Anyone else feel disappointed by Wario Master of Disguise?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
I haven't really tried the game myself (yet), but from what I can see... it's a game that seems to have a ton of good ideas mixed into a format that wasn't really thought out properly.

I mean, look at this gameplay video from the Wii U VC version:

The humour and writing is... very much like a Wario game. The characters and scenario are interesting. The music's excellent, and some of the gameplay ideas... are decent at least.

Problem is... it was pretty buried under a ton of 'oh look its a DS game' type gimmickry. The silly mini games to open chests, the silly drawing and touch controls for the forms, that sort of thing. And the later bosses seem to be designed to be 'clever uses of the touch screen' rather than actual fights, like the final one.

You know what?

The game should have been a GBA game. That way, they couldn't POSSIBLY have abused touch screen controls and gimmicks in the way they have, and the game would have probably played out more like a half respectable classic Wario Land clone rather than a sort of weird DS tech demo.

Anyone agree?

I didn't think it was "bad" per say, it's an overrall nice puzzle game. If you were looking for a Wario Land type game though... It's rather dissapointing. I have to admit though the best thing had to be the Dialouge, it was just flawless. XP

If you think of it as less of a Wario platformer game and more of a full on Puzzle game with Wario, then it shouldn't be too bad. But it's definently no Wario Land, that's for sure. I'd only really reccomend it to those who are REALLY into Puzzle-Adventure Games like Mr. Driller per say.

This game was really hard to pin down. At one moment it was insulting my intelligence by having me play connect-the-dots and coloring pages in order to open chests, and the next moment it was cracking jokes about accountants, coulrophobics, and wage-labor-laws. It seemed like it had no idea what age demographic it was targeting itself at, lol.

That said, the music, environments, and writing are all excellent. I remember one scenario where you have to pull off a heist in some museum of ancient Egyptian artifacts or something, I Thought that was really cool. The one damning thing about the game is that Nintendo just had to shoehorn touch controls into it, and it brought the whole game down significantly. I also think the sprite art for Wario is pretty weird looking, but whatever.

This game was really hard to pin down. At one moment it was insulting my intelligence by having me play connect-the-dots and coloring pages in order to open chests, and the next moment it was cracking jokes about accountants, coulrophobics, and wage-labor-laws. It seemed like it had no idea what age demographic it was targeting itself at, lol.

That said, the music, environments, and writing are all excellent. I remember one scenario where you have to pull off a heist in some museum of ancient Egyptian artifacts or something, I Thought that was really cool. The one damning thing about the game is that Nintendo just had to shoehorn touch controls into it, and it brought the whole game down significantly. I also think the sprite art for Wario is pretty weird looking, but whatever.

Yeah, the touch screen controls were a bad, bad idea.

Not quite as bad as the gyro controls in Mario & Luigi Dream Team, but still pretty bad, especially given how they were chucked in with no real reason (is there anything that couldn't have been done better with normal button controls?)

And I get what you mean by the age demographic stuff. The mini games and their humour (it's the only place with possible toilet humour) seemed targetted for six year olds, the rest for older gamers. Still, I'll give it one good thing. The people who presumably translated this moved onto translating Wario Land Shake It and carried the same humour over into that game's treasure descriptions.

Back