Wario Land 1 Appreciation

warelander

Some random guy online
Wario Land 1 often lives under the shadow of the later Land games and while I personally do prefer 2-4 and Shake It myself, I do still consider Land 1 a fantastic plattormer.

If you have elements of the game that you really love feel free to talk about them here.

I for one always loved Kitchen Island as a location:

WL_KitchenIsland.jpg

The design is great and the way how certain secret exits will effect other areas (such as Rice Beach getting flooded) really makes it feel like a place where everything is somewhat conected, not to memtion that it gives a lot of context for the levels you play in.

The soundtrack is good too, my favorite theme being the credits theme:

And of course, we can't forget that this is the game that shaped Wario into who we know him as today, I appreciate the game already for that alone.

The design is great and the way how certain secret exits will effect other areas (such as Rice Beach getting flooded) really makes it feel like a place where everything is somewhat conected, not to memtion that it gives a lot of context for the levels you play in.
Funny how the most overlooked and/or disregarded Nintendo games actually do interesting stuff like this.

Yup, I love it. It feels much more Mario (it's sub-titled Super Mario Land 3 for a reason), but it is actually a great game. I have lots of hours into that one, definitely. I also like the multiple endings thing, the treasures, even the mini-games are lots of fun!

The first Wario Land game is one of the games I have the most nostalgia for, since I played it pretty much endlessly in the day and enjoyed it far more than any Mario game on the system.

Awesome game indeed, even as a precursor to the rest of the series, the game is incredible C: I think my favourite thing about it is that the coins' purpose in this one is to directly affect the ending. Don't get me wrong, I like the functions they had as the series went on, too, but with the first game it's plan and simple, and gives you a simple objective to build up on.

Awesome game indeed, even as a precursor to the rest of the series, the game is incredible C: I think my favourite thing about it is that the coins' purpose in this one is to directly affect the ending. Don't get me wrong, I like the functions they had as the series went on, too, but with the first game it's plan and simple, and gives you a simple objective to build up on.
Coins just feel more special in this game for some reason... so special that I collected 99999 of them on my first save file d:p

Replaying this game and I still love it. I've always liked how some levels can only be played for a limited time. Take level 10 as an example. After you hit the switch in level 12 it transforms into level 13 and you can't play level 10 again unless you start a new file. That blew my mind as a child.

I also like how Wario controls in this game. Wario feels really powerful. I like how enemies can only really hurt you if they have pointy weapons or projectile attacks.

My favorite power is Jet Wario.

Replaying this game and I still love it. I've always liked how some levels can only be played for a limited time. Take level 10 as an example. After you hit the switch in level 12 it transforms into level 13 and you can't play level 10 again unless you start a new file. That blew my mind as a child.

I also like how Wario controls in this game. Wario feels really powerful. I like how enemies can only really hurt you if they have pointy weapons or projectile attacks.

My favorite power is Jet Wario.
Jet Wario is incredibly over-powered, though xD
The final level including the final boss is a complete joke if you use Jet Wario, while without the boss can actually be quite difficult.

This just made me think that this game would work well as a Smash stage.

Similar to the Dream Land stage on Smash 3DS, it would take place in a Game Boy.
It would work the same as that stage, the main difference being that it takes place in Wario Land 1 instead. The fight goes on in most places of the game, some segments scrolling, and similar transitioning between areas.

Continuing my replay. I just beat Stove Canyon and SS Tea Cup. Bobo is a joke once you learn that you can hurt him with the Dragon Wario power up.

I liked this one the best of all the Wario Land games. It was more Mario-like in its power-ups and all. Having to purposely get hit by enemies to transform into things in the other games just felt a bit too weird.

And apparently, Wario Land has been one of those franchises that's entirely dependent on willing third-party teams for survival. Been that way after Wario Land 4.

Finished my replaythrough.

607 you were not joking about Jet Wario being overpowered. Before this playthrough I had never tried to attack the last bosses weakpoint by flying at it with the jet powerup.

Also I love Wario's coin toss move, it's handy when you're Tiny Wario.

All in all this is still a great game that still holds up very well.

One thing that I really like about this game, but never see brought up is just how different Wario feels from Mario when playing, especially when compared to it's technical predecessor Super Mario Land 2.

Mario is quick on his feet and has great jumping abilitys, but he is also frail and can get damaged even by the most pathetic of enemies, such as Goombas.

Wario on the other hand is quite the hunk, he moves at a much slower pace, doesn't even have a run button in ANY of his games (outside of VB Wario Land and Thief Wario might also count since he is naturally faster) and needs the Super Jump in order to come even close to jumps that Mario can do just normally, but he makes up for those flaws with pure strenght, enemies can't damage him without any sort of weapon and running into them will either push them away or tumble them over, meaning that Wario can just casually pick them up and throw them away afterwards and last of all his attacks feel like they have a lot of impact, charging into bad guys or using Bull Wario's ground pound, really put an emphasis on Wario being a force to be reckoned with, almost like a playable boss character in fact!

This all may sound extremly small, but given that this was Wario's first game I think it did a great job at showcasing what makes Wario a completely different beast than Mario and how they don't need to be alike at all, even if the core style of the whole game is still largely the same.

One thing that I really like about this game, but never see brought up is just how different Wario feels from Mario when playing, especially when compared to it's technical predecessor Super Mario Land 2.

Mario is quick on his feet and has great jumping abilitys, but he is also frail and can get damaged even by the most pathetic of enemies, such as Goombas.

Wario on the other hand is quite the hunk, he moves at a much slower pace, doesn't even have a run button in ANY of his games (outside of VB Wario Land and Thief Wario might also count since he is naturally faster) and needs the Super Jump in order to come even close to jumps that Mario can do just normally, but he makes up for those flaws with pure strenght, enemies can't damage him without any sort of weapon and running into them will either push them away or tumble them over, meaning that Wario can just casually pick them up and throw them away afterwards and last of all his attacks feel like they have a lot of impact, charging into bad guys or using Bull Wario's ground pound, really put an emphasis on Wario being a force to be reckoned with, almost like a playable boss character in fact!

This all may sound extremly small, but given that this was Wario's first game I think it did a great job at showcasing what makes Wario a completely different beast than Mario and how they don't need to be alike at all, even if the core style of the whole game is still largely the same.
Congratulations! Here is your award of 'Ultimate Truth Speaker of the World!

\____/
_\__/_
_(1st)_

Seriously, perfect summary of why I think WL1 is so much fun to play, particularly the 'playable boss' notion.

Back