Your first video game experience

MonaWare

do wa ditty
Diamond City Insider
Wasnt sure if a thread like this already existed, but dont remember seeing one so think its a good time to start one.

So yeah, do you remember the first video game you played? Or at least, the first game(s) that got you excited about trying out others?

For me, it would be the NES. I always say the N64 was my first console, and it WAS the first console that I personally owned and collected games for. But my first time playing video games were for the NES.

We had a handful of games we played. The ones I remember most are super mario world 1,2 and 3, Air Fortress, Pro RC-AM, and Legend of Kage.

We would sometimes go to our cousins house, which was about an hour drive from us. She had a NES too. Of course Id play it as much as possible when we visited :p (she was several years older than me so we didnt have much in common). I remember spending alot of time playing Goonies 2, Codename Viper and Knight Rider.

Sadly we never owned a SNES, but sometimes a teenage cousin of ours would babysit us, and he would bring his with him. We only got to play a handful of games on it though. The only ones I really remember seeing at the time were street fighter, a star wars game and star fox. Our grandma and grandpa owned one for a while as well, and wed play super mario world and mortal kombat on it.

Eventually as I got older, I inherited a jungle green N64, and spent alot of time on it :p But before then I played whatever I could from different family members, so these were the games I grew up with.

What are some of yours?

Possibly...

When I was pretty little, we had a GameCube and an SNES. The GC games I remember seeing or were Sonic Heroes and a Sims game, but we also had Luigi's Mansion and a Madden NFL game. And probs more. And for the SNES, I saw Super Nostalgic Mario Kart, Donkey Country 2, Secret of Mana, and Zelda Link to the Past. But we also had a bunch more and I can still name some. Our SNES stopped working about a couple years ago, but I can still find our Home Alone cartridge. And we still have our GC which still works.

Last edited:
Got a Gameboy Color from my cousin when I was about 4 years old. I barely remember anything about it, but what I do remember is that I owned the Donkey Kong Land trilogy as well as F1 Race and Super Mario Land 2, which was also one of the very first, perhaps the first time that I met Wario.
Not long after that, I got a GBA from my parents, possibly as a birthday gift. I also played my first home console, the NES at a slightly older age.
I remember having SMB, SMB 2, Digger T. Rock, Bubble Bobble, Bomberman II, Duck Tales, Tetris and more.

I posted all nintendo for my experiences, and most of it was. But we did know a few people who owned genesis' growing up, too. And while I had less exposer to them, I did enjoy them.

A friend of our family had one that wed play when we visited. I remember a few games, wed play mortal kombat 2, street fighter, and a ren and stimpy game.

I was too young to care about the console war at the time, I thought nintendo and genesis were both equally fun :p I didnt get into the console rivalry until the N64/ PS1 era, where I was bitterly anti playstation, haha.

My first time playing a video game was when I stayed with a neighbor and their son had an N64 and they let me play Mario Kart 64 with them. On a different occasion they let me play SML2 on their GBC.

The first video game console I owned was actually a weird pirate yellow N64 controller shaped NES thing.

I found the cartridge that came with that the other day actually.
pmRHdRf.jpg

Hard to pin down the exact game though I'm pretty sure it was Pac-Man. My dad worked at a barbershop and it had a few arcade cabinets for the impatient kids. There was also Super Street Fighter 2 The New Challengers there and that game kicked my 3/4 year old ass.

I'm sure other games of mine I played before this one, but I distinctly remember I had the second game before the first, for whatever reason.
Tak 2's fun as fuck, yo

art (by Todd Harris) is great too

Attachments

• 11.0.jpg
    11.0.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 318
  • colorgator6.jpg
    colorgator6.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 341
  • dream fortress.jpg
    dream fortress.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 317
  • gloomleaf swamp.jpg
    gloomleaf swamp.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 307
  • JB's House.JPG
    JB's House.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 376
  • last bmound6.jpg
    last bmound6.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 530
  • planet chamber9.jpg
    planet chamber9.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 331
  • ryan-wood-rw-011.jpg
    ryan-wood-rw-011.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 370
  • stalker.jpg
    stalker.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 390
  • woodie warrior.JPG
    woodie warrior.JPG
    474.5 KB · Views: 354

I'm sure other games of mine I played before this one, but I distinctly remember I had the second game before the first, for whatever reason.
Tak 2's fun as fuck, yo

art (by Todd Harris) is great too

I almost forgot about the music. They're all seriously good tunes, not a single weak track in the lot, any tracks to be deemed lame it always comes down to personal preference. Like the game itself, doesn't outstay its welcome, short and sweet. I would've just included the .zip but it's too large.
Dream's Return is great if you want something really cool and trippy, same with the other dream tracks. I love that they were able to blend the tribal theme with the surreal quality of dreams to deliver these tracks and I seriously wish I knew who the fucking composer was so I could shake their goddamn hand. Unfortunately, it doesn't list this person under the music credit specifically, but I assume they're included elsewhere in the Windows Movie Maker credits sequence.

Attachments

• 01. Tak's Dream.mp3
    6.9 MB · Views: 314
  • 02. Wetstone Lake.mp3
    8.7 MB · Views: 309
  • 04. Dream's Return.mp3
    6.4 MB · Views: 296
  • 06. Gloomleaf Swamp.mp3
    7.8 MB · Views: 308
  • 07. Pandemonium Gates.mp3
    4.9 MB · Views: 309
  • 08. Skyrock Crater.mp3