Why a Mario anime could never work

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Or in better terms, why if any series deserves to an anime adaptation, it's the WarioWare one!

Basically:

There have been 171 different Mario games as of this point in time. Yeah, the total includes the Wario Land, WarioWare, Yoshi and Donkey Kong series, but let's mostly include it anyway.

If you adapted them on a per game per episode basis and ran them to a Japanese anime TV schedule (about 52 episodes), you'd take 3 and a half years just to get through the games that already exist, and then waste another two adapting the stuff released in the meantime.

And if you assumed more episodes for reasonability (say, about 150 per game, ala the Pokemon anime) you would get a massive 25,560 episodes worth of content. This is about twice as many episodes as the longest ever running TV show, and about 4 or 5 times as many as the longest running anime series on television.

Oh, and it'd take you 70 years to air them daily. Or about 500 to air them weekly.

What's more, even adapting just this year's Mario games would take you three years.

Now, contrast this to a WarioWare adaptation. You wouldn't need to stick close to the games, so you could make episodes at a reasonable pace. And even if you did, there are few enough unique games you'd have a comfortable time keeping up with each new game in the series.

Interesting isn't it?

If you adapted them on a per game per episode basis and ran them to a Japanese anime TV schedule (about 52 episodes), you'd take 3 and a half years just to get through the games that already exist, and then waste another two adapting the stuff released in the meantime.

This is of course assuming that:

1: An hypothetical Mario anime would adapt tightly plotted masterpieces like Super Mario Bros. & Friends: When I Grow Up and Mario no Photopi

2: That an hypothetical Mario anime would devote 52 episodes to plotless games instead of "adapting" multiples a season (ala Sonic X). It's like, man, the DIC SMW cartoon adapted the entire game in one episode. Seems kinda unefficient to me???

3: That an hypothetical Mario anime would even bother to adapt specific games instead of being just about Mario 'n' frenz. There,s some demand for Mario cartoon, but not for a Super Mario Bros. 3 cartoon (But there's people asking for a Donkey Kong 64 anime. Figures.)

A WarioWare anime would be cool but geez, CM30, I don't know. Your maths seem kinda suspicious to me : p.

Well........ Not really.

If there ever was a Mario anime (or hell, even another western cartoon), they'd likely go down the same route that Sonic did with either Sonic X or Sonic Boom (or even do like Kirby with his anime) where it would be set in either it's own distinct but familiar universe or a whole newly interpreted one altogether.

It's also pretty likely that they wouldn't actually adapt any of the games for plotlines if they were to do an anime (or at least not many of them), and instead would just create their own plotlines (and considering all the sports tournaments and stuff they'd have their fair share of material too.), because realistically... Mario's adventures probably wouldn't prove too interesting animated since for the majority all he's doing is running through various locales. Not exactly thrilling stuff.

A WarioWare anime would have good potential though. The artstyle of the games is alright anime-esque and all, and the cast of WarioWare is unique and varied enough that they would be able to devise some interesting plots and situations as Wario tries to get rich in the same vein of saturday morning cartoons. I know I'd watch it.

Side Note: I sorta realise... a Wario centric show would very much be like Ed, Edd and Eddy plot wise....

even if they'd never go in that direction. I think WarioWare could be the basis for a great satire of the video game industry. Featuring rumbuctious. kid-friendly plots such as...

(copypasting a bunch of shit I posted in another thread):

Episode 1:
Wario gets the idea to promote his products with a cartoon! But animation is expensive.

EPISODE 2:
Wario takes his animation bussiness to South Korea, only to learn the meaning of "you get what you pay for".

EPISODE 3:
WarioWare Inc. gets in steamy waters after a journalist reveals its usage of unpaid child workers.

EPISODE 4:
Wario wants to release games for MacroHardware's hot OpenGL Contrainer system, but his products fail quality certification.

EPISODE 5:
Wario's cronyic apointment of Waluigi as the next CEO of WarioWare Inc. gets him in the trouble with the shareholders

EPISODE 6:
Ashley and Kat & Ana are invited to the anual smash bros tournament, only to discover the other guests are disgusting dudebros

EPISODE 7:
The female smashers (under the banner of the Civil Kerkuffle) unite against the male smashers (the Extreme Pugilist Fraternity), but both unite when Jigglypuff attempts to kill the organizers of the Smash Bros. tournament

EPISODE 8
Jimmy T. is haunted by the horrible memories of his time serving during the GREAT APE WAR

EPISODE 9
9-Volt discovers his newest game is haunted

EPISODE 10
Wario throws his full support between the up-and-coming Ayuo system. But at what cost?

EPISODE 11:
Angered by his portrayal in the documentary Melee: An history of Brawl, Wario hunts down one name Mashahiro Sakurai...

Warioware could work as a great Satire as Glowsquid said or just a goofy Animaniacs style show with different plots centering around the different characters and a mix of Satire of the video game industry. Maybe 9 Volt and 18 Volt are in line for the newest toys to life product but a middle aged scalper (Maybe even Wario) cuts in line and gets the last one. The rest of the episode could be them doing whatever they can to get it back. I'd like everything to be interconnected as well so each character can be minor characters in another characters story.

I dunno, I could see a Mario show working if they decide to make new stories.

Said new stories should at least try to keep the spirit of the franchise, though, and that's where I worry.

Back