Why hasn't Wario been playable in more Mario games?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
As in, actual mainstream platformers (and I guess RPGs) instead of just Mario Kart games and spinoffs?

Because let's face it, Wario's way cooler than freaking Miis or Nabbit (or different colour Toads), so why not make him playable in one of these games instead?

It worked in Super Mario 64 DS...

According to Miyamoto this is the reason.
Both Daisy and Wario were originally drawn as part of the “Mario Land” games and had the same illustrator. The art style of those games was different from the “Mario World” series with Mario, Luigi and Princess Peach, and for a long time that was the reason that we didn’t have those characters enter into each other’s stories.

Through the sports games, then you started to see the overall character lineup grow a little more. What’s interesting is, because we’ve moved into an era where the characters have moved from some of the hand-drawn or the 2-D illustration style into the full 3-D model style, the differences between the art styles are no longer there. So, although originally we never had them entering each other’s stories because of the different art styles of the different games, perhaps now we don’t have to follow that condition anymore.

On “Super Mario 64″ for the DS, that game did, in fact, have a multiplayer mode that Wario appeared in.
Source: http://nintendo3dsdaily.com/nintend...o-storylines-because-of-differing-art-styles/

Personally I call BS on his reasoning.

Yeah, it is stupid reasoning. Indeed, we (yes, the owners of Wario Forums also own Nintendo 3DS Daily and Community) called him out on that in that original news article too.

His original excuse for not having Wario in NSMBW was that they would have had to add a "fart attack". How stupid does Miyamoto think we are?

Excuse me?
How is this...
SML_Daisy.png

that much different from this?
Classic_Princess_Peach.png

Or how's this...
Wario_folding_arms_WL.png

so different from this?
SMB-Mario_Jumping.png

I'd sooner believe that Miyamoto was just too arrogant to use characters he didn't create.

And if that really WAS the problem back then, then why haven't they used Daisy in anything other than character rosters until TODAY?

His original excuse for not having Wario in NSMBW was that they would have had to add a "fart attack". How stupid does Miyamoto think we are?
I think that quote of Miyamoto's shows just how much he doesn't care about Wario if he thinks that Wario would have to have a fart attack.

He probably doesn't believe that Wario would need a fart attack. He probably just hates Wario and is coming up with dumb excuses to cover up the fact.

I don't think it's hate so much as he doesn't care about the characters that Nintendo R&D 1 created. Miyamoto clearly has an idea in his head about what the Mario series should and shouldn't be, and the R&D 1 characters such as Daisy and Wario don't factor into how he sees the Mario universe.

Heck Miyamoto doesn't even seem to like characters that are in games that he was involved with. He wasn't happy with Rosalina and her storybook in Super Mario Galaxy and made it very clear that that wouldn't be allowed to happen again.

I think Nintendo could be worried Wario could drive away Mario fans with a bit of grotesque behaviour.
Or they put him in, keep him 'clean' and people investigate into Wario and get grossed out.

I think Nintendo could be worried Wario could drive away Mario fans with a bit of grotesque behaviour.
Or they put him in, keep him 'clean' and people investigate into Wario and get grossed out.

But WarioWare isn't that gross, and it has already been toned down quite a bit in the more recent games.

Back