Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • WhatCast?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Monxiasyshrema77

I didn't choose the sludge life
The DreamCast..... a home video game console released by Sega on September 9, 1999 in North America, It was the first in the sixth generation of video game consoles, The Dreamcast was Sega's final home console, marking the end of the company's 18 years in the console market. Do you own one? what you think of Sega's last game console? Do you know why it failed? Do you know anything?

Ahhh the Sega Dreamcast, Sega's last major hurah before becoming purely a software company, and was basically the Wii U before the Wii U became a thing. (In terms of sales and stuff.)
The Dreamcast originally launched in Japan on November 27th 1998 and in North America on September 9th 1999 and has gained a massive cult following over the years due to it's great quality games, revolutionary features, (It had online before the Xbox made it a core feature.) Piracy. (There's still unlicenesed Dreamcast games being made today by indie devs.)
And just the fact that it was Sega's last console before becoming a third party company starting in 2001, now I never owned a Dreamcast, so I have no experince with it. (I definitely want one though.) but I did play two of it's most significant titles,
Sonic Adventure & Sonic Adventure 2, (Great games BTW.) and as for why it failed, there's a few reasons as to why it failed. but here's the two notable reasons.
  • Heavy competition - The Dreamcast had a sucessful launch, but extremely heavy competition from the Playstation 2, the Gamecube & now the Xbox ultimately became too much for Sega.
  • Sega's reputation - Sega at the time was starting to get a very rocky reputation thanks to it's controverisal decisions and failures in the past, and it has definitely affected the Dreamcast in some way or form.
Now there's obivously other reasons as to why it failed. (Lack of third party support and the controller are two other notable reasons.) but those are generally the biggest reasons. now of course, we can talk about what if the Dreamcast suceeded? and where Sega would have been if it did end up suceeding? (Though we might have a idea on what could have been.) but obivously that didn't happen, and so we could only wonder.

What could have been....What could have been?

Last edited:
Do know know what this is ?
mouse.gif

Yes it's the mouse from Chuu Chuu Rocket.

Also never owned a Sega system however I am interested considering how many interesting games were in it like Skies of Arcadia which apparently is better on this system not sure about that claim though.
you used tow u's its just one u

Wow, I know Im not the only member here who owns a Dreamcast : p

I do own one, and I love it : p Its a great console, but I dont have many games for it. Not yet anyway : p Im getting some here in a few weeks, though. Some of them will be-

-Skies of Arcadia
-Grandia 2
-Time Stalkers
-Phantasy Star Online
-Shadowman
-Sonic Adventure

Im not as big on the controller as I originally thought I would be, though. I dont like the material its made out of. That weird, untextured hard plastic isnt good for video games, if your hands ever sweat ever the controller becomes slippery, and its all around not all that comfortable in general. The shape is fine, though. Its mostly comfortable shape wis,e my only complaint is that the four buttons, A B X and Y, are too low down on the controller. So I had to get used to placing my right hand slightly lower than my left on the controller. Its not that big a deal, though : p My biggest complaint is definitely the material of the controller.

I love the console design. I love both compact consoles, as they are easy to place in your room, and generally look better : p I usually dont like white as a color for a console, like I always hated the way the Wii looks. But I think it fits for the Dreamcast. And I like it when consoles have shapes and curves. It definitely looks cooler than modern consoles. Like looking at my Wii and Dreamcast, the DC definitely looks like the more interesting console, haha.
I miss that about older consoles, back when they looked cool. Thank you Sony for ruining that for us : p

@Metal I dunno if I can say SoA is better on DC btw, I know the random enemy encounter is much higher, which I wouldnt call a good thing : p I also know that some of the additional things in the GC version are missing. I cant remember which ones exaclty, but I think one of them are the discoveries, which I really really liked in the GC version.

I definitely still want it though : p

I got one recently, though I have no idea if it works cuz it didn't come with controllers or cords or anything. But it was only 8$ so I bought it anyway. I've played the Sonic Adventure games and Skies of Arcadia on GCN, but other than those I dunno what games I would even enjoy for it. The library looks mostly like racing games and junk.

I got one recently, though I have no idea if it works cuz it didn't come with controllers or cords or anything. But it was only 8$ so I bought it anyway. I've played the Sonic Adventure games and Skies of Arcadia on GCN, but other than those I dunno what games I would even enjoy for it. The library looks mostly like racing games and junk.

How many Wii games do you have that you really like? You once told me that your library for the Wii is pretty small : p But I know there are a few games for the console you really like.
Also, you like shoot em up game, the Dreamcast has a bunch of them : p

I want to get Jet Grind Radio on the Dreamcast, if it's possible to buy cheap I'd get that and Skies of Arcadia. Play as Gum all day everyday.

71LEOKRqYkL._SX425_.jpg

I thought it was Jet Set Radio
256px-Jetsetradiopalboxart.jpg
While it is called Jet Set Radio everywhere else, for some reason, they changed it to Jet Grind Radio when it was released in North America
71LEOKRqYkL._SX425_.jpg

Why did they changed the name? I have no idea really, Especially since they went right back to the original name afterwards, and has never used the north american name again. (Not even the HD port had the name.) my guess is that they most likely wanted to put bigger emphasis on the grinding aspect.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same reason why the Dreamcast swirl logo is blue in Europe : p Dont wanna get into lega trouble with someone whos already using it.

Id like to have a DC controller with the blue swirl for my DC, would a European controller work on my American Dreamcast?

Despite being an american, I've always prefered the blue swirl that europe got over the orange one we got here.
It just gives me more of a Sega vibe then the orange one in my opinion, I don't really know why that is or how to explain it.
Id like to have a DC controller with the blue swirl for my DC, would a European controller work on my American Dreamcast?
I never owned a Dreamcast, but aside from the color of the swirl, they seem to look pretty much the same. so I doubt you'll have any problems with it at all.

I think I kinda prefer the red/orange swirl. I mean, I get the whole blue being more like Sega thing. But I always kinda liked how Sega tried to get away from the Sega brand with the Dreamcast, and make it its own thing. I mean not that I hate Sega of course. But it makes me think of the Wii, I like how the Wii was kind of its own brand. I liked that with the Dreamcast, too. Its hard to explain : p But I like how the Dreamcast feels like its own entity I think.

Even now like 17 years in the future, I still feel like that swirl is like the future of gaming : p I always really liked the logo and name for the Dreamcast.

Back