New to everything Wario.

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to say that my first encounter with Wario was through the Mario Tennis series, and he became a Top 4 character for me in SSB Brawl, but he's now my #1 go to character in Smash U because they've made him extremely fun and deadly to use. Connecting with a Wario Waft to win a match is awesome especially when I get to throw in a taunt at the very very end.

I've always thought of Wario as a goofy comedic version of Mario (it's the only version I knew growing up), and it seems lately Nintendo has gone that route with he and Waluigi.

I have a 3DSxl and Wii U. What Wario-related games should I get and play? I'm new to the Wario craze but he's easily my favorite character in the Nintendo Universe now, that includes Mario Kart as well. I've never played a Wario cover title before, was thinking about picking up Game & Wario for $30.

Wario Land II and 3 are the platformers I've played, and they're great. They're on the 3DS eshop.

The original WarioWare is available on the Wii U VC and it's often considered the best in the series. Smooth Move's my personal favourite and it works great in Wii BC mode. Game & Wario is... not worth full retail price.

Welcome to the forums, WarioWaft. Hopefully you'll have fun here on the forums.

Now, since you're fairly new to Wario matters, I do suppose it's only fair I give you my suggestions. Of course, I say go with what works for you, but if you want my opinion...

The Wario Land series is amazing, though to ensure your reflexes aren't messed with too much, I'd suggest starting with Wario Land 3 and going from there. I think it makes for a better experience that way. Also, Wario: Master of Disguise isn't very good, though it has its fans. Just don't buy it for an expensive price.

With WarioWare, though, far as my experience goes, you can start with just about any of them. Except Snapped and Game & Wario. After playing the former, it's only fun of you can actually get it working...and good luck even getting started on playing it. Game & Wario isn't bad in my opinion, but it's different from the other games, and while I may enjoy it, others hate it, so I'd say you actually found a decent deal, all things considered. The only way to know if you like it is to play it yourself and see.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums and welcome to Wario in general, WarioWaft! :) I am certain you have picked a great series to be a fan of, and will not be disappointed. If you like playing as Wario in Mario spin-offs and enjoy his character, then I have to say playing his actual games feels even better. You get to experience all of his glorious flabbiness transforming into various things and causing a lot of funny effects. VforVictory: As well as seeing him interact with his equally interesting group of friends/rivals/enemies. Carpaccio:: Orbulondiy::

As for game recommendations... other than what has already been said, the most critically acclaimed Wario games are Land 2/3/4, and the first Ware (both for GBA and GCN, the latter having easily the best multiplayer of the entire series). Another good Wario game for beginners would be Land Shake It!: it has most classic Wario platforming elements and is very aesthetically pleasing. And since you have a 3DS, Touched! for the DS is also a great option, as is the previously mentioned Smooth Moves for the Wii.

As for Game & Wario... while a lot of people criticize it, I agree with SurrealBrain in that you found a good price. If you never met the WarioWare characters, it's a very good game to get to know them, as their little stories tell you a lot about them, and you can unlock their bios, as well as "gossips" that tell you a lot of interesting things about the Diamond City pals.

"Wahoo! Excellent." Maybe you should try Wario Land 4 on the Wii U VC. The sound effects and quality platforming in that game are excellent.

I honestly think you shouldn't start with Game & Wario, it hasn't been received too well. If you do decide to get it right away, please remember that it's not like the WarioWare games, so if you like Game & Wario or not shouldn't affect you deciding to buy WarioWare titles.
As for Wario Land, I think you should try to get Wario Land 3 and II. (If you have a device to play them on, that is)
Wario Land II and 3 are my favourite Wario Land games (and many people here agree with me on that one) and Wario Land 3 is a great place to start. I think you shouldn't do II before 3, because somehow 3 would come first, in chronological order.
I hope you can find one of those two games somewhere and have fun playing :)

Back