The Wario Land 1 enemy artwork looks interesting...

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
tumblr_mm0qxbAOpi1rrftcdo1_1280.jpg

It's from ChanceTime's blog, and it's pretty cool. But do you know a few things I find interesting here?

How extensive the enemy collection is. I mean, the laser statues get a picture. The knight mini boss gets a picture. The Muncher plants get a picture. Even the giant boulders and falling apples/puddings get a picture!

That's pretty cool. I mean, not many games give a picture and name for every single enemy and obstacle you ever encounter.

The only thing I dislike? The boss artwork. Syrup looks cool. The genie looks ominous. But the penguin and spiked koopa look a bit crap because of the stupid as hell angle the designers picked to show them at. It looks more like they're about to die and fall off the screen...

So yeah, what do you think about this artwork?

It's generally quite good and the fact it includes all of them is a sweet, but some of them are... Amusing. DD definitely needs to start hitting the treadmill, god damn. And Buckethead's projectile doesn't really look like that either, so it's odd that it looks so square as if it's a literal rendition of a sprite.

Also completely agreed. Spiked Koopa looks like a novelty Frisbee.

...I've just noticed, what the hell are those little things on the bottom of Konotako?!

Villi? They actually look a bit like buttholes. Maybe they were made by Dr. Mephisto's brother or something.

I was having trouble figuring out what those knife-throwing and mace-wielding guys were. Turns out they're wolves and moles, respectively. Though I had it figured out, it was hard to tell in-game.

And I still have no idea why NOA didn't localize the rest of these guys' names.

I was having trouble figuring out what those knife-throwing and mace-wielding guys were. Turns out they're wolves and moles, respectively. Though I had it figured out, it was hard to tell in-game.

And I still have no idea why NOA didn't localize the rest of these guys' names.

I did get that Guragura was a mole after a few plays, but I honestly couldn't have told you that Gaugau was a wolf until seeing this artwork, really. He just looks like an ambiguous mammal.

So... question is, was this drawn by the same person who designed the enemies? If so they are much better at making sprites than drawing by hand. ^^
Or maybe they are just interpretations of the sprites that were drawn later. Or they are beta sprites. Or they were drawn by an entirely different person.

But this reminds me.
For YEARS I always misinterpreted that one enemy's sprite:
wutIsaw.png

I don't know why but I always saw it as some sort of beak but then one day I finally saw it was supposed to be a mole nose. xD

Back