Recommended order of playing the games

Calm down people. It's really nothing to get heated over.
It's not the first time something like this happened thought and to be fair to BigMagma he has been very patient with this shit during the past two or so months, so it's understandable that he would get this annoyed at some point.

Yes, calm down people. It's just a big misunderstanding. I thought playing in order was the best way to go, but mainly because I'm new to the series. He said I shouldn't discuss about this, but in my defense I only said to play it in order because I thought that was the right way, I was gonna see why people play it out of order.

So it's because Wario Land is kinda weird gameplay wise with it's sequels.

On a more positive note, that is something that I do really love about this series: All the games are really fucking good. Any of the core Wario Land titles are worthy of being your favourite and I feel there are valid reasons to back each of them as that. The order that you play them in might not necessarily influence your preference, since each game in the series has unique aspects to it that gives it its own distinctions, upsides and downsides that you may or many not prefer to the others. It's a matter of choice, and means that there isn't one that is oft-consisidered the best game in the series, objectively.

Talking about these games remains interesting because there'll always be someone with a new insight into why they favored 3 over 4, or why another may have liked Shake It better than either of them. You might prefer having a health system, you might not. You might prefer 2's forking paths or 3's more open world. You might prefer Wario on a rescue mission, comical or otherwise, or you may prefer him on a strict avenue to make himself richer or get his stuff back. Wario Land is a truely special series and I firmly believe there's just as many reasons given to like each installment as they distinguish themselves in ways that really matter. I love the amount of choice we have and seeing what people most enjoyed and why is something that I think does stay at the heart of the community for these games.

I would be hesitant to recommend chronological order, as I find Wario Land 1 too tame in comparison; I also wouldn't recommend Shake It! for this reason. (And, I assume, the Virtual Boy game is similar.) Wario Land 2 is where the series comes into its own. I agree that playing 3 after 2 and/or 4 is a little unsettling due to the stripping of abilities -- but, at the same time, it's also the most confusing game of the series. 4 seems to be the most accessible to me, and it's also a highlight of the series.

~~~~~
Kyon, as an aside, I wish you were going to at least toss a bon mot or two if you are so keen on being the forum's resident troll. I find your provocation both obvious and tedious.

We're talking about newcomers here.
If somebody hasn't played the series before, we want them to start with something more simple, and that is Wario Land 4, then moving on to other games, having already learned Wario's main mechanics

So, start with 1, which is like a transition between Mario and Wario.
Then Wario Land 4, which allows players to learn a lot of new mechanics (transformation, puzzles, exploration) without ever feeling overwhelmed.

Wario Land 3 is the most confusing game for thosr who haven't played it, so I woukd recommend saving it for aftef Wario Land 2, which will get players used to the no death mechanic

I owned WL3 and WL4 as a kid and started out on the two, but as for recommendations I wouldn't choose people to play WL3 first since it's the longest out of the series and the puzzles might confuse new players.

WL4 = WL2(either any of these two first or reversed overder) > WL3 > WL1 and if possible VBWL1 can be in any order either for this one too.

I owned WL3 and WL4 as a kid and started out on the two, but as for recommendations I wouldn't choose people to play WL3 first since it's the longest out of the series and the puzzles might confuse new players.

WL4 = WL2(either any of these two first or reversed overder) > WL3 > WL1 and if possible VBWL1 can be in any order either for this one too.

Oh my god I FORGOT Virtual Boy and I actually loved that one alot smh

Call me boring but I'd just go in chronological order for the most part. Of course World comes after 4 because I always liked the idea of it taking place directly after and the black jewel was taken from the Golden Pyramid.

SML3: WL
VBWL
WL2
WL3
WL4
WW
WL:SI
MoD

Wario Blast, Wario's Woods, and Mario & Wario are completely optional, but I'd prefer to play them early on, between SML3:WL and WL2

Back