Good Video Game Adaptations

TB100

What you see is what you get, just a guy...
Now as we all know by now, Video Games don't exactly lend well to adaptations like other works do, mostly due to people having different standards from a Game then a Movie or a Book, but every now and then, there's that one adaptation that's actually good. One that is filled with passion and can stand on it's own, even without the game. Here's a video game adaptations that I think is actually good.

Now when it comes to adaptations, Sonic has always been the lucky one. okay they wern't all great mind you, but compared to other video game characters, Sonic's has always been one of the luckier characters in terms of adapations. from two very sucessful comic books (With one still running to this very day.) five TV shows. a shit ton of Manga, and finally a Movie. (With another one coming next year.) and that above is that Movie, and it's one of the best adaptations of the hedgehog IMO, why? well for one, the animation, it's so close to the games that it's not even funny, it's animation and style is very reminiscent of Sonic CD's intro, which is one of the best animations that Sega has done for Sonic. (CD & Unleashed are my favorite intros to a Sonic Game.) and the characters are at their most accurate. they look exactly like their video game counterparts did at the time. (Aside from Knuckles wearing a hat that is.) and considering that other Sonic cartoons at the time usually go wild or insane with their designs. (Especially Eggman's.) it's a breath of fresh air to see them translated properly into animation. (At the time.) another point is the music. now Sonic cartoons has never had the best soundtracks. (aside from the OP & the ED themes, but in terms of an actual soundtrack???) but this movie actually has a kickass soundtrack.

Seriously this sounds like music from the actual games. (Especially South Island.) i don't know who the composers are, but they did a damn good job with the overall soundtrack, hell Sega has actually acknowledge it by putting Look-Alike in one of the Sonic compilation Albums. (Which BTW, never happens to the other adapations.) and at one point, they were going to add the movie into the Mega Collection. (It was cut out unfortunely.) so that's a testament to how good of an adapation this movie is, now does it have it's weakpoints? well yeah, the voice acting is not that great for one. (STRANGE ISN'T IT!!!!!) Especially Tails, who along with his voice from Sonic Heroes is honestly one of the worst Tails voices ever. (Why they never got the DIC cast, who was at the time the primary voice cast, i don't know?) and there are some WTF scenes in it. (Sonic flipping the bird anyone.) but despite them, it's my favorite Sonic adaptation and it also has what is almost perhaps my favorite portrayal of Sonic to date. he does have his jerkass moments at times, and he definitely has that attitude, but he is still a laidback good guy who cares about his friends, and will always tries to do what's right. (Unlike Fleetway Sonic who can be quite the asshole.) so yeah, check the movie out, that video i uploaded, is the full movie, (Yes i'm not joking.) so if you're curious go check it out. but anyways, enough of that, what video game adapations do you consider to be good or decent? it can be a comic a movie, a manga, a tv show, anything. (Hell i can already think of a few possible answers off the top of my head.) comment away!!!!

I wouldn't call it "good" on an unironic level but the Ruby Spears Mega Man cartoon is probably the best produced and most faithful a western video game cartoon could be for the time.

My personal favourites are the twin hook-punc that are the JCVD Street Fighter movie and the US Street Fighter cartoon. Both are far more entertaining and memorable than an unironically good adaption could ever be.

Not sure if it's really good or not but one video game adaptation I enjoyed watching was F-Zero Densetsu (or the F-Zero anime). Quite a shame that it was cancelled here in America after only 14 episodes or something however all 51 episodes are available on YT and are fully subbed. At first I didn't know what to think of when a show for a racing game would be able to not only work but be intriguing as well, seeing each character interact with one another was pretty grand. Loved seeing the weird badguys doing odd jobs as well as being hitmen for competitor racers, I'll link to the full playlist if anyone want's to watch it. Not to mention it had the best ending to any video game adaptation show ever, from now on you'll live on as Captain Falcon.

Well, Pokemon Origins and Pokemon Generations have their strong points.

And I think both the Mario comics (especially the German ones) and manga had some interesting ideas.

Many of the games that I played when I was young were adaptions of movies that came out at the time. I don't remember much, but I liked the GBA adaption of Shrek 2 very much.

It was not boring or plain out bad like some movie tie-ins and it actually held close to the storyline of the movie.
Another such game that I remember I enjoyed was the GBA version of Ice Age, mainly because its music.

Back