That empty feeling... [Breath of the Wild] (minor spoilers...kinda)

ShyGuyXXL

Shyster Guyster
Diamond City Insider
After beating Zelda: Breath of the Wild, one time I decided to return to the great plateau, even though I had pretty much done everything I could there.

And... the feeling I got when I walked around there... it was so... lonely.
It felt like what used to be such a lively place was now desolate... and empty...

It felt like something was missing...

...it was the old man.
Now, at first, it may not seem like much... but I soon realized how much of a difference his presence made.
Like when you see the little woodcutter's shack. Before, it was the old man's home, you could see him chop down trees and read his diary...
...but now nobody lives there anymore.
Or the cooking pot in the forest, where he could rate your food and stuff.
...now it's deserted.
Before, wherever you went you could see him do something. It made it feel like he had really been living there for decades...
But now that he's gone it just feels so lonely. Worse than if he had never been there in the first place.

I mean sure, there are still a few bokoblins here and there, ...but they don't take away that melancholic feeling.

And it's not just a lonely feeling in general.
It's this feeling that you experienced a place before it became lonely, so you feel that something has been taken away. That's the kinda feeling I mean.
I was surprised that the game could make me feel that way.

So my question would be, did you feel something similar if you also went back to the plateau?
Or did you feel something similar in a different place in the game?
Or maybe you felt it in a different game altogether?
Share your experiences below.

I just had an idea:
What if, late in the game, there was a sidequest that could bring another character onto the plateau, to live there instead of the old man? Like, a character who is looking for a place that's higher up and that's... I dunno... free from moblins and lizalfos or something. Whatever the reason may be.
That could've made the place feel lively again.

Back