Wario Speedruns.. hmm.

I'm new to this forum (go me and my lack of knowledge.)
So I apologize if things are posted in the wrong places and whatnot.
I main Wario in Project M and brawl.(to the groans of my peers :p)
Glad to join a WAHnderful community of people engaged in the garlic munching slob, who is my favorite nintendo character.

I've been searching around for game speedruns, in particular Master of Dusguise.
But in general, Wario speedruns seem to interest me.

Does anyone know of a place or thread where I can find any?
If you do any of your own that's awesome too. I shave time off my MoD saves on DS sometimes.
Thanks!

Master of Disguise is a tricky one to find. There's generally not a lot of interest in running it due to a couple of factors.

1) 3/DS games are hard to record & stream, due to needing a special modded setup, so you don't see a lot of it going on. You can emulate them, but that has it's own issues, such as hardware matching, and the awkwardness of using a mouse and such.

2) Master of Disguise is probably the least liked of the Wario platformers, and I haven't really seen a lot of people who want to go through the effort of recording setup just for it.

Master of Disguise is a tricky one to find. There's generally not a lot of interest in running it due to a couple of factors.

1) 3/DS games are hard to record & stream, due to needing a special modded setup, so you don't see a lot of it going on. You can emulate them, but that has it's own issues, such as hardware matching, and the awkwardness of using a mouse and such.

2) Master of Disguise is probably the least liked of the Wario platformers, and I haven't really seen a lot of people who want to go through the effort of recording setup just for it.

All of this. The wario speedrun community is rather small mostly consisting of around 5-9 people, myself included. However, it was discussed a couple of times awhile back about it. 00greenbean00 attempted to run it, but there was too much backtracking required and he lost interest. The overall pacing of the game is rather bad in our opinion. I personally don't like that game myself.

And I actually somewhat discourage using SDA forums to get ahold of any of us. I recommend going over to http://www.speedrun.com to see all of the more up-to-date videos, contact information, etc. A few of us don't actively visit SDA forums often anymore. (and there's always reddit too but eh...)

Also, one of these days I should try to get an updated video for a sub 45 minute run in wario world, the current one I submitted over on SDA is pretty old and outdated. Mentioning because I totally forgot about I ever did that and saw it mentioned in the second post, haha.

Anyway, I think this is one of these games that is more suited for a TAS.

i checked that speedrun dot com site and I was surprised to see that not only most of the warioware series has entries, but that there's a not-insignificant variation in times posted

how do you speedrun warioware

i checked that speedrun dot com site and I was surprised to see that not only most of the warioware series has entries, but that there's a not-insignificant variation in times posted

how do you speedrun warioware

I always poke fun at those that run that game, hehe. You really can't, but I am aware that (I think the first WarioWare game) actually has ONE minigame where you can actually go faster which is completely based on luck. I forget what that minigame is, I think it was the last one you do to beat the game.

As for the rest in that series, I don't really know. I only knew that for that game because Vlacksr and his friend explained that bit to me.

i was pretty confused by the games being up there because I thought the speedrunning community didn't really do runs for genres like shmups (games where scrolling spped and progression is automatic, so the sppedrunning is limited to "how fast you can kill the bosses"). the first WW is even more limited than that.

Smooth Moves does have games with variable lengths and a fixed microgame order on a first-time playthrough, but even there it's kinda limited. I was half-expecting using glitches to skip chunks of the game like in those crazy TA runs, lol.

i was pretty confused by the games being up there because I thought the speedrunning community didn't really do runs for genres like shmups (games where scrolling spped and progression is automatic, so the sppedrunning is limited to "how fast you can kill the bosses"). the first WW is even more limited than that.

Smooth Moves does have games with variable lengths and a fixed microgame order on a first-time playthrough, but even there it's kinda limited. I was half-expecting using glitches to skip chunks of the game like in those crazy TA runs, lol.

When I watched some of the runs of those games on their respected twitch tv channels, it was setup for races. Which means, a couple or so people get together and use a count down timer to start at the sametime and see which one beats the game the fastest. It's not as interesting as watching a race done with one of the platformer wario games but it was funny nonetheless. Just a couple people took it a bit further to see if anything could be done faster.

The most popular wario speedruns are these; Wario Land 2, 3 and 4.
The least popular; Wario Land 1, Virtual Boy Wario Land and Wario World
The....most boring watches; Wario Land Shake It!, Wario Master of Disguise

And before anyone asks about Shake It! it's because there's no tricks for Shake It! but rather extreme optimization so you have to look at that one in a different light compared to the others.

If you want to start running one of those, most people start with Wario Land 2 because it's the easiest of the bunch to pick up and speedrun even if you aren't that good.

You can find lots of speedruns on Youtube or speedrun dedicated sites. Or try to speedrun a game yourself.
I did Mega Microgame$ in 58 minutes and 31.7 seconds. Try to beat that!

Back