Would you want the hats from Wario Land 1 back?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
In a future game?

I know the transformations have mostly replaced traditional power ups and what not, but to be honest, a really old school Wario Land game with the hats could actually be pretty fun about now, especially if it mixes the level design of the newer games with some of the power ups and ideas of the first two (including the Virtual Boy one).

There may be some problems with having hats coexist with transformations such as fire blocks and the Dragon Hat but that could easily be changed to a hat that blows bubbles or something. I can imagine more difficult level designs because of the combinations of hats and transformations or even if Wario loses his hat during a transformation. I think the game would be more exciting with hats.

If they were to make a return then they should work the way they do in Virtual Boy Wario Land. Being able to combine the dragon and eagle hats into the king dragon Hat was awesome and the dragon hat was much more useful.

If they were to make a return then they should work the way they do in Virtual Boy Wario Land. Being able to combine the dragon and eagle hats into the king dragon Hat was awesome and the dragon hat was much more useful.

Oh yes. Then again, you know what would be even better?

Merging hats and transformations for really odd puzzles and gimmicks. Like Wario being on fire while flying through the area with a jetpack. Crazy awesome or what?

Merging hats and transformations for really odd puzzles and gimmicks. Like Wario being on fire while flying through the area with a jetpack. Crazy awesome or what?
That...sounds... awesome... but very complicated xD
Awesomely complicated? :p

Merging the dragon hat with the flat Wario hat could lead to sending fire up. Jet puffy Wario could send himself up or sideways faster. We had combining hats in VB Wario Land, so maybe Wario should combine transformations as well, and combine combined hats and transformations. Imagine invisible flaming spring king dragon hat Wario. Or just flaming zombie Wario for the fun of never burning to a crisp until he's not a zombie.

That...sounds... awesome... but very complicated xD
Awesomely complicated? :p

Wario Land is not a 'simple' series. You want boringly simple gameplay, then play New Super Mario Bros or something.

Merging the dragon hat with the flat Wario hat could lead to sending fire up. Jet puffy Wario could send himself up or sideways faster. We had combining hats in VB Wario Land, so maybe Wario should combine transformations as well, and combine combined hats and transformations. Imagine invisible flaming spring king dragon hat Wario. Or just flaming zombie Wario for the fun of never burning to a crisp until he's not a zombie.

That would be absolutely incredible. It'd be like, the strangest platformer ever made!

Wario Land going from powerups to ailment transformations was one of the things that defined it as its own series and not just an extension of Mario. It created interesting new gameplay experiences that had never been done before. I don't think they should ever just turn back from that, but they already turned back from invincibility, which was one of the things that made Wario Land 2 and 3 so unique, so who knows.

I would totally welcome back a return of Wario's hard-hat from Wario Land 1, just for purely aesthetic purposes. That hat was stylin'.

The power ups not so much though. Ignoring that the transformations have taken over as the de-facto Wario shtick, the hats weren't the best visual indicator for differing forms for a character (especially for a system like the Game Boy at the time). There's ways to be more clear after all.

Here's the thing, with power-ups that are lost upon damage, as with the Mario games, you can't design levels (and especially bosses) to only be beaten with them used as the main gimmick. After all, what if you don't have them? I thought the effects of the hats were indeed pretty cool, but given how Wario Land came to be designed over time, I don't think they would stack up quite as nicely. With the first Wario Land it made sense, seeing as, like the title states, it is Super Mario Land 3, but the series went on to grow its own balls, and I don't really think it'd be necessary to go back to that style.

Wouldn't mind it if it were done with some new ideas for how the system works, mind.

Well actually you can. You provide alternative routes and endings based on what power ups are available.

Unfortunately, Nintendo seems unwilling to consider this sort of game design, despite how awesome it could be if done correctly.

Well actually you can. You provide alternative routes and endings based on what power ups are available.

Unfortunately, Nintendo seems unwilling to consider this sort of game design, despite how awesome it could be if done correctly.

Oh yeah, for sure! One of the best examples being the alternate routes in the original NSMB for beating bosses with the Mini Mushroom.

Here's the thing, with power-ups that are lost upon damage, as with the Mario games, you can't design levels (and especially bosses) to only be beaten with them used as the main gimmick. After all, what if you don't have them? I thought the effects of the hats were indeed pretty cool, but given how Wario Land came to be designed over time, I don't think they would stack up quite as nicely. With the first Wario Land it made sense, seeing as, like the title states, it is Super Mario Land 3, but the series went on to grow its own balls, and I don't really think it'd be necessary to go back to that style.

Well the majority of bosses in Wario Land aren't really built around using a specific form to combat them either (usually the form is what serves to throw you out of the fight in alot of cases) so that's a moot point. But missions, puzzles or side-paths that require a power up to reach wouldn't be much different from the current Wario Land style of using a transformation to get through, just with the added effect that taking damage bars you from completing that specific part (though all that serves is adding an extra layer of difficulty).

Though yeah, Wario's set up in his games already works for him so there wouldn't be as much need for it. Considering how Wario's health system works in his platformers too (either immortal or a pretty hefty heart meter), power ups lost by taking damage is sorta clunky when played on top of that.

Well the majority of bosses in Wario Land aren't really built around using a specific form to combat them either (usually the form is what serves to throw you out of the fight in alot of cases) so that's a moot point. But missions, puzzles or side-paths that require a power up to reach wouldn't be much different from the current Wario Land style of using a transformation to get through, just with the added effect that taking damage bars you from completing that specific part (though all that serves is adding an extra layer of difficulty).

Though yeah, Wario's set up in his games already works for him so there wouldn't be as much need for it. Considering how Wario's health system works in his platformers too (either immortal or a pretty hefty heart meter), power ups lost by taking damage is sorta clunky when played on top of that.

Good call!

Back