Fixing Wario In Smash Bros

Scyhh

Give me your credit card information.
Before I fix his moveset first i'll explain why Wario acts like this

And not like this

The reason is how Wario is depicted in Japan and how Wario is depicted in the rest of the world.
Anyways trying to fix wario in smash bros.

i'll start with costumes

(btw the reason the overalls skins are pixel art because i couldn't find any pictures of overwahs in the warioware gold artsyle)

Wario's overalls and biker outfit should be swapped

anyways here are costumes and their respective references

9371 Based Off of his classic design
9372 Based off of warioware design
9373 Based off of Mario's arcade cabinet art for Mario Bros. (Also Known as Cotton Candy Wario)
9374 Based off of attire that real life bikers wear
9376 Based Off of Wario's Appearance in Virtual Boy Wario Land
9377 Based off of Wario's Overalls colors

9378 Based Off of wario's appearance in Wario Land 3 (Complete with orange skin)
9379 Based Off of Zombie Wario From Wario Land II, 3 & 4

Smash Attacks:

Foward Smash: Wario pulls out his dragon pot helmet and shoots a fireball, similar to Mega Man’s foward smash.

Up Smash: Same as the one in 4 and ultimate just add the viking bull helmet

Down Smash: Wario crouches down with the jet bunny helmet. Then jet fuel comes out of the exaust pipe burning anyone in the way.

The only aerial change I would like is for back air to spike.

Throws:

Forward Throw should be where Wario throws the opponent up into the air and throws a big punch
Up Throw should be the pile driver from Wario World
Down throw should have a more powerful animation

Special Moves:

Neutral Special: Wario places down a bomb where after a few seconds will explode into a cross shape (Like Bomberman)
If an opponent walks into the bomb a regular and more powerfull explosion will happen

Cross Explosion: 15.1%
On Contact Explosion: 22.8%

Side Special: Faster But Kills Slightly Later

Up Special: A Tiny Inch More Vertical Height

Down Special: I like how the waft functions, a big powerful attack but takes time to charge. Pretty simple actually, just change the animation. Make it look like his earthshake punch from shake it. Instead of fart shit make it an explosion. Though this will come at the cost of not being able to eat to make it charge quicker. Make it take 1:30 instead of 1:50

Last edited:
You could also fix Wario by making some of his attacks based off of his forms in Wario Land.

That bloody article is STILL around? "Why Does Wario Fart?" contains a lot of false information and fabricated assumptions from the writer.
It does contain some truth, but it's a lazy, poorly researched essay that brainwashes fans who don't know any better. I was cringing when I first read it.

The biggest piece of evidence that shuts it down comes from the official staff interview for Shake Dimension/Shake It! back in 2008.
The man responsible for that game's existence, Takahiro Harada, was a veteran R&D1 developer and puzzle master who worked on Wario's original game, Super Mario Land 2. He explains the differences with Wario depending on the game/series which demonstrates the character's many different interpretations from different/outside creators.
He also said "more than anything" he wanted to emphasise a masculine Wario, as portrayed in the old Wario Land games, and not the weird little farting wanker who bites people in Smash Bros. (Too many people also blame WarioWare for Smash Bros, which isn't a fair comparison).

"Why Does Wario Fart?" was also wrong about Wario not being wacky in the western media. The US Wario Land 3 commercial couldn't be more wacky (see below). The Japanese media may depict him as being more grotesque, but as Harada stated, the difference lies between the games themselves, and that's what counts at the end of the day. What you see in the games should be what you get in Smash Bros.

Last edited:
That bloody article is STILL around? "Why Does Wario Fart?" contains a lot of false information and fabricated assumptions from the writer.
It does contain some truth, but it's a lazy, poorly researched essay that brainwashes fans who don't know any better. I was cringing when I first read it.

The biggest piece of evidence that shuts it down comes from the official staff interview for Shake Dimension/Shake It! back in 2008.
The man responsible for that game's existence, Takahiro Harada, was a veteran R&D1 developer and puzzle master who worked on Wario's original game, Super Mario Land 2. He explains the differences with Wario depending on the game/series, and demonstrated the character's many different angles depending on creators.
He also said "more than anything" he wanted to emphasise a masculine Wario, as portrayed in the old Wario Land games, and not the weird little farting wanker who bites people in Smash Bros. (Too many people also blame WarioWare for Smash Bros, which isn't a fair comparison).

"Why Does Wario Fart?" was also wrong about Wario not being wacky in the western media. The US Wario Land 3 commercial couldn't be more wacky (see below). The Japanese media may depict him as being more grotesque, but as Harada stated, the difference lies between the games themselves, and that's what counts at the end of the day. What you see in the games should be what you get in Smash Bros.

There is also how the article tries to claim that Wario having a crass sense of humor was a foreign concept to western players prior to Smash, when a bit of basic research will quickly tell you otherwise, like how he enjoys talking about his insides in the Wario World manual or Master of Disguise in general.

The thing is: those games didn't make that the main attraction of his character, nor did they have him fart on people (or fart at all for that matter). MoD in particular has him talk quite similarly to how he talks on the japanese websites, but in the end it just remained a facet of how Wario does and says what he wants, without a care of what others think about it and not an excuse to turn him into a constantly farting monstrosity.

The article in general is more interested in defending Smash Wario at all costs, completely ignoring that Sakurai's versions of these characters tend to be off at times in several cases. It's why we have this embarassing wannabe edgy Mario and a Bowser who decided to rid himself of all that pesky personality and charm, in favor of regressing back into just a roaring monster. Just try to tell me that's how they are in Japan.

The only major problem is down-B and Smash's obsession with it. There was no reason calling it "Iconic" in Wario's trophy description in Smash For.

Anyway, I made my own set of alts. All in pixels, because I'm super lazy person.

Biker suit:
1)-
2)Jimmy T (His 2nd Biker alt in Brawl was so simmular to Jimmy T, I always imagined it being a reference to him. But it was cut in latter games. Oh well- here is a reimagination of it.)
3)resembles Classic outfit (3rd Biker alt in Smash For and Ultimate, but matches closer in terms of colors.)
4)I originally wanted it to be either Mona or Orbulon, but those went terrible. So here's Final Boss of WWG instead.
Classic:
1)-
2)Zombie Wario (4th Biker alt in Brawl, which was cut in latter games.)
3)resembles Biker outfit (Reimagined Blue/Pink alt, which I'm not a fan of.)
4)Everyones favourite GB appearence (6th Classic alt in Brawl, which was cut in latter games.)

And here is equality: 2 Standart outfits, 2 alts that reference WarioWare, 2 alts that refernce Wario Land and 2 alts that reference other series. Recolored Noses are not necessary. I may also swap Zombie and Deluxe alts later.
I actually like making alts for characters and putting references to them. (Maybe I should make thread specifically dedicated to it?)

Last edited:
Honestly, as of Ultimate (and Wario getting the Charge back) I enjoy Smash Wario enough in terms of how he plays that the only major change in terms of moveset I absolutely still really want is with the Waft.

It doesn't even need to change in how it functions, but I'd like it if, instead of farting, Wario were to pull out the WarioWare Bomb, which is either a dud when not charged or sends him upwards via explosion, when charged, keeping the same function, but replacing the juvenile fart with a major Wario element that is completely absent from his moveset: bombs.

Aside from that I want his alt colors to be overhauled. All the good Biker colors and the Game Boy colors were removed as of For and the Overalls colors especially suck, since they are all Mario based and in two cases copied from him.

Here's a full 8 color set, for Overalls Wario, as an example of what I'd like him to have as overalls alt colors (not saying Biker Wario should go away at all, this is just a showcase of potential overalls alts) :

1) The default colors.

2) The always popular Game Boy colors.

3) Based on NES Wario’s Woods.

4) Based on Foreman Spike’s very Wario-esque Wrecking Crew 98 design.

5) Not a great showcase on my end, but the point is a Virtual Boy color scheme.

6) Based on Sam Spook from SNES Wario’s Woods, Luigi actually already has this color scheme, but it fits better with Wario.

7) Based on the planned and scrapped cover for the cancelled western release of Mario & Wario, he also has a very similar alt color scheme in Mario Golf 64.

8) Based on Waluigi.

Last edited:
Back