Ashley's "Reign of Terror" - A Retrospect

I'm still talking about the attention given by Nintendo. To allow Tingle to have his own game regardless of how well it actually did is pretty big.

Tingle from Zelda? Really?

He got a few spinoff games at about the same time as the main series had a bunch of full length games he wasn't in. Tingle's first game was out around the same time as Twilight Princess, later games were overshadowed by titles like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Not exactly getting more attention than Link or Zelda.

He's a bit of an oddity for Japanese fans anyway is where his popularity really shines.

I'm still talking about the attention given by Nintendo. To allow Tingle to have his own game regardless of how well it actually did is pretty big.
Yeah, it was a whole different beast when Tingle got his own spin-off games. What Ashley got during this "era" was all just relatively minor. And wasn't it with Nikki most of the time, despite Swapnote being dead at that point?

Tingle from Zelda? Really?

He got a few spinoff games at about the same time as the main series had a bunch of full length games he wasn't in. Tingle's first game was out around the same time as Twilight Princess, later games were overshadowed by titles like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Not exactly getting more attention than Link or Zelda.
In Japan? I dunno, I mean it's obvious that his popularity increased to the point of having his own game and his own badges in the arcade. All and all, I'm just making a point.

It was really just a bizarre thing really. What do we even call this? The whole thing just plays out like Nintendo let Ko Takeuchi's personal fondness for Ashley go unfiltered and thus he could just do whatever he wanted. It started off relatively lowkey but then kept snowballing into more Ashley stuff every month. We kept speculating what all of this Ashley stuff meant for months. In the end this ended abruptly with the end of the Badge Arcade updates and nothing really came out of all this. We haven't seen anything that focused just on Ashley in a long time. In the long run this really meant nothing for Ashley or the Wario franchise which makes the whole thing even weirder. Like, what was the whole point of this? Was there even a point at all?
Needless to say, I feel the same way about it all myself. I have no idea what any of it meant either, nor did I see any meaning behind it.

What do we even call this?

It meant nothing.

It let to nothing.

There's not much else that can be said about it, frankly I think this is a subject that we all should move on from now.

Well this is starting to go nowhere fast...
Sorry, I don't follow you. This is related to the conversation, as in Ashley being a character who got popular and got her own attention, and I just gave an example of other similar instances.

Is it because we're focusing on Tingle a bit too much?

Sorry, I don't follow you. This is related to the conversation, as in Ashley being a character who got popular and got her own attention, and I just gave an example of other similar instances.

Is it because we're focusing on Tingle a bit too much?
It's starting to devolve too much into trying to figure out what it means to be "popular".

I'm still curious what that Nintendo Dream article about Ashley said

zv0W38B.png

Aw, that's a bit disappointing. Still, not too unexpected. Japanese sites and publications put out fluff content just as much as their Western counterparts do.

Looking back at it, nothing happened really... Just a couple of badges here and there with a theme as well, but that was just about it. Sure I would've loved to see anyone else on the spotlight instead of just Ashley, but I'm really hoping for someone that isn't from the Ware series. Give us Syrup, heck let's go for obscure characters from other Wario games. I don't mind much on who is on the spotlight for the month, but I would like to see Nintendo bring someone from the other games.

*Looks at Super Smash Bros Ultimate*

May we'll see a huge focus on Princess Shokora or Count Cannoli somewhere down the line.

Back