[Poll] What did you like/dislike about Wario Land Shake It?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
For me, I'd say the graphics and music were probably the strongest points, and made the game almost seem like an interactive cartoon at times. The bosses were pretty cool too, even if they did get insanely hard near the end (hey there Scumflower and Shake King!)

However, I didn't like a lot of the level design that much, felt the transformations weren't used very well (both in terms of how many there were and how rarely they were used in levels) and felt like the level of originality was extremely low compared to the earlier games, with only the bosses and certain rare levels (think Glittertown/Neon City) feeling like more than generic video game world themes and gimmicks.

But what did you like/dislike about the game?

Dislikes:
I think the cutscenes looked too anime-ish for my taste. I think a cartoony style fits Wario better. The japanese Wario Land 3 commercial pretty much nailed the style.

I didn't like the motion control segments AT ALL. The submarine levels, rocket bucket levels, unibucket levels, the second boss, all awful and boring.

I think the level themes coul've been more creative. There are also too many ruins-nature-type levels.

I'm trying to think if there's anything the game does better than the other Wario Lands...
hm...

I don't like how the level design was a step back from Wario Land 4 and how they didn't iterate more on the motion-control challenges. The level challenges are quite simple and don't build in complexity and variation like in Wario Land 4. I also didn't like how it was easy it miss things in the levels and not be able to go back and get them. This wasn't really a problem in Wario Land 4 (although you did have the timer in the post-fold parts of the levels, at least you were already familiar with most of the level by then, and the timer wasn't too strict anyway).

It didn't have that wham or bam that other Wario Land games had. So definitely the sounds and effects were very disappointing despite the great visuals and music. See when I shoulder charge into an enemy, I want it to sound like it hurts! Nope, in this game when you attack an enemy it goes piff.

When it comes right down to it, a good Wario game makes it feel fun to be Wario. It should be fun too!

It didn't have that wham or bam that other Wario Land games had. So definitely the sounds and effects were very disappointing despite the great visuals and music. See when I shoulder charge into an enemy, I want it to sound like it hurts! Nope, in this game when you attack an enemy it goes piff.

When it comes right down to it, a good Wario game makes it feel fun to be Wario. It should be fun too!

Yeah, I understand that. This has to be the only Wario Land games where enemies seem to more deflate like a balloon than actually die when they're hit.

Also, did anyone else think the enemies in this game were wildly variable in terms of quality? Cause I liked all the undead enemies and the penguins and stuff, but the Bandineros... eh. The default ones especially, because they were literally completely harmless, yet made up about 60% of the monsters you fight in the game.

Back