Why did this injustice happen? (Smash Bros)

Nintengasm

Hocus Pocus!
If this has been discussed, please re-direct me. I'm not sure how far back I should dig.

This song was left out of the US version of Smash U. Why?

I'd like to say it has something to do with VAs or artists, but Ashley's old Japanese singer didn't do this one. But then again, if it means keeping that HORRID Emily lady away from Ashley's song again, I suppose it's an acceptable exchange.

Off-topic-yet-on-topic, but I still wonder why Ashley's Assist Trophy doesn't even grunt or something. She's one of the very few Assists (besides Isabelle and some mute characters) that don't speak at all in SSB.

I have no idea. If they couldn't translate it, why not just leave it in as-is? It would probably be easier than just taking it out, I say.

Also, why doesn't Ashley speak? They couldn't just reuse voice clips from past games?

So... why do you need the Western 'rights' for a song Nintendo owns from a series they own the IP rights to?

Aren't Nintendo game songs basically 'work for hire'? As in, the rights immediately go to the company rather than the 'artist'?

Either way, there's no excuse for no re recording the song again. I mean, it's a new game. In the olden days, that meant no recycling stuff like music and graphics and whatever else.

Well, that type of situation is not entirely unprecedented in the vidya industry. For example, Sega doesn't actually own the rights to the soundtrack of the first two Sonic gaems, and quite a few chinese cartoons tie-in have licensed song from the original series cut from the western versions.

But yes, it seems dubious. Hence the salt : p.

In the olden days, that meant no recycling stuff like music and graphics and whatever else.

Unlike Lost Levels, Mega Men, Doom 2 and etc.? : p

Well, that type of situation is not entirely unprecedented in the vidya industry. For example, Sega doesn't actually own the rights to the soundtrack of the first two Sonic gaems, and quite a few chinese cartoons tie-in have licensed song from the original series cut from the western versions.

But yes, it seems dubious. Hence the salt : p.

Unlike Lost Levels, Mega Men, Doom 2 and etc.? : p

Nintendo only rather rarely used to recycle stuff. The main examples I can think of were Lost Levels, Majora's Mask and a few minor other examples here and there, like a few enemies from Mario Land 2 recycled for Wario Land 1 and a couple of things from Galaxy 1 in Galaxy 2.

And heck, even Majora's Mask only recycled some models and textures. It still added a lot of new stuff, and bothered to replace the soundtrack.

I really don't know why they didn't released the song in the west, maybe SSB Team/Nintendo were like:

"Sakurai-sama, we almost finished 99% of the game, the Wario series is what is left, what we do sir?"
''HAHAHAH nothing, just reuse the songs of the last Super Smash Bros. game since the westerns love reused stuffs and we'll make a new song only for us, and add some WarioWare characters with their G&W outfits as trophies . Oh and don't forget about putting Ashley as a Assistant Trophy to see how we looovee Wario so much!"

"Lol yes sir."

Just a idea, that's all.

If this has been discussed, please re-direct me. I'm not sure how far back I should dig.

This song was left out of the US version of Smash U. Why?

I'd like to say it has something to do with VAs or artists, but Ashley's old Japanese singer didn't do this one. But then again, if it means keeping that HORRID Emily lady away from Ashley's song again, I suppose it's an acceptable exchange.

Off-topic-yet-on-topic, but I still wonder why Ashley's Assist Trophy doesn't even grunt or something. She's one of the very few Assists (besides Isabelle and some mute characters) that don't speak at all in SSB.

The Emily lady did a good job at Ashley, and this song is horrible, so I'm glad it isn't in the US version.

No.

It's just that I don't like anything Ashley. Please don't be mean to me about not liking Ashley products and I won't be mean to you.

Yeah, just because I don't like Ashley doesn't mean you should go bonkers over why.

Unless, You are an Ashley addict.

What fans think:

warioware_Ashley_by_Sammypipluppmd2fan.jpg

What Not Fans think:
BMW-1-Series-Kermit-the-Frog-TV-Commercial-2005-06F6E451500698A.jpeg

Last edited:
I had never heard the Japanese version of Ashley's song!! Thanks much for posting, Nintengasm. Was it removed from all versions or just NTSC?

Back