The First Person Shooter thread!

Glowsquid

Mental midget
Diamond City Leader
Thread creation inspired by the fact eyepov-murder games are basically the only style of game I play anymore.

Love 'em or hate 'em, the first person shooter has been a staple of the video game industry since Doom quantifiably reduced the productivity of the American workplace and it's here to stay. Wheter it's old school key hunts, mil sims or Half Life-style cinematic shooters, they are welcomed! Also welcomed is discussions of quote-unquote immersive sims such as Deus Ex and System Shock

-What is your favourite FPS?

-What FPS are you playing currently?

-What subgenre do you prefer? Tactical shooters, "old school", modern linear thrill rides?

The only fps I've ever played is Half Life 2 and it's successors. I loved the depth to the world and how it felt like you were really going on an adventure by foot. But yknow what? That game stresses me tf out, lol. I rather don't enjoy getting shot at. Because of that, I wasn't a fan of the pacing-- I thought the 'tense' segments lasted too long with not enough mellow world-building segments in between. I enjoyed it, though it's not really my cup of tea. The only reason I played it to begin with was because I learned that it was set in the same universe as portal, and I wanted to explore more of that world.

So yeah not interested in fps in general, but if I HAD to play one it would definitely be HL2.

Little difficult to get into FPS especially modern ones, but the ones that manage to stick out for me was the very first two FPS games I've played and own and those were Turok 2 and Golden Eye both for the N64. Still don't understand how I had either games it's one of those games that you just felt like you own. In any case Turok 2 even for an N64 game was huge each level felt like a labryinth. Stillthe only Turok game I've played would like to try to play the others and eventually finish Turok 2 sometime in the future. Another FPS game I've really enjoyed was the 1950's styled Bioshock, really liked the atmosphere of being stuck in an underwater world with no way out it gave a very Metroid feel to the place, a shame I really couldn't get into the other games in the series.

I loves me stuff like Doom or Serious Sam. Gotta think and react while being involved. Like any action game really. I kinda fell out of them until Doom 4 mainly cuz of the "duck under cover and wait for the right moment" style that Gears of War really popularized.

I guess I like "old school FPSs"if that term means anything

I guess I like "old school FPSs"if that term means anything

It really doesn't-I remember reading this rant about how people seem to think the only FPS are either Doom-style or COD-esque while ignoring everything that came in-between. It would be more true there's a before Wolfenstein 3D and after Wolf 3D, a b/a Doom. a b/a Quake 2/ a b/a Half-Life, a b/a Halo, and a b/a Call of Duty. Even then that oversimply things and ignore the many prolific subgenres.

Doom Eternal had gameplay shown at Quakecon today and it looks Perfect, basically

and while overshadowed, Rage 2 is also shaping up damn well

Last edited:
-What is your favourite FPS? Doom/Timesplitters 2/Goldeneye

-What FPS are you playing currently? None

-What subgenre do you prefer? Tactical shooters, "old school", modern linear thrill rides? I prefer horror or sci-fi type shooters

I prefer horror or sci-fi type shooters

Ever played Blood?

----

Yesterday it was announced THQ Nordic bought the Timesplitters license from Crytek, which is a good thing as Crytek was notoriously unwilling to do anything with the property and being with THQ Nordic will guarantee that at the very least, the original games will be rereleased on as many modern platforms as possible.

Last edited:
After 24 (!) years, someone finally found a way to reach a bugged secret in Doom 2 and properly 100% the game

Last edited:
Does third person count as a sub genre? I think I enjoy those more than the traditional fps game.

Im not usually a fps fan, but I actually do enjoy them on occasion. Mostly during the n64 era, which is probly just because I have a history of them with my brothers, which were good times of course.

But not exclusively n64 shooters. Actually when I got a gamecube, I was playing alot of turok on the n64, and wanted to play more games like that. I was looking into turok evolution, of course, but I also became interested in some ww2 games. You know, like medal of honor and call of duty.

I ended up buying both of them, and for some of my first gamecube games, I really did enjoy them. It was fun feeling like I was reliving a piece of history.

Theres alot I dont like about fps games. I feel like their intense, and Im not the kinda "gamer" that likes being stressed out and junk. Ive also never enjoyed having to aim at baddies through a tv screen, haha. Ive never been super good at it.

But there are some things that I actuqlly really enjoy about fps games too, or at least older ones, as I havent played more recent ones. I enjoy having to worry about supplies, like going out of your way to find ammo or health, and actually stumbling on a bunch of it, it can be really fun, haha.

Fps games are generally not my favorite genre of games to play, but I dont like to say I hate them. I enjoy them on occasion, sometimes certain fps games can be a blast. It just depends on the game.

Back