Any visual/graphical effects you hate?

ShyGuyXXL

Shyster Guyster
Diamond City Insider
Are there any types of visual effects that you hate seeing in videogames?

I hate when games have that type of shading where instead of people and objects casting natural shadows, they just have some sort of dark shadowy aura around them.
You can really notice it in The last Guardian then your character is next to a wall. It just looks so weird.
I think L.A. Noire also had that. Not sure.

At least it's not as annoying as bloom lighting, that's another thing I hate.
What thing in real life is bloom lighting supposed to simulate? Smudgy glasses?
Mist? If that's the case, why is it used in videogames that have sunny weather most of the time?

Like Wind Waker.
ghyhC8h.jpg

This is the impression I get from WW HD.

When it's used for actual fog, mist, or mystical or ghostly aura stuff, that's fine. But when it's a bright and sunny day and there's bloom shit everywhere it just feels like I have something in my eye or my glasses need cleaning.
It's a shame because the original Wind Waker was so pleasant to look at. Now it's just Bloomy Brightness Central.
The game could use that guy from Mario Sunshine who gives you sunglasses.

So what about you? And effects you hate?

I hate blood/water on the screen while playing a game. You know, like as if its supposed to be....in your eyes, I guess?

Skyrim did this, along with many other games. I hate it : p It just makes it harder to see the screen, and in no way makes the game feel more "realistic", haha.

like as if its supposed to be....in your eyes, I guess?
If it was in your eyes the entire screen would have to be red. :p
I remember the remake of Conker's Bad Fur Day doing that. And of course, they had to make the blood look realistic even though everything else is cartoony.
That entire remake tried to make everything look more realistic which looks bloody awful. Conker's face "fur" looks like a beard. :V

I hate blood/water on the screen while playing a game. You know, like as if its supposed to be....in your eyes, I guess?

Skyrim did this, along with many other games. I hate it : p It just makes it harder to see the screen, and in no way makes the game feel more "realistic", haha.
I agree, if anything it takes you out of the experience, makes it feel like you're filming the whole thing, makes no sense whatsoever.

I'll say, I don't like overly realistic looking characters that are meant to be part of a cartoon. It just looks wrong, the artstyle doesn't match the characters.
And I don't like realistic artstyles, they throw me off a bit for some unknown reason. Maybe because I prefer the cartoony and fantasy look, but the more life-like, the less of a game it feels to me.

I hate it when games do the like.... blurry vision when youre about to die thing. Like, when youre taking damage from a baddie, and the screen becomes harder and harder to see while its happening. While sure that might be "realistic" it just makes the game more frustrating to struggle through : p

Not a whole lot of games do this, but I know Ive played games that did and I didnt like it : p

Oh and everyone hates this, but... quick time events. Where the action stops and youre forced to hit a button at the right time while you watch your character do things in a cut scene. It really ruins the pacing of the game : p
(I think that counts as a visual effect)

I hate it when games do the like.... blurry vision when youre about to die thing. Like, when youre taking damage from a baddie, and the screen becomes harder and harder to see while its happening. While sure that might be "realistic" it just makes the game more frustrating to struggle through : p

Not a whole lot of games do this, but I know Ive played games that did and I didnt like it : p

Oh and everyone hates this, but... quick time events. Where the action stops and youre forced to hit a button at the right time while you watch your character do things in a cut scene. It really ruins the pacing of the game : p
(I think that counts as a visual effect)

I actually like quick time events, like an interactive cutscene. Just please don't overdo it...
And yes, it's not visual or graphical or whatnot, it's gameplay.

uhh, and the blur... Some game just overdo it. It's not good, doesn't look good, and although it can make sense, there are other details that could be made more realistic, besides the blurriness...

remember the late 90's / early 00's when lighting effects weren't to advance to to make the models look "realistic". The models (especially in FMVs) look kinda... MOIST, for lack of better term.

Do audio effects count? Because I find it annoying how in many 8-bit video games the sound effects are one the same channel as the leading melody of the music. This creates gaps in the music whenever there is a sound effect.
Yeah I know that it was difficult back then to make it so that this wasn't the case, but as games like Kirby's Adventure (which has barely any of this) prove it was not impossible. This is my main reason why I think the Gameboy Color is a bit overrated (but still good) sometimes. 16-bit soundchips were already avaiable back in 1998.

I don't like the fullscreen flashings lights, it kind of hurt my eyes if it's unexpected, a example of that is "Zelda: A Link to the Past" title screen. (on the SNES version, other versions like GBA removed it.)

I really hate when games make their art style and colors all desaturated because it's trying to be realistic "and real is brown and gray!"

...I think people know why I disliked SSBB's graphics for the most part.

Well, I'm not the best fan of certain HDMA effects in video games. You know, the SNES era ones that the screen turn darker towards the bottom or go wavy when you went underwater. They sometimes feel like overkill, as if the designer wanted to cover up with the actual graphics and goings on with the 2D equivalent of lens flare.

I hate the lack of certain effects. Like a screen transition. Normally I'd expect it to fade to the next scene/loading screen, or if your as talented as Nintendo/Rare do something cool and creative (like the screen zipping up when you start the game in DK64 or jigsaw peices assembling the screen in Banjo-Kazooie) Even Super Mario 64 faded to white everytime you entered a painting.

But I hate it when it just blips to the next scene like a poorly edited video. You died then *screen flashes to loading screen* grah I hate that! Or you enter a new level and *blip you're there*.

It lacks pollish and care that a AAA title should have.

Well yeah some games its fine.

But I remember Epic Mickey pulled that shit and it disappointed me. A lot of Epic Mickey disappointed me.

Back