Some potentially creepy details in Crescent Moon Village?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
From Wario Land 4. Note the weird markings on the walls in the background:

crescentmoonvillagedecor.png

Ignoring the strange picture of the colonel like guy (who is that anyway?), I've always thought the weird markings and holes on the walls look kind of suspicious.

The weird claw like markings seem like a place that some axe has scraped along the wall, perhaps in a missed attack. Given the hatchets the ghosts in this level seem to be carrying... is that the result of one of them missing and hitting the wall behind them?

And the red hole... I have no idea what it's supposed to be, but I always imagined it was a bullet hole or something. Seems kind of appropriate for a village set in an area right out of a Stephen King novel...

Finally, the other markings... anyone find it a bit neat that Nintendo put in so much attention that they actually drew what appears to be damp on the walls? Most ghost houses look to be in decent condition after a few decades or centuries. This place seems to be literally falling down...

So yeah, thoughts on this minor decor and what it could be?

I figured this one out, in part at least. As you can see in the Crescent Moon Village map here, the picture appears repeated some three times. The markings are everywhere on the level and I think they're just that, markings of the decrepit place. The "red hole" detail that goes with the frame is where the picture used to be held in place. It can be like a nail that the frame was hung on. Now that the frame has fallen, becoming crooked and standing on the remaining right side support, the nail-like support of the left side became exposed. It can be a scrap that's on it. As for the identity, it always downright seemed like Arewo Shitain-hakase to me, which appears to have played several different roles anyway.

Bullets being shot and axes thrown is overthinking.

I don't know... hooded creatures that indiscriminately swing axes at intruders seems scary enough... in concept, at least. Of course nothing ever seems scary when you are Wario. Wario would just eat all the ghosts and piledrive all the boos in Wario's Mansion.

I only realised this quite recently, but have you noticed that some scratch marks on the walls are on places that those normal axe enemies can't reach?
That means that something much larger must be responsible for these... DumDumDum:

Back