Ghostly Adventures after seeing how poorly it's done, apparently. (It's even been taken off the air from what I heard.) They had to shift Pac-Man to mobile games for a brief time and just recently Pac-Man CE 2 was announced as his return to consoles.

But fans want more then just "Pizza Pac", And safe to say - I'm very true when I say this. The top comments on the video linked above alone show a great amount of support who want the return of the Pac-Man World platformers. With how ignorant Namco Bandai has been to several of their franchises (Mr. Driller, Klonoa, Splatterhouse... Hell, You name it.), Do you think they may finally be wisining up? May we just see the return of Pac-Man's glory days with an upcoming Pac-Man World game? I can only hope...

Are those actually his glory days or just your particular preference for Pac-Man? As much as I enjoyed the first 2 games(I didn't think the third was up to par) I don't remember them getting that much attention. That being said I would hope to see something along the lines of that.

They weren't as "popular" as say, Mario 64 but it was enough to make him relevant on the charts again. You'd be surprised. ((There was even a short lived Cafe in Orlando that I mentioned)) It was probably like the "Sonic Adventure" era for Pac-Man, It's what got a lot of young gamers at the time into the character amusingly enough.

i have nothing to add to the OP because i don't give a shit about any incarnation of pac-man, but your thread made me remember that a few years ago, I read a blog post by a former Namco Hometek employee describing his terrible time there and (more relevant) the genesis of pac-man world (or "pac-man ghost zones" as it was originally called)

I suppose you might get a kick out of it.

i have nothing to add to the OP because i don't give a shit about any incarnation of pac-man, but your thread made me remember that a few years ago, I read a blog post by a former Namco Hometek employee describing his terrible time there and (more relevant) the genesis of pac-man world (or "pac-man ghost zones" as it was originally called)

I suppose you might get a kick out of it.
I actually quite remember the development of it. It was because the whole game had to be reworked considering Namco's president wasn't too pleased with the first alpha they showed off.

With a lot of people commenting how it "resembled Bubsy 3D", It probably explains why. This led to a number of staff being fired with a few exceptions, The whole game would be reworked from scratch into what would become Pac-Man World essentially.

I actually quite remember the development of it. It was because the whole game had to be reworked considering Namco's president wasn't too pleased with the first alpha they showed off.

With a lot of people commenting how it "resembled Bubsy 3D", It probably explains why. This led to a number of staff being fired with a few exceptions, The whole game would be reworked from scratch into what would become Pac-Man World essentially.

The write-up I linked is very one-sided and makes it sound like the president of Namco wanted to cancel it because it didn't have a FMV intro, but looking at that gameplay footage, it's totally understandable he was angry. That looks atrocious lmao

pac-man's true glory days

Pac-Man 2 is ironically more a "love it or hate it" type of game these days. Some people like it for being a pretty unique concept and just an entertaining interactive cartoon, Others hated it because they didn't have control of Pac-Man and he would do things often unintentional, As the players were confused.

Pac-Man suffers the same problem as Donkey Kong. Their arcade appearances remain the most prominent in the public eye. Pac-Man moreso than Donkey Kong. And this prevents Pac-Man's more fleshed out appearances from garnering much attention.

ZnYFwkW.png

4eM1U3s.png

Again, These are the most top-rated comments in the video I linked at the OP. I'm just hoping Namco Bandai doesn't fuck up again. :U

With the Klonoa movie being confirmed to be true, Safe to say Namco Bandai may finally be listening more, finally.
they_finally_listened_to_us_lil__buddy_____by_mario123311-damk68k.jpg

Here's to both of 'em. I can't express how happy I feel right now~... There is hope for both of them after all.

Is there hope for Pac-Man? Just because Klonoa (a series more known for stories) is getting a movie, doesn't mean anything for Pac-Man.

EIther way I don't want a new World game. I want something new altogether. Maybe something that seamlessly fuses the Pac-Man maze games and Pac-Man World games.

I'd like them to keep the idea that Blinky, Inky, Pinky, and Clyde look different (from the Ghostly Adventures series) but maybe not as dramatic as they went. I want them to officially phase out Ms. Pac-Man. A "girl version" of a character is the laziest character. I don't want Pac-Man's world to take place in a futuristic land like in Ghostly Adventures. Maybe something more abstract looking?

With building that look like this:
http://weandthecolor.com/wp-content...-by-Belgian-artist-Filip-Dujardin-600x600.jpg
And environments that look like this:
http://openwalls.com/image/17037/tree_abstract_world_1600x1200.jpg

I did like that everyone in Ghostly Adventures is a different colored spherical being instead of just a Pac-Man clone in a different hat. So keep that too.

Fuck Pacman, he's some random 80's icon just like G&W. Do you think since G&W is in smash he'll deserve his own new game in the future? Nah dawg. Klonoa 2 was really fun but that's all it ever was. He's just some furry with 2 games it's as if people were to get upset at EWJ for not coming back it's really futile. What could Pacman possibly do other than maze games? Besides when it comes to Namco just stick to their best series the Tales of games.

Fuck Pacman, he's some random 80's icon just like G&W. Do you think since G&W is in smash he'll deserve his own new game in the future? Nah dawg. Klonoa 2 was really fun but that's all it ever was. He's just some furry with 2 games it's as if people were to get upset at EWJ for not coming back it's really futile. What could Pacman possibly do other than maze games? Besides when it comes to Namco just stick to their best series the Tales of games.
That's a harsh way to put it, but I kind of agree Pac-man should remain the icon he was... not try too hard to be relevant and just come out awkward... much like Sonic.

Is there hope for Pac-Man? Just because Klonoa (a series more known for stories) is getting a movie, doesn't mean anything for Pac-Man.

EIther way I don't want a new World game. I want something new altogether. Maybe something that seamlessly fuses the Pac-Man maze games and Pac-Man World games.

I'd like them to keep the idea that Blinky, Inky, Pinky, and Clyde look different (from the Ghostly Adventures series) but maybe not as dramatic as they went. I want them to officially phase out Ms. Pac-Man. A "girl version" of a character is the laziest character. I don't want Pac-Man's world to take place in a futuristic land like in Ghostly Adventures. Maybe something more abstract looking?

With building that look like this:
http://weandthecolor.com/wp-content...-by-Belgian-artist-Filip-Dujardin-600x600.jpg
And environments that look like this:
http://openwalls.com/image/17037/tree_abstract_world_1600x1200.jpg

I did like that everyone in Ghostly Adventures is a different colored spherical being instead of just a Pac-Man clone in a different hat. So keep that too.
Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness is arguably the closet that comes to the concept you had mentioned, actually. I would like something along the lines of that if another Pac-Man Platformer isn't to happen. I mainly want another Pac-Man Platformer in the vein of World though primarily because people simply say because of Ghostly Adventures he should be forbidden to be in said genre despite being one of the pioneers to platforming itself with Pac-Land, which came out in 1980.

Also phasing her out? I disagree, That's a dumb decision honestly though. It's like if Nintendo tried to phase out Luigi just because he was originally made simply for the second player, But there is more to them that just that. That and the fact they were there for a very long time, with Missy pretty much being a mainstay up until 2012: just removing them all of a sudden feels stupid. Just because she was a distaff counterpart isn't a good enough excuse considering her game is arguably more popular than what even Namco produced for the arcades as sequels. (Super Pac-Man, Pac-&-Pal)

That's a harsh way to put it, but I kind of agree Pac-man should remain the icon he was... not try too hard to be relevant and just come out awkward... much like Sonic.
This is why I prefered his titles in the early 2000's respectively as it was less about cashing him in on everything he could but making a game that would just be enjoyable in general. Let alone, Said time was when a lot of other Namco franchises were just as prelevant...

There's a lot of respect in being a good arcade game still. It's just a shame they aren't popular... or rather... thr modern day incarnation of arcade games are mobile games.

That's kind of the problem I have. People don't acknowledge him for anything BUT the original arcade game. - Imagine if people only respected Mario or Sonic because of their first ever Adventures... Even though they arguably haven't aged as well compared to their sequels.

((Hell, There HAVE been a few delusionists online I've seen who ACTUALLY think Sonic 1 is the only good thing from that franchise.))

Speaking of comparisons, Considering how much flak newer Mario games get for their pandering to Mario 3 enthusiasts, 2D Mario getting stale in general as well as "FUCKING FLAGPOLES" which seems to bring up several red flags since 3DW's release... There are people who prefered Mario's different direction he was taking with games like 64 and Sunshine because they felt different. Same could be said about Pac-Man considering we want a return to the PMW-Escue formula of interacting with environments but most we tend to see are things based on the arcade format. They aren't bad but it shows they are being tone deaf and failing to show each of them CAN be different. Evolution is important to games, if anything.

Last edited:
I don't know... I personally don't think Super Mario Bros is fun to play today. MAYBE Mario Bros... it's just been a while since I played the original so I can't remember how tight it felt.

Also phasing her out? I disagree, That's a dumb decision honestly though. It's like if Nintendo tried to phase out Luigi just because he was originally made simply for the second player, But there is more to them that just that. That and the fact they were there for a very long time, with Missy pretty much being a mainstay up until 2012: just removing them all of a sudden feels stupid. Just because she was a distaff counterpart isn't a good enough excuse considering her game is arguably more popular than what even Namco produced for the arcades as sequels. (Super Pac-Man, Pac-&-Pal)
NIntendo continued to evolve Luigi into a more unique character with his own identity over the years. I don't know if you can even do that with Ms. Pac-Man. Her name is litterally just Pac-Man with a "Ms." attached to it. It would be like if they named Luigi "Green Mario".

Back