MARIO'S ISLAND? -a old horror-esque story I worked on

GRAND WA

The last sawfish
So, before I get to far into this, I should say that it isn't really supposed to be "MARIO.EXE" or any crap like that:mad:.

Now I'm not so sure if this story fits here, but it does relate to Wario and I really don't know where else to post it.

WARNING: THIS STORY IS A BIT GRIMDARK, IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THAT THEN DON'T READ.

MARIO'S ISLAND? which was just a title we made as a placeholder

is a story that well, didn't have a super consistent plot behind it, but the main idea was "mario is evil."
Me and my friends did it because we had both played Super Mario Land 2 and 3 (or Wario Land 1) and agreed that Mario acted like a jerk and different. We made this joke that it was like, mario's OTHER evil twin, even more ruthless than Wario. However, the idea grew on us, especially when we read the Mario vs. Wario comic.

I should say right now that the story isn't in work anymore, we haven't felt much motivation to continue to work on it.

Anyways, we decided to develop on it, making a story out of it, but the story kept getting mixed up. Allow me to summarize each variant of the story.

• The beta/early version of the game , R&D1 was told to give Mario personality to compete with sonic, However after a lot of frustration things got personal and they made Mario a jerk and Wario less of a jerk.
  • What we see when we play the game isn't the truth, and the Mario in that game is just a murderous person who kills everyone in the game over and over, no matter how many of the bosses try to stop him.
  • In all of the Mario land games except the first one, the Mario we play as isn't the same Mario, but a Mario from an alternate universe where he has killed all of his enemies and taken over the mushroom kingdom with Luigi. He somehow traveled to the dimension we play the Mario games in and tried to kill Wario, antagonizing him until he somehow ends up back in his universe. In our universe, Mario infact doesn't own the land that Wario is on, and Wario found the island on a expedition and settled there, meeting all of it's inhabitants. We thought that at this point Wario is still a bit of a "jerk", but he's not as rude as he is now. It isn't until "Not Mario" comes to the island and kills everyone and kicks out Wario that Wario becomes the way he is now.
Now, here's where stuff gets even more confusing. See we weren't sure if we wanted the story to break the fourth wall with Mario and Wario acknowledging they are in a video game or keeping with a story in the game's universe.

Anways, here is some panels we had made for a pseudo comic for the story, I haven't been able to find the dialogue that went with it, but I remember Wario being mad at Mario and Mario being disturbingly silent.

YWkqMnh.png
7Mag0Qv.png

jQTKAZa.png
Z5wiUCO.png

Xy0GLPD.gif
sTXuB0x.png

The Battle was never finished because we sorta wanted to actually make it playable, but that's probably what killed the project.

My friend may have some builds of the Battle game, but for now here is the little concept art we made for it.

vVgqoA9.png

In the end, Wario would have to inevitably leave the island, only able to heavily injure "Not Mario". We wanted the story then involve the actual Mario asking Wario why he hates him so much, then the story of the island would come out, Mario would say he doesn't remember it. They would then go back to the island and get trapped there by "Not Mario" and would be forced with finding a way to escape.

So that's the jyst of the story, I really wanted to at least post this somewhere since it looks like it will never see the light of day *Cries*. If you have any questions please ask, I'd love to answer them.

That's some pretty cool sprite art honestly. I'd actually like to see this completed or so, The black and white GB graphics especially kinda add to the theme of being a bit grimdark.

Back