Metroid Thread

Magma

Oldhead
Diamond City Leader
Noticed we didn't seem to have an actual proper Metroid thread so I might as well go ahead and start one for this sort of almost sibling series to the Wario Land series. The biggest news we got going is we have two Metroid games coming out after years of no Metroid games at all. However, I am filled with a bit of skeptical cautiousness. Metroid II is one of my favorites and the trailer so far looks and sounds very little like the actual game which is disappointing but still I'm hoping for something good since it's all probably set in stone by now.
Metroid Prime 4 is also a bit of worrying case since we have no idea who's behind it aside from not Retro Studios. It is rather exciting news but it almost feels like a potential double whammy.

I wanna be hyped for Prime 4 but like you said we don't know who's behind. Bec ause of that i don't really have much to say on Prime 4 until more information comes.

As for the M2 Remake, i don't think it'll stand up too AM2R AND i hate that the sond test and hard mode is locked behind amiibo support. That's dumb to me because older Nintendo you had to unlock them. Even the late Iwata said that its only good in the short term only. So why have glorified DLC of essential features in it? That being said i'm sure it'll be a great game but this is part of it that i'm just dissapointed in, So i'll take AM2R over it but i think Nintendo's version is worth a shot.

Yay, a Metroid thread! I wanted to make one for a while, but I didn't think anyone would be interested in it.

Yay, a Metroid thread! I wanted to make one for a while, but I didn't think anyone would be interested in it.
Maybe you're on to something since it's been almost a week and this thread has already been buried
I wanna be hyped for Prime 4 but like you said we don't know who's behind. Bec ause of that i don't really have much to say on Prime 4 until more information comes.

As for the M2 Remake, i don't think it'll stand up too AM2R AND i hate that the sond test and hard mode is locked behind amiibo support. That's dumb to me because older Nintendo you had to unlock them. Even the late Iwata said that its only good in the short term only. So why have glorified DLC of essential features in it? That being said i'm sure it'll be a great game but this is part of it that i'm just dissapointed in, So i'll take AM2R over it but i think Nintendo's version is worth a shot.
I almost feel like it's more of a reinvisioning of the idea of a sequel to the original Metroid rather than an actual remake of Metroid II.

Maybe you're on to something since it's been almost a week and this thread has already been buried

I almost feel like it's more of a reinvisioning of the idea of a sequel to the original Metroid rather than an actual remake of Metroid II.

Yes, well, it's a bit sad, even though Metroid II and Wario Land share the same producer and team, seems like Wario fans are usually not Metroid fans. I honestly thought I was the only one who was a fan of both.

Anyway, I'm gonna say that my favorite Metroid game is Zero Mission, next to Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. I have fond memories of Metroid II and I love the Prime series. I just can't get along with the first Metroid, it's kinda boring and repetitive.
I consider Metroid Zero Mission to have perfect controls and a really good flow. It's also a really good remaster of the original.

Anyone tried Samus Returns yet? I haven't tried it myself and while I am disappointed that it's a reimagination rather than a proper remake, I am glad we've gotten a proper quality Metroid entry and especially a 2D one as well after so long.

Ridley gets shoehorned in as the final boss, when he really didn't need to be.

So, on the Metroid series in general, I kind of blame Prime for the shift away from "Mother Brain was the leader of the pirates and Kraid/Ridley were her generals" to "Mother who now? Ridley was always the one in charge! What's a kraid?" Due to Retro cutting Kraid from the game and not following through on initial concepts of having Mother Brain around, Ridley was the big bad of the game, and cemented him in the minds of the modern toxic meteoroid fan. This was only accentuated by Metroid Fusion, which is, eh, whatever. Fusion in isolation was fine, but dual-released with Prime, it just compounded things. This is all despite the fact that if you read Prime's manual and in-game scans, they go out of their way to make note that Kraid is just as important as Ridley, and is the one staying on Zebes to lead the rebuilding effort.

Zero Mission just made this worse. Not in and of itself, though the post-game boss being metal-Ridley didn't help things, but mainly the tie-in manga, which, while propping up Mother Brain a lot, made Kraid a mindless beast and placed super importance on Ridley, making Samus' fights with him a personal vendetta, as he was the one who murdered her family. So Mother brain is now an intelligent ai that is Samus' surrogate mother who has been corrupted by the Space Pirates, and Ridley is the real one in charge, and is the one who has haunted Samus' dreams since childhood.

Corruption just furthered this even more with all the aurora units, making Mother Brain no longer a unique being and now just, like, one of many super-computers of that type, while having many cinematic fights with Ridley. Kraid was also eschewed for a robot-not-kraid, even though Bryyo is arguably the most lore we've had for Kraid in the series yet, even if it's all inferred.

Then Other M comes out, and, once again, makes it all about fucking Ridley, even giving him a cute adolescent mascot form. Jesus fuck. Mother Brain actually gets some character development in this one, but, once again, is just an AI gone wrong, rather than an actual person with intent.

Fed Force features a "Master Brain" with no explanation, furthering the concept that Mother Brain is just one of many of this type of thing.

...it's hard being a fan of Kraid

So I see it all the time now but why does Samus rest her hand over her arm cannon in these games since... Other M I think? It makes no sense. The cannon is an extension of her arm so why would she need another hand to help aim? And if she did need another hand to help her aim, wouldn't she hold her gun from the bottom and not the top?

Who on the team designed this?! It's really dumb looking. Probably the same genius who says Samus is a "bounty hunter" but also says she isn't really a bounty hunter.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2009/08/29/a-spa...in-texas?page=8

So I see it all the time now but why does Samus rest her hand over her arm cannon in these games since... Other M I think? It makes no sense. The cannon is an extension of her arm so why would she need another hand to help aim? And if she did need another hand to help her aim, wouldn't she hold her gun from the bottom and not the top?

Who on the team designed this?! It's really dumb looking. Probably the same genius who says Samus is a "bounty hunter" but also says she isn't really a bounty hunter.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2009/08/29/a-spa...in-texas?page=8
She seems to have controls on the top part of her cannon, maybe that's why. She might also have to put some weight on to minimize recoil.
On the other hand, in Metroid fusion, she holds it on the underside.

Although we didn't get anything related to Metroid Prime 4 on E3 I'm still hoping it'd be much like the first two prime games in the series. A lot of the mystery was sort of taken out in Prime 3 considering there are now troopers and other spacemen you see here and there on each planet you visit which in itself doesn't seem bad until you realize Metroid is a series in which you pretty much travel through out a desolate wasteland with no one in sight which gives it that edge alongside it's music anyways here you go.

Back