Connections between Booster, Spike and Wario?

Boris Carloft's Car Loft

strange chameleon man 3000
Anyone remember that guy from Super Mario RPG?

Smrpg_booster.gif

Even if you don't know of him, you should have already noticed many similarities between his design and Wario's. Furthermore, there are some portraits of his ancestors in his tower that resemble Wario and Foreman Spike:

SMRPG_BoosterElders.PNG

The fourth and fifth portraits look a lot like Spike from Wrecking Crew while the 2nd one with the yellow hat looks very similar to Wario (although the beard probably means it isn't actually Wario). What does this mean, exactly? Are Wario and Spike related to the Booster family? It's definitely a puzzler.

Honestly, I think that whoever designed Booster and the portraits just took lots of inspiration from Wario and possibly Spike. Still, it's an interesting topic, so I thought I'd share it.

Discuss!

I feel like they're rather similar design-wise, but don't really have any connection beyond that (and Wario's f-tilt being borrowed from him in Brawl, I guess). He's just a very eccentric guy with a lot of inheritance and personal servants. Spike is probably more closely related to Wario, considering that his concept (bad counterpart for Mario) is rather similar as well as the design, and considering all the connections Waluigi seems to have with Wrecking Crew for some unexplained reason. It would be fairly reasonable to assume that Spike had at least some bearing on Wario's character and design.

Yeah, I agree that Wario's design was greatly influenced by Spike. I would've mentioned that in the OP, but I wanted to focus more on Booster and how he is connected to Wario and Spike since there is already a thread for Spike.

I don't think Booster has any connections to Spike, as far as I can see. As for Wario, there's only some similarities, like the physical appearance (red nose, crazy eyes, stocky build with short legs), and a predisposition for explosive-based attacks. He may have been loosely based on Wario, I suppose.

Back