Serious Discussion

MonaWare

do wa ditty
Diamond City Insider
So, serious conversations. Do you ever take part in more serious conversations, or even like debates or anything? How do you feel about them? What kind of emotions do you deal with when taking part in them?

Im actually used to taking part in them. And Im not saying that to brag or anything lame like that, like I have even made myself look like a fool before : p But its something that Im used to, I think. Like I have a friend I grew up with and all, and hes a deep kinda guy, he often talks alot about serious junk. He has a BA in creative writing, and he took alot of philosophy classes and junk. He often likes to talk about alot of deep things and stuff too. So he often likes to talk with me about stuff. Ive learned alot from him, too. Am glad we became friends : p

And I have spent alot of time on like forums that have a large community of opinionated people, many of them going against my own way of thinking. And when theyd start conversations in serious discussions and bully others, I have debated with them. And the life I have lived in general has lead me to alot of debating too, and I have actually had my life changed in many ways within the past few years which has really encouraged me to take part in such conversations even more, to share my own experiences and encourage others to think in another way.

I can get emotional when taking part in such conversations, though. Like not always, and I never act out on it in the conversation. But like alot of times in such conversations, when the person you are conversing with runs out of arguments, they will often turn to insulting you, or even like trying to make it look like you said something you did not say in order to make you look bad to those watching. And that can be really frustrating. After a while you get kinda worn out with these conversations that you just dont wanna do it anymore, it really takes someone with a strong will and determination to do such a thing regularly.

I think that having such debates are important, because everyone in the world is pushing out some kinda info, and there are things that we should totally be careful of, and be ready to hand out an alternative idea. Many people are trying to sway others to their own thinking, and that can be dangerous in many ways. So being able to speak up and know how to debate such things is important.
I also think some people take this too far, and drag it everywhere they go, though. I often see people who take offense at everything and try to make it into a debate, when it isnt in anyway necessary. But even still, having the ability to do so, and knowing when to do such a thing is important, and I think it should be encouraged.

What do you think about serious discussions?

I'm not one for debates. I'm too open minded to defend a viewpoint. There are very few things I feel strongly about that I would defend and even then I'd rather not say anything. Not to say I haven't participated in some and it's usually been a poor showing from me.

Online debates tend to always deteriorate into drama. Both sides rarely acknowledge eachother's viewpoints and it ends up boiling down to both sides basically going "I'm right you're wrong."

I recognize the importance of debates but I don't have the mindset to really be effective at debating. I also have yet to see an online debate handled well.

As long as the debate remains civil, I'm perfectly willing to engage. I'm not generally one to take strong stances, but in such cases where I don't, I'm still decent at playing Devil's Advocate. I prefer to look at topics from every perspective, which makes me good at pointing out holes in another person's points where such holes exist, and build off their own arguments to support mine. My aim is generally to get others to open-mindedly view other perspectives so that they can make their own decisions based on the points raised by each party, rather than to convince them that they're wrong.

Online debates tend to always deteriorate into drama. Both sides rarely acknowledge eachother's viewpoints and it ends up boiling down to both sides basically going "I'm right you're wrong."

I recognize the importance of debates but I don't have the mindset to really be effective at debating. I also have yet to see an online debate handled well.

I have seen this before, too : p Thats not always the case, though. Oh but, when going into a debate you should generally keep in mind that you arent gonna change the opinions of the person youre debating with, but you will have a major affect on those watching. Thats the importance of debating : p

But alot of times I just see insults thrown around, too. This is especially bad on youtube, actually. I have been in serious conversations on youtube comments before, and there are often those who do nothing more but hurl insults at each other. You are not making a good case or helping your cause by doing so, and that often makes me grumpy.
Theres also too much shaming people for questioning going on these days, however. I see way too much of people claiming discrimination or hate of some kind when someone states an alternative opinion, and thats not an argument : /

The only Serious discussion I ever had was with this guy who thinks freaking 9-volt is more popular than the most well-known character of Warioware - Ashley! Besides Wario I'm told, now that I can believe, but 9-volt being more known? Crackpot theories!

=ᴵ ʰᵃᵈ ᵃ ˡᵒᵗ ᵐᵒʳᵉ ᵗᵒ ˢᵃʸ˒ ᵇᵘᵗ ᶤᶰ ᶠᵉᵃʳ ˢᵒᵐᵉ ᵖᵉᵒᵖˡᵉ ᵐᶤᵍʰᵗ ᵇᶤᵗᶜʰ ᵃᵗ ᵐᵉ ᴵ'ᵐ ᵏᵉᵉᵖᶤᶰᵍ ᶤᵗ ᵗᵒ ᵐʸˢᵉˡᶠ=

Even if that little (Censored) is, I wouldn't really care to be honest. Who's getting the attention anyways? Ashley is. Man, if Dragon was here she'd be pissed with me, probably. 9-volt is her 2nd favorite, behind Ashley.

Oh but, when going into a debate you should generally keep in mind that you arent gonna change the opinions of the person youre debating with, but you will have a major affect on those watching. Thats the importance of debating : p
I get that. What I'm going at is that most debates I've personally seen turn into people just listening to their own arguments and viewpoints. Then it just deteriorates further.

Here is the evidence that King Hehehe was reffering to (so that a certain someone can't ignore it ) :
11111111111111111.JPG

3333333333333333333333.png
2222222222222222222.png

And that's all I will say about that.

Last edited:
I'm mainly defending my point, since Kyon acted as if I was talking nonsense with nothing to back it up, he brought me into this and I'm mainly correcting the facts I don't care who the most popular character is and I certainly don't want another stupid Ashley circlejerk.

Well, we can try to discuss the nature of debates again, but what more is there to add (that hasn't been marvelously demonstrated here)?

"Set to ignore" does this mean I can rate all your posts dumb without you knowing? X3
(Just kidding, just kidding if you couldn't tell.)

Let's not turn this into another Ashley discussion thread.

That whole thing honestly had nothing to do with this thread, it wasnt even an inspiration for it. I was just thinking about it this morning and thought it could make a cool conversation.

(also, am glad that Mona is high on the list : p)

Though I guess thats a negative effect of debates and such, people who take it personally and hold grudges. I dont see it happen often, but I'm sure that it happens : p

Back