So... This gaming generation

Mario123311

Super Plumber Enthusiast
I hope I'm not alone when I say this but I think this was probably the weakest gen for gaming as a whole. Sure we got a few gems like Smash Wii U, Splatoon, The return of Doom of all things... But a lot of the games just haven't been very great and or just missing. Super Mario 3D World is pretty much the only real worthwile "mainline" Mario game IMO, Whereas NSMBU and 2 just feel... bland. Speaking of bland, How about them typical iron-sight first person rail shooters? There's a good reason why they are becoming more and more detested as time goes on.

Something that's been on my mind quite a lot this year, honestly. What with many games seeming to take inspiration in aims of being spiritual sucessors. With the way this gaming generation has gone down... I know at least some spirits will live on:

Mario - Giana Sisters
Sonic - Freedom Planet
Mega Man- Shovel Knight

Other franchises... Will be left to rest in peace sadly.

*coughImissyouPac-Man:(cough*

Before you ask: I think out of all the mascots, Pac-Man is the one who suffered the most. He's gone from his Pac-Man World glory days to bottom of the barrel, and he's pretty much been plastered with scandals that the world hates him for the wrong reasons... The fact Namco has been ignoring fans for several years now offends me more than what Nintendo has done 2015-present, personally.

Here's to hoping next generation will be better. (I really hope.)

How about them typical iron-sight first person rail shooters?

Yeah, what about them? I have no idea why you brought up this tired talking point when:

1:The Big Bad AAA bogeyman has largely shifted to third-person, open-world action games.

2: The mainstream FPS landscape is a hell lot more varied than it was during the PS360 years. You have successful rebirths of "old-school" FPS (Doom 'Shadow Warriors Reboot, Wolfenstein TNO), , you have team-based multiplayers FPS that *don't* have ironsights (Star Wars Battlefront), you have successful multiplayer cutesy/colourful FPS and TPSes that are not Team Fortress 2 (Overwatch, Splatoon), you have games introducing new ways of traversal (Titanfall and again, Splatoon), etc. etc. Even the much-maligned Call of Duty underwent radical changes with Advanced Warfare and Black Ops 3.

My favourite genres are mech simulations and air combat, so this generation hasn't been particularly kind to me. But that's not to say there hasn't been stuff I liked - Strike Suit Zero is pretty awesome, Pikmin 3 is everything I could've wanted, and Titanfall quickly climbed (eh) to my all-time favourites.

Ultimately though. I always find waxing nostalgic about "generations" dumb because I can always access all of the good games made in the past along with the new good games that are being made. Sometimes it seems most gamers are more attached to memories and status symbols than they are in actually playing video games.

Yeah, what about them? I have no idea why you brought up this tired talking point when:

1:The Big Bad AAA bogeyman has largely shifted to third-person, open-world action games.

2: The mainstream FPS landscape is a hell lot more varied than it was during the PS360 years. You have successful rebirths of "old-school" FPS (Doom 'Shadow Warriors Reboot, Wolfenstein TNO), , you have team-based multiplayers FPS that *don't* have ironsights (Star Wars Battlefront), you have successful multiplayer cutesy/colourful FPS and TPSes that are not Team Fortress 2 (Overwatch, Splatoon), you have games introducing new ways of traversal (Titanfall and again, Splatoon), etc. etc. Even the much-maligned Call of Duty underwent radical changes with Advanced Warfare and Black Ops 3.

My favourite genres are mech simulations and air combat, so this generation hasn't been particularly kind to me. But that's not to say there hasn't been stuff I liked - Strike Suit Zero is pretty awesome, Pikmin 3 is everything I could've wanted, and Titanfall quickly climbed (eh) to my all-time favourites.

Ultimately though. I always find waxing nostalgic about "generations" dumb because I can always access all of the good games made in the past along with the new good games that are being made. Sometimes it seems most gamers are more attached to memories and status symbols than they are in actually playing video games.
I will admit that I have been kind of sleeping under a rock since the 360/PS3 generation I pretty much gave up on FPSes and went back to play ones I previously owned, The only one really being notable to me was Doom 4 of course. But thanks for recommending me a few of these. I still feel things have just been... rather bleak though. I would complain about games being dark/gritty all the time but it seems that games are starting to become colorful again... albeit slowly though. Just hoping not every game becomes a "Doom 3 90 shades of gray" in terms of it's color pallete though.

The best I can explain how I felt this generation is that I've been in a gaming drought with very few games catching my attention really.

I hope I'm not alone when I say this but I think this was probably the weakest gen for gaming as a whole. Sure we got a few gems like Smash Wii U, Splatoon, The return of Doom of all things... But a lot of the games just haven't been very great and or just missing. Super Mario 3D World is pretty much the only real worthwile "mainline" Mario game IMO, Whereas NSMBU and 2 just feel... bland. Speaking of bland, How about them typical iron-sight first person rail shooters? There's a good reason why they are becoming more and more detested as time goes on.

Something that's been on my mind quite a lot this year, honestly. What with many games seeming to take inspiration in aims of being spiritual sucessors. With the way this gaming generation has gone down... I know at least some spirits will live on:

Mario - Giana Sisters
Sonic - Freedom Planet
Mega Man- Shovel Knight

Other franchises... Will be left to rest in peace sadly.

*coughImissyouPac-Man:(cough*

Before you ask: I think out of all the mascots, Pac-Man is the one who suffered the most. He's gone from his Pac-Man World glory days to bottom of the barrel, and he's pretty much been plastered with scandals that the world hates him for the wrong reasons... The fact Namco has been ignoring fans for several years now offends me more than what Nintendo has done 2015-present, personally.

Here's to hoping next generation will be better. (I really hope.)
I like a lot Pacman World games but in my opinion the new Pacman games sucks sooo much

Pretty much why I say out of all the mascots, Pac-Man is the one who suffered the most and took a major blow to his reputation to the point people just want the character to die off because he's irrelevant to gaming apparently... This saddens me because reasons mentioned above.

The new TV Show as shown above, I can explain why I think the new universe is garbage:
-Outdated Memes
-it's hip! It's cool! No, It's annoying.
-There's so much Burp/Fart/Puke humor it's not even funny, honestly.
-I'm honest when I say Mega Man 8 had a better voice cast... At least that was laughable, This is just grating.

Does every modern reboot have to be packed to the brim with bad memes again? Well; Judging from PPG2k16, Apparently so.

Pretty much why I say out of all the mascots, Pac-Man is the one who suffered the most and took a major blow to his reputation to the point people just want the character to die off because he's irrelevant to gaming apparently... This saddens me because reasons mentioned above.

The new TV Show as shown above, I can explain why I think the new universe is garbage:
-Outdated Memes
-it's hip! It's cool! No, It's annoying.
-There's so much Burp/Fart/Puke humor it's not even funny, honestly.
-I'm honest when I say Mega Man 8 had a better voice cast... At least that was laughable, This is just grating.

Does every modern reboot have to be packed to the brim with bad memes again? Well; Judging from PPG2k16, Apparently so.
In addition to your points, I've noticed that a lot of newer shows like to rely on self referencing humor as their main gimmick. The Sonic Boom cartoon is a great example of this.

Going back to the main topic though, I'd say there's been a very small amount of titles I've been interested in playing this generation. Very few games have caught my eye and the couple ones I've tried out I couldn't get into. Part of it is me having the rose tinted glasses on wanting games to be like they used to, and another part is me having not found the right games to play.

I always find waxing nostalgic about "generations" dumb because I can always access all of the good games made in the past along with the new good games that are being made. Sometimes it seems most gamers are more attached to memories and status symbols than they are in actually playing video games.

Back