Is Smash going to help Game & Wario?

warelander

Some random guy online
This is one thing I've been wondering since the stages reveal.
General reactions where almost exclusivly positive and Smash has a history of popularizing previously unknown characters, games and even entire franchises.
Do you think that Game & Wario will have a similar fate?

I hope so. I'm hoping it not only brings attention to Game & Wario, but then to WarioWare and the general Wario franchise as a whole. It definitely needs it after all.

General reactions where almost exclusivly positive and Smash has a history of popularizing previously unknown characters, games and even entire franchises.

Meanwhile, a F-Zero fan is crying in the corner :p.

I'm hoping the Wario content is going to make some EAD intern notice that the Wario characters are things that exist, but then again Kat & Ana being in Brawl didn' do shit so~

Meanwhile, a F-Zero fan is crying in the corner :p.

I'm hoping the Wario content is going to make some EAD intern notice that the Wario characters are things that exist, but then again Kat & Ana being in Brawl didn' do shit so~

Heh, the F-Zero fans should consider what we're going through; at least they had a fanbase at one point...

Or that Captain Falcon is a bigger source of memes than poor old Wario...

No matter what this Smash does, I don't think it's going to work either way.

Nintendo really needs to make some sort of effort to make people notice these characters. Maybe make them Mario Kart 8 DLC another time. Or perhaps they can make an Animaniacs-style animated series involving every character in their own segments over Nintendo Video (or whatever they're using for these now), in-house under SPD. Hopefully, people can watch that to boost the series popularity. (Incidentally, Miyamoto is working hard on something similar for Pikmin)

But did that work for F-Zero with its anime?

Last edited:
But did that work for F-Zero with its anime?

I'm pretty sure the anime is *what* killed F-Zero. F-Zero GX still sold well enough to be a player's choice in two regions (though considering the content and production values, it likely was a financial dissapointment regardless) while the anime did so bad when it was brought over that 4-Kids only dubbed like 8 episodes and both games based on it flopped horribly, with Climax selling a whooping 5k on launch.

... Was that a rethorical question? I'm not good with those :x.

F-Zero needed Smash's popularity to get a bunch of new games.

But Wario never needed Smash to get more games. And WarioWare's popularity peak was before it even got to show up in Brawl.

Notice how Falcon was featured prominently on the boxarts of the post-Melee F-Zero games. But then they flopped. WarioWare has just gotten less popular over time and declining sales, plain and simple.

On another note, does anyone believe that Rhythm Heaven has a chance at a hidden stage in Smash Wii U?

I don't think Wario Ware has gotten less popular, I do however think that people have fergoten abot the series, since Nintendo hasn't done crap to tell people that any of the games past 2007 exist, I can't count the amount of times I have gotten suprised reactions from people, when I told them about Wario Land Shake it, Wario Ware DIY,etc etc because they didn't know tha these games exist and how could they, unless your'e activly looking out for them, theres no way to tell if there are any Wario games coming.
As a result people stop caring, since it's hard to be invested in a series that's presumably dead.
But that's just what I'm thinkin'.

They didn't push the Good-Feel company with Wario Land Shake It at all. They only started doing that with Kirby's Epic Yarn and now Yoshi's Woolly World. They don't want anyone to know that they made Wario Land. When they told us back in E3 2010 about Epic Yarn, we had to figure who Good-Feel was and what they did before that.

It also doesn't help how they didn't announce Game & Wario publicly at E3 2012 either. They just left it right there on the E3 website, buried underneath everything else they talked about earlier.

Notice how Falcon was featured prominently on the boxarts of the post-Melee F-Zero games. But then they flopped. WarioWare has just gotten less popular over time and declining sales, plain and simple.

The difference is that F-Zer's main entries saw constantly declining sales (... which coincided with Nintendo's declining home console shares, but whatev) even as the game's mechanics and quality stayed constant, while WarioWare only started to decline when it traded its traditional mechanics for increasingly ill-advised experiments. Touched and Smooth Moves were the best-selling game in the series.

I'm not sure where you're going with those first two sentences??

Last edited:
The difference is that F-Zer's main entries saw constantly declining sales (... which coincided with Nintendo's declining home console shares, but whatev) even as the game's mechanics and quality stayed constant, while WarioWare only started to decline when it trated its traditional mechanics from increasingly ill-advised experiments. Touched and Smooth Moves were the best-selling game in the series.

I'm not sure where you're going with those first two sentences??

Yeah, pretty much. Nintendo sabotaged the Wario series. That's what hurt its sales. And even then, Wario Land Shake It sold about a million copies, showing that even with no real marketing, people had an interest in Wario Land.

And Game & Wario's E3 showing was so, so poor.

I haven't thougth about it this way, but youre pretty spot on.
Smooth Moves really was the last normal Ware game, all we have gotten since then was a tech demo (Snapped), a create it yourself kind of game (Do it yourself, duh), and something completely different (Game & Wario).

Still not sure what happened to Shake it thought, the game came out in the same year as Mario Kart Wii AND Super Smash Bros Brawl, did Nintendo really expect the game to not go under without any kind of exposure and marketing or do they really care that little ?

Last edited:
Know what smash needs? A version of the Palm Tree Paradise stage scrolling like it does in the Mushroomy Kingdom that would instantly give interest in the Land series.

But no, I doubt Smash would have a minor influence on the selling of G&W.

The fan game "Super Smash Flash" has a Palm Tree Paradise level, though it isn't scrolling. It's pretty cool. But yeah, I would like a scrolling Wario Land level in an actual Smash.

The fan game "Super Smash Flash" has a Palm Tree Paradise level, though it isn't scrolling. It's pretty cool. But yeah, I would like a scrolling Wario Land level in an actual Smash.
And I didn't even know that! In my Super Smash Flash time, I found the area and enemies from Wario Land 4 very interesting, although it wouldn't be for years until I would know where they came from.

Back