Was Captain Syrup originally planned to be Wario's nemesis?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Because Wario Land 1 and Wario Land II always seemed a lot more connected than the other games content wise, and I'm curious whether that meant Nintendo was planning to give Wario a regular nemesis/arch enemy and cast before the whole 'standalone stories' thing took hold.

What do you think?

I wonder as well. Part of me doubts it since she wasn't in the Virtual Boy Wario Land which was released inbetween Wario Land 1 and 2. So Nintendo clearly had no problem getting rid of her after the first game.
I don't think that we'll ever know for sure.

I don't like the idea of one regular villain that appears all the time. It was neat that she appeared again in WL2 and had a supporting role in Shake it but I wouldn't wanna see her ALL the time. Like how Bowser is the villain in every Mario game now. I'm getting sick of only seeing him and the same would happen if Syrup was the villain in every Wario game.

I don't like the idea of one regular villain that appears all the time. It was neat that she appeared again in WL2 and had a supporting role in Shake it but I wouldn't wanna see her ALL the time. Like how Bowser is the villain in every Mario game now. I'm getting sick of only seeing him and the same would happen if Syrup was the villain in every Wario game.
I would prefer to have one established villain for Wario Land instead of it jumping around with it's cast. That way we'll have more candidates for Smash Bros. :p

I wonder as well. Part of me doubts it since she wasn't in the Virtual Boy Wario Land which was released inbetween Wario Land 1 and 2. So Nintendo clearly had no problem getting rid of her after the first game.
I don't think that we'll ever know for sure.
The same could apply for Bobo, actually (although he wasn't a main antagonist).

I would prefer to have one established villain for Wario Land instead of it jumping around with it's cast. That way we'll have more candidates for Smash Bros. :p
But wouldn't that get repetitive really quickly?
I like to see new villains like the Golden Diva or Rudy the Clown.
She should still appear regularly, just not EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Id like to see Wario come back as a Mario antagonist. New Super Mario Bros 2 was about GOLD and they wasted that opportunity with a Bowser retread

New Super Mario Bros 2 was plain lazy in every way. Lazy level designs/themes, lazy ideas (skeleton plants, really?), lazy music choices, and yeah, completely lacking the one character who would make a gold theme make sense.

But wouldn't that get repetitive really quickly?
I like to see new villains like the Golden Diva or Rudy the Clown.
She should still appear regularly, just not EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Yeah. Use a villain too much, and you get Bowser in the Mario platformers. Kind of boring to see him turn up again and again and again...

The same could apply for Bobo, actually (although he wasn't a main antagonist).

I think the best solution would probably be to have two things:

1. A villain that turns up every few games. Maybe a few that alternate with each other and new villains to provide variety.

2. A cast of characters that aren't all villains, that appear in multiple games. The reason Wario has struggled so much is because the Wario Land cast list is so irregular to be basically non existent, there's no one to feel invested in bar Wario himself (and the villain you'll likely never see again).

Back