Something I'd like to see in a 3D Mario game...

Mario123311

Super Plumber Enthusiast
As much as I love 3D World, my biggest gripe between them was the levels felt even more like actual obstacle courses than real places once more, As well as removing Mario's health bar and various acrobatics such as the triple jump as well as a gripe I had with the galaxy games - They just overall felt more linear. With the footage we got the Nintendo Switch upcoming Mario game, It seems to be borrowing it's gameplay style from 64/Sunshine/Galaxy more than anything as well the enviroments looking overrall fresh once more, hopefully to bring us out of the NSMB Dark Age but we have yet to know if the level style will either just be getting to the goal or multiple collectibles like 64, Sunshine and Galaxy. Personally, I'm fine if the whole thing is just getting to the goal... But I want the levels to feel expansive rather than linear, Rewarding me for going out of my way collecting anything I can or traversing the level in different ways. There is a game I can compare what my wants are of in terms of level design, And I know it sounds crazy, But It's Sonic 06 of all things.

Before you laugh at me like some idiot, Let's examine a few of the levels real quick, Because we all know the game was plagued by an unfinished, buggy engine.

Aside from these levels feeling pretty damn big and immersive, They feel open and encourage exploration and along with that, you are given multiple paths to your destination rather than just a linear path even rewarding the player with goodies and power ups now and then. I don't know about you, But if I could have a Mario game with level design in a similar structure... I'd be all for it considering if they decide to make plenty of levels for me to play around with. I'd love to see this possibly mixed with having usual brick and question blocks here and there, But with Mario playing with a SM64 escue playstyle (and having mushrooms/powerups restore his health bar rather than coins as otherwise it'd possibly be too easy.) I think possibly this way it could not only appeal to those who like a simpler setup but also appeal to those who liked the exploration aspects of the past 3D games possibly.

Last edited:
As much as I love 3D World, my biggest gripe between them was the levels felt even more like actual obstacle courses than real places once more, As well as removing Mario's health bar and various acrobatics such as the triple jump as well as a gripe I had with the galaxy games - They just overall felt more linear. With the footage we got the Nintendo Switch upcoming Mario game, It seems to be borrowing it's gameplay style from 64/Sunshine/Galaxy more than anything as well the enviroments looking overrall fresh once more, hopefully to bring us out of the NSMB Dark Age but we have yet to know if the level style will either just be getting to the goal or multiple collectibles like 64, Sunshine and Galaxy. Personally, I'm fine if the whole thing is just getting to the goal... But I want the levels to feel expansive rather than linear, Rewarding me for going out of my way collecting anything I can or traversing the level in different ways. There is a game I can compare what my wants are of in terms of level design, And I know it sounds crazy, But It's Sonic 06 of all things.

Before you laugh at me like some idiot, Let's examine a few of the levels real quick, Because we all know the game was plagued by an unfinished, buggy engine.

Aside from these levels feeling pretty damn big and immersive, They feel open and encourage exploration and along with that, you are given multiple paths to your destination rather than just a linear path even rewarding the player with goodies and power ups now and then. I don't know about you, But if I could have a Mario game with level design in a similar structure... I'd be all for it considering if they decide to make plenty of levels for me to play around with. I'd love to see this possibly mixed with having usual brick and question blocks here and there, But with Mario playing with a SM64 escue playstyle (and having mushrooms/powerups restore his health rather than coins as otherwise it'd possibly be too easy.) I think possibly this way it could not only appeal to those who like a simpler setup but also appeal to those who liked the exploration aspects of the past 3D games possibly.

note that ive never really played many sonic or mario games, so not everything i say might make any sense
i agree, the newer games dont seem like it could plausibly be a real world environment and seem more like a linear obstacle course. and the level design of sonic 06, while it may have promoted exploration in level, was still clearly linear in my opinion. i think an open world with interconnected levels, as opposed to chapter based levels with a clear start, end, and pathway; would be risky and a bit adventurous for a platformer, but should definitely make the game deeper and enriching on its own.

Back