Advice you'd give your younger self?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Personally, I'd give myself the following pieces of advice, both in regards to university:

1. Be more outgoing and join more clubs and social activities, since the value of college/university is in getting to know people rather than really mastering your field. If you don't want to get into academia full time, making friends to get connections at companies/help for startups and other projects is significantly more important than getting a 1st or honours degree (or 4.0 GPA for you Americans) is.

2. Spend that time in university on whatever business ideas and side projects you think have a chance of becoming successful. As much as I hate to say it, university students are probably the best placed right now to become successful on sites like YouTube and Twitch, since they get so much free time between classes/during holidays that it's ideal for learning how to do things like edit videos or market yourself. Plus there's the whole connections side mentioned above; it's almost inevitable at least three or four others in your school will be trying to do the same thing, so you've got a circle of others to help out/star in videos/whatever.

I also regret not getting into making videos and stuff earlier in general, especially given how writing seems to be a real tough ask as far as making money goes. A YouTuber seems to have a lot more luck getting people to donate to their Patreon than a video game journalist or blogger does.

Still, what advice would you give your younger self and why?

download (17).png

Pretty much a grim reminder to NOT touch many of the fandoms I joined and drove me to become one of those Toxic kids people always see on comment sections. Would've saved me a lot of times nowadays where I just disconnect and my mind decides to make a full on power point about the shit I've said online that I deeply regret.
And maybe study more maths.

Also this one:

"Don't waste your precious time on things that aren't worth spending time on. They may be interesting to you, but the reason why you're spending time on them is completely ridiculous."

I would warn myself to listen to my parents about every save career, not gone out on my own, and tried more to fit into society.
Most of the people I know now in their 30s who didn't grew up to not have a place in society.
I'm just glad I worked incredibly hard when I could still work.
I would have also told younger self that the fairer sex isn't so fair, to absolutely judge books by their cover (if there are no reviews), and to always put myself first.
I would also instill a fear of cars into younger me. (this would be my saving grace)
I would tell myself not to buy my friends food and stuff with my money.
I would tell myself not to let people into my house like homeless ect to try to give them a second chance.
I would tell myself to not put up with physical abuse.
I would enourage myself to follow my dreams of becoming a content creator at a young age and tell myself it was wrong how my parents tried to destroy any artistic motivation that I had.
In fact screw the advice, I would save younger me from my godawful, abusive life and raise me myself until I eventually faded away.
Also in 2013 when I had 50k I would have told myself to invest it in Bitcoin.
Then and only then would I know my advice had worked.

Last edited:
Don't try robux generators, they're a scam and a ripoff

Edit: the contrast between this post and the one before is hilarious, going from having a traumatic background (not saying that itself is funny, just the contrast), to "hey, no trust bobux"

Last edited:
Apart from the advice I gave myself in the first post (which I still hold to):

1. Make more friends when younger, since it's easiest in school/sixth form/college/university. You're stuck with lots of people the same age and in the same life situation and have more free time than ever to hang out and do fun things. It's harder to find friends again when in your 20s and 30s, as I'm finding out now.

2. Stay off most forms of social media. Stuff like Facebook, Twitter, Reddit and Instagram make you miserable in the long run, and become like an addictive drug that takes over your life. I only realised how bad they were when the Reddit incident happened earlier this year and I asked"why do I care about this place again?"

3. Don't forget to monetise your work. I left my most popular YouTube video unmonetised til I had like 2 million views on it, which was perhaps not a smart decision.

4. Buy bitcoin, since hey, everyone else said it (and because I missed the boat on an easy way to retire before 40)

5. Exercise and eat more healthily... I got way too used to being able to do whatever and not gain weight, which has backfired in the last year or three.

6. Go to a different dentist. I would say "take care of your teeth", but the issue turned out to be that my dentist was utterly lazy/incompetent and did only the most cursory of checks about how my dental health was going. So not only were clear issues missed out, but useful techniques I should have been taught (flossing, mouth wash, best ways to brush teeth in general) went completely unmentioned.

more than robux scams, I'd also say "homebrew your dsi, you'll basically never need to get a new ds game again, as you can just download and play, also, flash player shuts down at the beginning of 2021, so enjoy it while it's here." this next one may require some context, but here we go.
"oh, and when you get some chives, just get the chives and go."
So we have a garden by our driveway, right? and my mom wanted me to get chives for soup, I went, my dad got home, I thought it'd be goofy to try to hide, so I ran to hide, stepped on a rusty rake (the sharp farming kind, not the leaf kind), and impaled my foot, and then went to the hospital and got a tetanus shot

Man who never made a mistake, never made anything.

and

The only person you should compare yourself to is you from yesterday.

Back