Mario's Nightmare Quest (Wario content inside)

Oh look, more updates:

MariosNightmareQuest_00007.png

MariosNightmareQuest_00008.png

MariosNightmareQuest_00009.png

MariosNightmareQuest_00010.png

MariosNightmareQuest_00012.png

MariosNightmareQuest_00014.png

MariosNightmareQuest_00016.png

Oh hey, actual Wario Land related stuff:

MariosNightmareQuest_00017.png

MariosNightmareQuest_00018.png

MariosNightmareQuest_00019.png

The Rice Beach level has Wario Land enemies, blocks and items (which replace the default ones for this level only), the Arabian Night level (in progress) has different elements from the series. Like flying carpets.

Yeah erm... I messed up some of the pictures here. Turns out I forgot to rename some of the files ZSNES generates, so you end up having some of the new screens replace the old ones. Either way, you can now see pictures of the Japanese level's interior section, the Fawful boss arena and the Drill Dozer themed toy level. Which hopefully look cool.

Some updates:

desertworld.png

forest.png

hauntedworld.png

ghostship.png

palace1.png

palace2.png

palace3.png

And some graphics planned for use in the Ashley's Mansion level:

mansiontileset.png

Along with some of the possible music for said level:

And level ideas:

Beehive related level: Complete with barrel cannons, pegs (from King of Swing), Zingers, cartoony DK enemies and maybe a chase scene involving King Zing.

Bridge to Hell:
A bridge level, a bit like Silent Span in Mario Fusion Revival or the bridge in Mario End Game. Except with the gimmick of the level getting darker and more gloomy as you proceed.

[Inside of a creature]: Mentioned in my tileset request topic, but yeah. You know the drill.

Abandoned Toad House: A trek through a Toad House that's fallen into decay after a monster attack. Maybe with ghostly undead Toads as enemies, for the creepy factor.

Royal Crypt: A mix of the level from the Minish Cap, the Bottom of the Well and the Shadow Temple from Ocarina of Time. You get to use the Lens of Truth to reveal hidden obstacles and fake walls and floors by pressing the L or R button.

[Something from the Wind Waker]: Not sure what, but some level or another. I was considering something based on either Dragon Roost Cavern or the Wind Temple, but it's unknown yet.

Stone Tower Temple: Based on Majora's Mask, with the gimmick being able to flip the building upside down.

Hyrule Castle: Self explanatory, references Link to the Past/Between Worlds, Twilight Princess, etc.

So, any thoughts on these concepts?

1. The expanded 'I hate you level'

It's already based on this creepypasta:

But it may also have another interesting twist... Namely, Mario thinks he's escaped, and then ends up in what appears to be the ruins of the Mushroom Kingdom, after a decade long disappearance led to Bowser's forces and such taking over. And places like Diamond City seem to be affected as well. Why? Cause remember, he encountered Wario earlier, and if Wario's been missing for a decade as well... Either way, cue a very, very disturbing trail of zombified enemies (literally, you've got Goombas and Piranha Plants with half their heads missing as if they've been chewed on, and specks of blood), and then the weird revelation that:

This level was a dream. A dream inside a dream, like Dream's Deep in Mario & Luigi Dream Team, based on Mario's worst fears

So yeah, thoughts? I was also going to have an interesting explanation for Ashley's backstory at one point elsewhere, although I didn't see where it'd fit. Maybe the reason her family isn't seen in a Wario game is because some creepy antagonist or another wiped them out in the past for whatever reason. Maybe one of those Luigi's Mansion ghosts got bored or something...

You walk through. It's RPG style, or like a Legend of Zelda game.

It's a semi top down perspective. You don't clip on doors.
I see. So will the game incorporate some RPG elements? Like for example Mario & Luigi style fights? Or will there even be enemies on the top down perspective sections at all?

I see. So will the game incorporate some RPG elements? Like for example Mario & Luigi style fights? Or will there even be enemies on the top down perspective sections at all?

The top down parts will have enemies and even some bosses.

But:

1. This will be exclusive to the Hyrule Castle level. After all, what better way to add variety to a Zelda themed world than a level which actually plays like a Zelda game? It will have soldiers to avoid or kill with fireballs, blade traps and firebars to dodge, other enemies like Stalfos and Octoroks and whoever else to avoid or defeat, keys to pick up and open doors with and blocks to push around to solve puzzles.

There'll probably even a bit where you're walking around the castle battlements (rooftops) with lightning and thunder in the background and projectile attacks being shot at you from all angles. I also plan to have Mario fight Yuga:

(see 3:50 in)

As well as a 2D version of this Ganondorf battle:

And maybe Ganon.

2. No, no RPG battles. More like Zelda battles, based on action skills and reflexes.

Back