So Wario was considered for Melee?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/04/13/the-definitive-unused-fighters-list-in-smash/

He also states that if he cut Roy and Marth or Mewtwo, he might have been able to add Wario, but the Mario representation was too much

No offence, but I would have probably cut one of the characters to include Wario. Maybe not Marth and Roy at once, but come on. Wario deserved it more than Roy, you have to admit that.

Who would you have cut to get Wario in Melee? Would you have wanted him in?

I would've cut Roy tbh. We have enough swordfighters now as it is without DLC. I wouldn't care if he was some strangely shaped Captain Falcon clone.

Mario. Then I'd make Dr. Mario regular Mario, because Dr. Mario is better.

Or I'd not add him at all because Melee's design is freaky and with his large mouth and beady eyes he'd probably give me nightmares.

It's interesting to think about how different things might have been if Wario had gotten into Melee. I remember when Melee came out I was so sure that Wario would be in since at the time Nintendo still seemed to care about Wario with Wario Land 2, 3, and 4 which came out in the same year as Melee.
Odds are if Wario had made it into Melee he probably wouldn't have had a fart attack.

But clearly Pichu(the character that me and my friends never used)was wayyyyy more important then poor Wario.seriously?:

I'd cut Roy too, Roy was new at the time and really offered nothing new. He added a clone from a new game (that I think wasn't even released yet.) over Wario, a person at least with a good history.

With his good old yellow suit. Well at least you guys got him in brawl.

I'd have taken Wario over Marth and Roy, honestly. Roy because he was very clearly only half-finished anyway and is honestly terrible, and Marth due to more personal bias, just because I wish I never had to deal with him and his obnoxious range. There's also the factor that Wario is significantly more popular than Marth, or at least he was at the time, so nobody would really miss much if Marth wasn't in. I'd be more reluctant to take out Mewtwo, since Mewtwo is still an iconic Pokémon character and I've always loved that he's in Melee.

If we didn't have Marth or Roy in Smash Fire Emblem would've been a dead franchise like Advance Wars, Golden Sun and Wario Land...
Nevermind, they should've put Wario in the game over those weeb anime characters. Especially since they didn't have WarioWare to base his moveset off yet.

It sounds like Advance Wars was a bigger influence for Fire Emblem coming to the west, but it probably wouldn't have been as popular.

And yeah, not having WarioWare yet would probably give us a more Land-accurate Wario moveset.

I have to agree. A basically heavy tier Mario with maybe a shoulder barge for his side special would have been fine. Change his fireball to a coin throw (they changed Doctor Mario's to pills, so...), keep the ground pound and up-punch... yeah, I think that would have worked fine.

• Agree
Reactions: 607
Back