Shantae Thread

I love Shantae, it's my favorite series and she's my favorite character. But because of garbage like this and other stupid shit I am not a part of any sort of Shantae "fandom" or "community" outside of Wayforward's own backer forum. Well, and this very thread I suppose.
Shantae is a special thing to me and I don't need it tainted by weirdos and idiots.

fuck Gaijin Goomba.

View attachment 6083

I don't consider myself part of the Shantae community either. Sometimes I visit the Shantae Wiki but that's about it. You are the only Shantae fan I have ever discussed with.

"all but guaranteed" means "very nearly, or almost guaranteed".
No. Of course not. All but guaranteed. That means, in terms you might be more familiar with, everything except guaranteed. So it's likely, unlikely, impossible, possible, and so on, but there's one thing it's not: and that is guaranteed. d:)

Edit: Because you said it was an expression, I Googled it. And I was very surprised. Apparently, what you are describing has been used as an expression. See this page, for example. https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/9967/all-but-idiom-has-two-meanings
That is really strange, and I am not in favour of it. But as it does apparently happen more often, you're fine, you can use the expression if you want. d:) Just keep in mind it might very well confuse people, as its meaning is almost the complete opposite of what it should be.

I don't consider myself part of the Shantae community either. Sometimes I visit the Shantae Wiki but that's about it. You are the only Shantae fan I have ever discussed with.

Likewise, pretty much. I'm willing to make exceptions depending on the circumstance, of course. Twitter users reach out to me sometimes. But even if I were interested in such a thing, finding a worthwhile Shantae conversation that isn't about "lolol so HAWT XD" is a challenge in it's own so it's not even worth my time. I like the way things are.

DJ Shant sprite2.png

No. Of course not. All but guaranteed. That means, in terms you might be more familiar with, everything except guaranteed. So it's likely, unlikely, impossible, possible, and so on, but there's one thing it's not: and that is guaranteed. d:)

Edit: Because you said it was an expression, I Googled it. And I was very surprised. Apparently, what you are describing has been used as an expression. See this page, for example. https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/9967/all-but-idiom-has-two-meanings
That is really strange, and I am not in favour of it. But as it does apparently happen more often, you're fine, you can use the expression if you want. d:) Just keep in mind it might very well confuse people, as its meaning is almost the complete opposite of what it should be.

Uh...thanks?
shantae 1.png

But even if I were interested in such a thing, finding a worthwhile Shantae conversation that isn't about "lolol so HAWT XD" is a challenge in it's own so it's not even worth my time. I like the way things are.

Sadly I can relate to this all too well. Finding a decent discussion can be really frustrating, believe me. And I'm not talking about video games only. Just having a normal discussion about anything can be hard, since many people are either as shallow as a kiddie pool, jerkasses, or just plain morons. :shulk:

But back on topic. Just the other day I bought my latest 3DS theme: that of Rottytops and her brothers. Now I have all avaiable Shantae themes complete. I had some hesitation buying the Rottytops theme, since she's not my favourite character and it would take all the money I had left, but I have to admit, I don't regret it. Gotta love the zombie screams and Shantae's adorable ¨Ewww ewww ewww!¨

Sadly I can relate to this all too well. Finding a decent discussion can be really frustrating, believe me. And I'm not talking about video games only. Just having a normal discussion about anything can be hard, since many people are either as shallow as a kiddie pool, jerkasses, or just plain morons. :shulk:

But back on topic. Just the other day I bought my latest 3DS theme: that of Rottytops and her brothers. Now I have all avaiable Shantae themes complete. I had some hesitation buying the Rottytops theme, since she's not my favourite character and it would take all the money I had left, but I have to admit, I don't regret it. Gotta love the zombie screams and Shantae's adorable ¨Ewww ewww ewww!¨

Heh, I love that theme. Even though I'm a bit partial to Shant herself, it's still fun as hell. Great to use around Halloween.

Or whenever the hell you want. Fuck the police.

ya boy.png

Poe is actually much nicer than you'd expect at first, although he's, as with Bolo, not the brightest guy around. But Abner, I dunno. I have always seen him as a half friend, half enemy to Shantae, like Squid Baron, but more on the enemy side than in the case of Squid Baron. Canon says that Rotty's brothers have a bad influence on her, but honestly I think Abner is the only bad influence here.

Poe is actually much nicer than you'd expect at first, although he's, as with Bolo, not the brightest guy around. But Abner, I dunno. I have always seen him as a half friend, half enemy to Shantae, like Squid Baron, but more on the enemy side than in the case of Squid Baron. Canon says that Rotty's brothers have a bad influence on her, but honestly I think Abner is the only bad influence here.

Abner's a rough dude, and definitely an asshole, but he clearly cares very much for his sister and her well being. I think he's got a bigger heart than he lets on.

One could say that Abner is a bit like Mayor Scuttlebutt, who can also be a real nuisance to Shantae but, as shown in Pirate's Curse, genuinely cares about his city unlike that Ammo Baron. Though the Mayor is more dumb than rude.

Now that we're nearing the end of this adventure that's called Half-Genie Hero, I would like to ask some fellow Shantae fans, especially @JS Shantae, how you came to know about this weird and wonderful series.

I first heard about Shantae in early 2016. Strangely enough, I know the exact date (February 1; that's why I'm posting this today) but not how I came to know about it, but I guess it's because of some youtube vid. But even this is evidently not entirely true; I have liked/rated a post on this Forum featuring Shantae that was from before this date. More strangely, I've had fantasies about a Sequin Land-like world with pirates, genies and zombies since my early childhood. Though highly unlikely, it may not be impossible that Shantae's first game caused this, though I think it was actually WL 4's Arabian Night and Wario Land 1 and II.

You should definitely try it! Shantae is considered one of the best games for the GBC, and if you play it, you will see why.

(Also, she has a 7 letter name starting with S and having two A's in it)

Whoa how long did it take you to find this out? You put a lot of thought into this.
(By the way, I also noticed a funny coincidence lately: The first Shantae game came out in 2002, and it took much inspiration from, among other things, the stories of 1,001 Nights. What number do you get when you double 1,001?)

Haha, I completely forgot this was a thing.

Now that we're nearing the end of this adventure that's called Half-Genie Hero, I would like to ask some fellow Shantae fans, especially @JS Shantae, how you came to know about this weird and wonderful series.

I first heard about Shantae in early 2016. Strangely enough, I know the exact date (February 1; that's why I'm posting this today) but not how I came to know about it, but I guess it's because of some youtube vid. But even this is evidently not entirely true; I have liked/rated a post on this Forum featuring Shantae that was from before this date. More strangely, I've had fantasies about a Sequin Land-like world with pirates, genies and zombies since my early childhood. Though highly unlikely, it may not be impossible that Shantae's first game caused this, though I think it was actually WL 4's Arabian Night and Wario Land 1 and II.

Ok, well, I first heard about Shantae in 2002, when it was released. I had a subscription to Nintendo Power, and they were one of the only publications that gave any promotion to the game. At the time I was really into Wario Land (moreso than usual) and I was playing through all of the games (minus VB) which at the time were Wario Land 1, 2, and 3. Once I completed them I was still hungry for more Wario Land, and I saw Shantae in Nintendo Power. Immediately I noticed the similarities to Wario Land (especially 3) and learned that it was, in fact, inspired by it as well. I got the game soon after and loved it. I've still got my boxed copy to this day.
Now, everyone including myself never really thought there would be another Shantae game, so she kind of faded into obscurity. Even though I loved the game, it had little relevance. Then Risky's Revenge came out and Shant was back. Although I was a fan since the beginning, it wouldn't be for a few years later that I would ascend to the next level of fandom.
Several years after this I had a pretty messy breakup with a woman I was going to marry. It sucked hard and put me in a terrible depression. During this time I didn't do much, but one thing I did do was play a lot of Shantae games. Shantae was such a charming and loveable character in such a well-made game series, that it was pretty much the only thing that made me happy. I just couldn't help but smile at her antics. In a way, Shantae helped get me through a very dark time in my life. So for that reason I will always be a fierce defender and die-hard fan of the series.

View attachment 6463

By the way, Sabrina the Animated Series Zapped and its sequal Spooked are:
Both for gameboy color
Both by WayForward
Both starring a girl who's a half magical being
(Also, she has a 7 letter name starting with S and having two A's in it)
Those games made me want to try Shantae for gbc.

Hahaha this is great.

https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/973589702493294593
Hey look! Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is coming to the Switch in a week! And that's with the Shantae: Nab! microgame included.

Also, these new backer T's look great!
https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/971173159360544768

Yup and yup. Can't wait for the backer T's. Looks great. I don't have a Switch yet but when I do I'll surely get PC (it will be the seventh time I've purchased the game. lol)

shantae_fan_art_by_saber16-d6mu2mb (1).png

Last edited:
Back