Mario Maker levels getting deleted forever...

ShyGuyXXL

Shyster Guyster
Diamond City Insider
Apparently that has happened a lot lately.
And it happened to me as well. One day I logged on and it told me 2 levels were "no longer online". This has happened before but I was always able to upload them again... but not this time.
Even if I change them or save them as a new level I can't upload them again.

But why? There was nothing offensive in them, nothing suggestive, they weren't impossibly hard or anything.
Just regular Mario Maker levels.
Is this really just because they didn't get enough "popularity" quickly enough? But why then don't they let you improve them?
I can see how my levels would be too hard for the little kiddies but that's no reason not to allow them online anymore. That's what expert and super expert are for.

So has this happened to you? What do you think about this?

I don't know about you but to me this is pretty confidence crushing. You pour all this time and effort into your creation, use all the creative design ideas you can think of, make it challenging but not too hard, make it look good and then suddenly all your work is gone forever, without a warning, JUST because nobody who played your level felt like giving it a star for a week or so.

What the hell, Nintendo?

• Agree
Reactions: 607
I mean, it would still be less confusing in that regard if they actually said literally anything at all about why they're removing it.

tumblr_inline_mpy05ynXN21rl5dg1.png
Probably where Mario Maker levels are stored can get too full? so they delete unpopular levels no one will really miss to free up space?

I don't think it's necessarily that they take up space but rather to free up clutter of low quality levels, which is understandable. Using popularity as a criteria I guess is an efficient way of picking out levels for the chopping block. Still, it's rather unfair and vague.

Yup, this is bull. I spend hours desigining courses, taking inspiration and guidance from some of my favorite platformers. I even have my sister play test them to make sure they're fun to everyone.

"lel delete delete lel"

Probably because the server can get crowded, though. I think there was actually something in the game that warns you that your courses will be deleted eventually.

"Good levels". Well, that's the problem. A level having no stars doesn't mean it's a bad level. Most of my levels are probably too hard for all the little kiddies so they can't beat them and don't give them a star. And if that's not the reason then it's because they are not gimmicky enough. My more gimmicky levels have plenty of stars but I don't wanna rely on gimmicks for every single level. Sometimes I just wanna make a regular challenging but fair level.

Indeed. Your levels are great, ShyGuy, and in my opinion, so are mine. But since September, on all 10 levels I've uploaded so far, I have only gotten 3 stars unasked for.
So whenever I upload a level, I ask a streamer to play it immediately, so it can never get deleted. One star, and it's safe, it seems for now.

Back