Crescent-Moon Villager

Nameless moon-presence
Was gonna make a Xenoblade thread but I figured that would be too narrow a topic for this site's audience. Soooo let's talk general JRPGs instead. This is a genre I've been getting into a lot recently since my best friend is a JRPG junky and has been introducing me to a lot of good JRPG's I've missed throughout the years.

I think I fell in love with the genre the moment I fought Fawful in Superstar Saga (maybe I played Pokémon Sapphire first, dunno, but that's neither here nor there) and it's probably my most played genre behind platformers and, er, whatever Zelda is. My first "real" JRPG (that is, not Mario or Pokémon) was the GBA version of Final Fantasy IV, and I loved the depth to the characters, the fantasy setting, the element of strategy in the turn-based combat, and the sheer length of the game. I usually look for JRPGs that are turnbased and have a fantasy setting, but Xenoblade has turned me on to real-time combat, if it's strategic. I looove MMORPG combat systems.

Do you like JRPGs or nah? What are some of your favorites, or ones you'd like to play? Were you sad when Aerith dieded?

Was gonna make a Xenoblade thread but I figured that would be too narrow a topic for this site's audience. Soooo let's talk general JRPGs instead. This is a genre I've been getting into a lot recently since my best friend is a JRPG junky and has been introducing me to a lot of good JRPG's I've missed throughout the years.

I think I fell in love with the genre the moment I fought Fawful in Superstar Saga (maybe I played Pokémon Sapphire first, dunno, but that's neither here nor there) and it's probably my most played genre behind platformers and, er, whatever Zelda is. My first "real" JRPG (that is, not Mario or Pokémon) was the GBA version of Final Fantasy IV, and I loved the depth to the characters, the fantasy setting, the element of strategy in the turn-based combat, and the sheer length of the game. I usually look for JRPGs that are turnbased and have a fantasy setting, but Xenoblade has turned me on to real-time combat, if it's strategic. I looove MMORPG combat systems.

Do you like JRPGs or nah? What are some of your favorites, or ones you'd like to play? Were you sad when Aerith dieded?

Haha, awwww, youre my bestie too <3
And haha, yeah Ive really turned you onto some good games, yeah : p I mean, someone had to do it : p

And yes, I am that junky : p Im not like..... a JRPG exclusive person or anything, but I do enjoy the genre a whole lot. Its a really good genre for people who enjoy story line and deep and interesting characters (even if it can be repetitive), and it generally has alot of great music, overworlds that are fun to explore, and an exciting cast that you become attached to. These things can exist in other genres, but I find them most often in JRPGs, so they are generally what catches my eye the most. I also really dont enjoy /most/ action orientated games. I do like them sometime, depending on the game. I loved Turok for N64, and played it often growing up. And I really enjoyed watching my brother play Perfect Dark. (I was never good at it : /) But I hate it when you have to redo things over and over in games, you lose the flow of it, the whole feeling and everything, and it just becomes annoying. Thats something I really like about JRPGs, when you hit a difficult spot, you usually just have to take a few minutes to level up real quick and then beat whatever is in your way : p It really makes the game more enjoyable than having to just keep doing it over and over until you hopefully luck out : /

I cant actually tell you which JRPG was my first, cuz I dont really know. I mean, it would depend on what qualifies aw a JRPG, and whether or not youd accept one that I played myself, or one that I watched my brothers beat entirely. I can say that the Legend of Zelda series had a big impact on gaming for me. I played lotsa games growing up, but I remember watching my older brother play and beat OoT, and then getting my chance to do it, I totally became obsessed with the game, and feel in love with it. I totally got into the big epic story, and the characters, and the whole quest thing. I loved the art style, the music, the intense feelings with things like fighting with Ganon and saving Zelda, as well as the more playful and non-serious parts too. So LoZ definitely led me to want more games like that : p

The first Japanese role-playing game that I had, that was mine, that I was allowed to play, was a game called Ogre Battles: Person of Lordly Calibur for N64. It was a strategy RPG, like Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics. I really got into it alot, and I really enjoyed it. I consider it to be my "first" JRPG, though its really a strategy JRPG. At around the exact same time as I got this game, my cousin gave a game called Aidyn Chronicles to my older brother, and I watched him play it as well. I remember comparing the two games with him : p AC is not Japanese, it was actually made by a Canadian company called H20 : p But it was made in the style of a JRPG, kinda. It was an open world, it revolved around a party of different characters, it had turned based battles. I really liked that game alot, too. I watched my brother play it about a year before I had my chance, but I also enjoyed it, and consider it one of my first...... RPGs, at least : p

Ive always mostly stuck with Nintendo consoles, and the reason being..... Ive always had a much much easier time finding games I really liked on Nintendo consoles than anything else : p Thats no lie : p Ive had playstation, and even XBox, but I always go through like 10 bad games before I find a good one, where Nintendo I usually am able to find a game I really enjoy one right after the other : p
So alot of my favorite games are for Nintendo consoles. And despite popular belief, they do have a few JRPGs, and Ive probly played most of them. I have a few top picks, one of them being

It really has the best into : p

I love like everything about it, it has my favorite video game character ever. I also loved all the other characters : p I loved the overworld, every continent is so different, all with their own different culture, and it really really makes you feel like youre exploring an entire world, over exploring a large plot of land in one single place. Theres so many discoveries you can discover too, and you receive credit for finding them. And I really enjoyed the ship aspect, having your own ship and costumizing it and making it stronger with different weapons and other equipable things. Its way fun : 3

I also really really liked

tales-of-symphonia-8-1024x768.jpg

For Gamecube : p
I really became obsessed with this game when I got it. It was the game I most looked forward to when I was waiting to get my Gamecube, and I was able to convince a friend to sell it to me for cheap for my bday : p This game has my favorite story of any game Ive played today, I really got into it, it has plot twist that are actually exciting, and make the game feel more mysterious, and keep you going to see what happens next. Most JRPGs have those big plot twists, but ToS was the one that felt most buyable and exciting and not totally tacked on : p

Ive often talked about Rune Factory, its really just Harvest Moon if Harvest Moon were an adventure RPG : p In fact it wa even created by the guy who made HM : p

e7b1f7a43b14ad66c1572d90c75145d5.jpg

Rune Factory is great if you want an life-sim adventure RPG with mining, crafting and a huge cast : p

I have a bunch of others, too. I might talk about them later if this thread gets any responses besides me : p

I think JRPGs, for the most part, tend to have a reputation for being like......"dark" and "brooding" and "edgy", but I really strongly prefer the more cheerful and colorful ones, they really have that "feel good" quality to them that make me wanna play them : p In fact, my first Rune Factory game, I really didnt know what it was at all when I first bought it, I went to the gamestore to get Super Mario Galaxy, and saw RF: Frontier in the corner of my eye, and saw how colorful and pretty the case was, and I bought it merely for that : p

Anywho, I wrote alot there, and have a feeling that like no one is actually gonna read my post. But if you did, way to go, trooper : p

Anywho, I wrote alot there, and have a feeling that like no one is actually gonna read my post. But if you did, way to go, trooper : p
I gave up half way on reading everything, or, not even half way but I read to the part "But I hate it when you have to redo things over and over in games" and got lazy to read.

What is a Jrpgs? I don't know what the stands for, but I'm trying to make Ashley's story. (An Ash-wee RPG.)

Japanese RolePlaying Game
So almost every RPG you've probably played in your life. Games like Pokémon, Final Fantasy, Earthbound, Paper Mario and Dragon Quest.

I'm not sure what Undertale is but I'll take your word for it. Indie RPG! We'll get popular YouTubers to play it (Try at least) and Ashley will be EVEN MORE KNOWN! ACROSS THE INTERNET AND BEYOND!

ASHLEY WILL BE UNSTOPPABLE!!!!!...Ummm

got a little carried away there, oops.

To be honest, the only JRPGS I still like are the Mario ones. Not so much cause of characters and story, but because they're some of the few RPGs where combat is about as much about reflexes as it is strategy. The overworld stuff seems a bit more dynamic too, with the platforming, various mini games, special moves, etc.

The difference between JRPGs and WRPGs is well I figure you're all familiar with JRPGs, but WRPGs typically sacrifice a strong rigid story for more player freedom with choices affecting outcomes. Examples of WRPG series include Fallout, Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls to name a few.

For all these years I thought Zelda was an RPG. Well, doesn't change my opinion on it, It's still SH&T!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of people seem to classify it as an RPG for some reason, and I don't really know why. The only one that really played like an RPG was Zelda II, because you could level up. I consider levelling up a requirement to be an RPG.

My game as of right now doesn't have leveling up but it has some of those RPG elements. At the end of the game Ashley becomes god of the universe for unknown reasons! She's just that powerful and awesome!

For Zelda, I thought it was an RPG, just look at everything, So very RPG-ish, wouldn't you say? Sure, those battle things aren't there but the adventure and a bi*ch being kidnapped and junk. Well, now that I think of it, it's like a dumbed down RPG for kids!

I guess, I mean you could just say you don't like it. There are games I don't like but I can still see why people enjoy them and what strengths they may have. Anyway, I have limited experience with JRPGs though I'd like to try more but they're really time consuming.

Yeah, Zelda is boring. Why does she have her name in the title? ruins the game for me. Back on topic, I don't dare go near JRPG/RPG games unless Mario's face is on the cover, it's the only ones I like.

I am not willing to give JRPGS a try unless

A.) Mario's in it.
or
B.) Ashley's in it.

My favorite JRPG is Mario and Luigi Dream team, just full of fun things. Like when toad says "And he was all like 'blah blah blah'" lol.

JRPGs I'd like to play? Well, let me see. If Nintendo made a JRPG about Ashley than yeah, I'd play that. I bet it would be real fun, as Red as a party member. Level up to become the best witch in the world.

First, you'll need 8 spell books from 8 different worlds, each spell book will make you powerful and stronger. All 8 books will open up the 9th world...Ashley faces god and beats him because Ashley's that good.

She just doesn't become the strongest witch in the world, she becomes the strongest in the multiverse!

Back