WarioWare DIY: Bargain-Bin Title?

fantanoice

Wario Fan Supreme
Hey folks.

So, lately I've been visiting my local game shop and keep seeing WarioWare DIY for quite cheap (often around $10 new). I never owned the game so I can't comment on its quality, though from what I heard, it was popular with critics and sold reasonably well, so I'm unsure why it has basically been reduced to bargain bin status. Any ideas?

Also, before anyone comments that it is old, bear in mind that in Australia they're still selling Super Mario 64 DS for about $50 new so that's not really an effective argument. :p

and sold reasonably well

Not really. It was by far the least-selling WW in Japan and though I don't have precise sales data outside of fucking VGChartz, everything points to it (including the bargain-bin price) having bombed horribly elsewhere.

I suppose, but that also depends what their expected sales were as well. I mean, if they realised during development that it may have a divided audience then perhaps they predicted it only getting around 100,000 sales, therefore putting in a number of cost-saving measures to counter that.

I really don't think "competing" with Touched was a factor; Twisted did very well despite largely having the same format and being released on the same platform as the OG game (and yes it did have the "gimmick" of twist controls, but then DIY's "gimmick" was user creation)

Goro Abe said he thought people wanted to make their own WW microgames, but they probably should've done more market research: I don't think all that many people were itching to make their own WarioWare. Now including an editor is fine in itself, but they prolly should've framed it as "A proper WarioWare sequel with an editor" instead of "An editor with half of a lousy WarioWare game".

Back