Zelda: BotW New Mode Idea (Gameplay Spoilers)

ShyGuyXXL

Shyster Guyster
Diamond City Insider
This thread contains spoilers for a really entertaining area/challenge in Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Don't keep reading if you haven't reached a certain island yet (you know which one I mean if you've been there) or else you'll have a great experience spoiled for you.

Ok, here goes:

One of my favourite experiences in Zelda: Breast of the Wild was the Survival Island shrine challenge. You see an island in the distance, you take a raft and cross the ocean, you get there, and suddenly, out of nowhere, the game takes all of your weapons, armor and items away from you, leaving you naked and helpless on the beach.
That was so unexpected.
Over the course of the game you accumulate so much stuff, so many powerful weapons, so much different armor, so many food items, to have it all stripped away from you without warning is truly disheartening.

Not only that, but you are then tasked to explore the island and find 3 orbs and place them in 3 holes.
...which wouldn't be so bad... but one of them is attached to the neck of a Hinox... and you have nothing to beat him with.
So you feel incredibly overwhelmed. How are you supposed to take on a boss if all you have are some sticks and stones lying around?
But that feeling doesn't last. Very quickly you build up a new arsenal. Using crappy weapons and shields at first but getting more and better stuff as you go on.
I was having a great time!
Since I had no food I found myself doing things I usually dismiss, like catching fish or cooking with ingredients I never really use. And I thought up all kinds of strategies for defeating the Hinox and... it was all just so much fun! :sgrin:
You can use your enviroment to your advantage in so many different ways that I would love to play the whole challenge again, if I could!

Which lead me to think...

What if there were more challenges like that in the game?

That's exactly the kind of thing I'd love to see as DLC. Just an entire mode dedicated to surviving on an island where you always start from scratch. But not just one! Every "stage" would be a different island, with different resources, enemies and a different enviroment.
The game's engine is so versatile, it allows for so many possibilities without having to create that much new content.
Think about it!
Since you start with nothing except your runes and the glider, you don't need to have played through anything except the plateau. They could simply start you with a set number of hearts and that's it.
There are so many possibilities!
They could even change the objectives, like "Kill all the enemies!" or "Survive for 3 days!" (while the level keeps throwing stuff at you that you can't just run away from.) or... I dunno, "Find a total of 1000 rupees." or something.
They could make the level bigger for more options, or they could make it smaller, so you have even less to work with, making it harder.

It wouldn't necessarily have to fit into the existing game world either. They could simply teleport you to an island that is completely surrounded by ocean to imply it's somewhere far away from Hyrule.

Wouldn't that be awesome?
Imagine it like a challenge mode that you access from the main menu, much like the challenges in Pikmin 2 and 3.

THAT'S something I'd pay money for.

What about you? Did you enjoy the survival island challenge? Would you pay money for a mode like this? Any suggestions?

Yeah, it'd be a pretty neat idea. I can imagine a situation like this where Lynels or Guardians were involved. Now that would be tricky!

I also want to see another Cave of Ordeals for this game. I mean, damn the possibilities for that are awesome.

The island was fun as a one-off, but I'd rather Zelda not become one of those survival games like Rust or whatever, the market is oversaturated with those kinds of games as it is.

The island was fun as a one-off, but I'd rather Zelda not become one of those survival games like Rust or whatever, the market is oversaturated with those kinds of games as it is.
Well, first of all, it wouldn't "become" a different game. It would just be a seperate mode. The main game is still there.
Second, it's not even really a survival game. I just sorta called it that. It's more of a challenge.
It's not like those sandbox survival games with giant randomly generated worlds and no real objectives.

Just because you lose when you die doesn't make it a survival game. By that logic Super Mario Bros. is a survival game. :STongue3:

Back