Spunks Spooks: Archipelago Adventure (Fangame Inspired by Wario Land 4)

While I couldn't quite meet my own self-imposed deadlines (a lot came up), I'm finally ready to share a workable download link for the full demo, along with a plethora more screenshots and some videos! :WLThumbsUp:

Demo link (includes all 8 levels and tutorial showcased in the playlist): https://kingboo83.itch.io/archipelago-adventure

YouTube playlist link showcasing each level and gameplay:

As always, any feedback is appreciated, and to anyone who has stuck around and waited for an update, thank you for your patience! Hope you enjoy!

I'll check it out when I have the time !

While I couldn't quite meet my own self-imposed deadlines (a lot came up), I'm finally ready to share a workable download link for the full demo, along with a plethora more screenshots and some videos! :WLThumbsUp:

Demo link (includes all 8 levels and tutorial showcased in the playlist): https://kingboo83.itch.io/archipelago-adventure

YouTube playlist link showcasing each level and gameplay:

As always, any feedback is appreciated, and to anyone who has stuck around and waited for an update, thank you for your patience! Hope you enjoy!

Hey, I wanted to check out your game the link seems to be broken. Did you remove it on purpose or is it a bug ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-18 141516.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-18 141516.png
    38 KB · Views: 16
So, I played the game and it was pretty neat. It reminds of those Mario fangames I would see on Youtube when I was a kid but couldn't download due to my parents being scared of viruses on their computer lol (not that they were about being cautious). The level design is good. My only problems with the game was that the level were a bit too long and thus fell sometimes on the boring side after too long and also the fact that's it's a boo game but controls just like Mario and disturbs me a bit (Although that might just be a me issue).

Also, I kinda felt nostalgic when I played Garden of Glory, it made me remember SM64 Star Road's Bob-omb level.

Also also, just a quick question, how does Hello Mario Engine work. Is it a framework on an engine similar to how Sonic Worlds is ion Multimedia Fusion 2 or is it level creator ?

So, I played the game and it was pretty neat. It reminds of those Mario fangames I would see on Youtube when I was a kid but couldn't download due to my parents being scared of viruses on their computer lol (not that they were about being cautious). The level design is good. My only problems with the game was that the level were a bit too long and thus fell sometimes on the boring side after too long and also the fact that's it's a boo game but controls just like Mario and disturbs me a bit (Although that might just be a me issue).

Also, I kinda felt nostalgic when I played Garden of Glory, it made me remember SM64 Star Road's Bob-omb level.

Also also, just a quick question, how does Hello Mario Engine work. Is it a framework on an engine similar to how Sonic Worlds is ion Multimedia Fusion 2 or is it level creator ?

Thanks for playing, I appreciate your honest thoughts! That's actually why I wanted to present a more official-looking download link, complete with a homepage and everything. I didn't want anyone feeling on edge over any potential viruses lol. I can see how the levels could feel stretched, as the game heavily relies on Mario as its core foundation, and also why I wanted to do something to differentiate from a typical Mario side-scroller (I tried to balance between 2D Mario and some of Yoshi's Island's level design in mind, while still being inspired by Wario Land 4). As for why it's a Boo that functions just like Mario, all I can say is, I believe my thought process at the time was to treat it like the playable Mario Party Boo, who shared the same traits and moveset as the rest of the cast despite being... well, a 'flying enemy' lol. (Hindsight is 20/20, and could I go back, I would've tailored the project more around something befitting of Boo's attributes, such as floating and whatnot.)

Funnily enough, they both share the same track! It's the Green Garden theme from Bomberman 64 (although you may have already knew it). Nice to hear ya got a nostalgia boost from that, ha.

Hello Mario Engine is an open-source engine for Game Maker Studios and older versions, not a level creator. I find it the simplest and easiest to use and modify, as this project has been heavily tweaked from the vanilla engine, with a lot of bug fixes and patches I implemented myself. I'm far from the best at coding, so I've had to rely on what I can for now, and hey, we all gotta start somewhere! :pumpit:

Thanks for playing, I appreciate your honest thoughts! That's actually why I wanted to present a more official-looking download link, complete with a homepage and everything. I didn't want anyone feeling on edge over any potential viruses lol. I can see how the levels could feel stretched, as the game heavily relies on Mario as its core foundation, and also why I wanted to do something to differentiate from a typical Mario side-scroller (I tried to balance between 2D Mario and some of Yoshi's Island's level design in mind, while still being inspired by Wario Land 4). As for why it's a Boo that functions just like Mario, all I can say is, I believe my thought process at the time was to treat it like the playable Mario Party Boo, who shared the same traits and moveset as the rest of the cast despite being... well, a 'flying enemy' lol. (Hindsight is 20/20, and could I go back, I would've tailored the project more around something befitting of Boo's attributes, such as floating and whatnot.)

Funnily enough, they both share the same track! It's the Green Garden theme from Bomberman 64 (although you may have already knew it). Nice to hear ya got a nostalgia boost from that, ha.

Hello Mario Engine is an open-source engine for Game Maker Studios and older versions, not a level creator. I find it the simplest and easiest to use and modify, as this project has been heavily tweaked from the vanilla engine, with a lot of bug fixes and patches I implemented myself. I'm far from the best at coding, so I've had to rely on what I can for now, and hey, we all gotta start somewhere! :pumpit:
Honestly, my parents wouldn't download any game regardless of how the download page was back in the day lol. Also, how is your level design Wario Land 4 inspired ? I haven't really noticed. Any examples ?

Honestly, my parents wouldn't download any game regardless of how the download page was back in the day lol. Also, how is your level design Wario Land 4 inspired ? I haven't really noticed. Any examples ?

Ah, well... at least Flash games weren't buried alive back then lol (R.I.P., but thankfully, they're still reviving them through emulation). And sorry, I shoulda specified, I really meant more so toward the level theming and how 'organic' I wanted the levels themselves to across as (meaning, for example, I wanted the 'nature-y' areas to actually feel authentic, like in Wario Land 4, how 'alive' the areas felt and and breathed, i.e. Mystic Lake and Monsoon Jungle (of course, I couldn't quite convey that in my game to those extremes, but hopefully I'm making some sense here)).

Also WL4-inspired in some of the 'out-there' ideas, such as the library and supermarket levels, and with quite a few enemies pulled straight out of WL4, as well. But the level design itself in its entirety that I attempted to go for is more of a blend juggling between straightforward 2D Marios and Yoshi's Island, in its length and pacing, to which, I tried to make levels stand as far apart from each other as possible, while throwing new gimmicks and enemies each screen. That was what I was shooting for, but I'm still learning~ :waluigithumbsup:

Ah, well... at least Flash games weren't buried alive back then lol (R.I.P., but thankfully, they're still reviving them through emulation)
Yeah ! Super Mario 63, Sonic 3&K and 3D Blast (those last two on online emulators) were my go to as a child!

Back