Wario's Side-Smash

KingDragonWario

Virtual Boy Apologist
All of us are familiar with how Wario's side smash was changed from his signature shoulder bash to a generic backhanded punch for the newest Smash Brothers release. It's been a controversial change amongst us Wario fans for sure, but what I'm looking for is reasons.

What reasons did Sakurai and his team have for replacing Wario's most iconic move? Do both moves work exactly the same aside from animation? What are the differences and why couldn't they have just nerfed the shoulder bash instead? I haven't played Brawl in a very long time, so I'm looking for answers from some of you. In the meantime, feel free to add your theories and opinions in here (because what would a discussion be without 'em? :p)

You can't make a shoulder bash look like it has startup lag so no one could dodge it. Wario's shoulder bash only has lag after the move is done. I'm not sure if there is a single side smash attack in SSB4 that can't be dodged by rolling. I'm guessing it's changed to balance the game out. I think his new smash attack has better range.

You can't make a shoulder bash look like it has startup lag so no one could dodge it. Wario's shoulder bash only has lag after the move is done. I'm not sure if there is a single side smash attack in SSB4 that can't be dodged by rolling. I'm guessing it's changed to balance the game out. I think his new smash attack has better range.
Well now the startup lag has been reversed to cooldown lag.

It did, if you ask me. Why they removed it is a question that we may never know the answer to.

A shame, too, because in Brawl, I tend to use it. Probably more than I should.

Yeah. Project M Wario may retain the Waft, but at least that makes him a slight combination of Smash Wario and the true Wario at worst (it leans towards Land more, of course).

Yeah. Project M Wario may retain the Waft, but at least that makes him a slight combination of Smash Wario and the true Wario at worst (it leans towards Land more, of course).
I don't mind the waft on its own, I mean wario is disgusting, but its when they start to plug it more like in his boxing ring alias and victory animation and acting like it's a character defining trait where it starts to grate on my nerves.

I don't mind the waft on its own, I mean wario is disgusting, but its when they start to plug it more like in his boxing ring alias and victory animation and acting like it's a character defining trait where it starts to grate on my nerves.
Who even was like "Yup, this is his most endearing trait let's put that everywhere." They lowered his likeability down to that of some kid who blows raspberries and thinks he's really funny for doing so.

In Japan his alias is 圧巻の圧巻 (The Best of the Best), which fits more, so I'm starting to think it's the localization team's fault.

Last edited:
Wario losing his Shoulder Bash as his side smash in Smash 4/Kerfuffle was crushing. I mean sure it's a bit better ranged now.... but his Shoulder Bash had SUPER ARMOUR. IT WAS SO GREAT HOW HE COULD JUST PLAIN NO SELL ATTACKS OR EVEN PLOW RIGHT THROUGH THEN WITH HIS OWN. The Shoulder Bash being a respectable killing move was good too.

Gotta say I haven't played either Smash in a while, but Wario's moveset always felt... shallow? I mean for a game that loves to brag about all the little details and references it's surprising how little there is to Wario's moveset. Farts because he's gross? Punches because he's strong? Eating people because his mouth is huge? W-uppercut thingy becauuuuse... it's... his symbol? And now not even the shoulder barge that's so iconic? I mean, if they didn't feel like it was important to keep THAT at the very least it shows that they don't really care...

The closest thing to a reference seems to be the motorbike from the Ware games... I dunno, it feels like if Wario Land games never existed to Ninty. There's plenty of moves to take from there both from his default ones and the transformations but... nothing? :c

Oh no, guys, they totally care about the Land series. I mean, Smash attributed it through... One single music track from the most recent game! Clearly they know their shit.

Back