Should there be a Mario + Kirby crossover title?

BooDestroyer

Treasure Collector Extraordinaire
(Putting this here because ideally, Wario would be in it too)

Both these series always seemed to be somewhat similar in many ways. They've always had quite a steady character-base, and would possibly work well together.

But...

What kind of game would it be though? A platformer may make it seem really disjointed, but it can still be an adventure of both series coming together. Maybe a whole different genre, though? But what...

And after we've figured that out, what other characters from both series would there be in it?

Last edited:
Aside from Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight and perhaps the enemies, I wouldn't consider Kirby to have much of a steady character-base at all.

Though I guess that also goes for Mario but I think Kirby is still worse in this regard.

There's also Bandana Dee and (to a far lesser extent) the animal buddies and certain bosses like Whispy Woods, but other then that there really isn't much else of a regular Kirby cast, with most characters only making about two meaningful appearences, before becoming recurring cameo fodder (Marx) at best.

Aside from Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight and perhaps the enemies, I wouldn't consider Kirby to have much of a steady character-base at all.

Though I guess that also goes for Mario but I think Kirby is still worse in this regard.
Yeah, the same can ultimately be said about Mario.

Mario's main-main cast (or main-main-main, depending on who you ask) consists of Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Toad, and Bowser.

I don't find Kirby interesting enough to want this, really. Sorry Kirby fans, but I've always found Kirby to be quite bland.

I don't find Kirby interesting enough to want this, really. Sorry Kirby fans, but I've always found Kirby to be quite bland.

Ah, c'mon. Don't you like Kirby? He's like, the cutest character ever.
main.png

Look at him. LOOK AT HIM! :SHearts:

Ah, c'mon. Don't you like Kirby? He's like, the cutest character ever.
main.png

Look at him. LOOK AT HIM! :SHearts:

I don't dislike him or anything, I just never found Kirby or his games to be interesting or compelling. The characters and plotlines are pretty bland and I always felt the games didn't really offer me anything I couldn't already get in Mario.

That said I mean no offense to Kirby fans. If he's your guy, he's your guy.

Shant is much cuter
shantsmile.png

Eh, I'm not sure about a crossover here. I quite like Kirby's universe, and I like the Mario series, but as a crossover it just doesn't excite me that much. If you're gonna do a crossover, do one with a really interesting franchise that everyone would be super hyped about. Like Sonic the Hedgehog or Mega Man or the Legend of Zelda instead.

A crossover would probably make sense if it's not a previously used genre. Think Mario+Rabbids. They threw them in a genre new to both universes, making them somewhat equal. It's kinda hard to fit both in an existing universe due to possible cheating, like Kirby flying over a Mario-universe stage or Mario using the same power-up (think Fire Flower) against Kirby-universe enemies and avoiding the whole ability copy thing.

A crossover would probably make sense if it's not a previously used genre. Think Mario+Rabbids. They threw them in a genre new to both universes, making them somewhat equal. It's kinda hard to fit both in an existing universe due to possible cheating, like Kirby flying over a Mario-universe stage or Mario using the same power-up (think Fire Flower) against Kirby-universe enemies and avoiding the whole ability copy thing.
This reminds me, why does Nintendo always do odd crossovers? Like the idea of a Sonic and Mario crossover platformer sounds amazing. Instead, we get some serviceable sports-themed party games. We've also gotten board games and idol games. What would Mario and Kirby do? Skiing?

This reminds me, why does Nintendo always do odd crossovers? Like the idea of a Sonic and Mario crossover platformer sounds amazing. Instead, we get some serviceable sports-themed party games. We've also gotten board games and idol games. What would Mario and Kirby do? Skiing?

Hoping we get the inevitable sequel to this amazing mario mahjong game featuring kirby and his pals.

As a fan of both series' I say, why not?
Both share a few things in common and I think there is a lot of potential for such a crossover to work.
They may have to play a bit with both formulas to make it work, do it like Paper Jam and stick to one but with elements of the other or even come up with something entirely new (Which definitely won't be a first for Kirby or for Mario), but I definitely think it's possible to have something unique and interesting with both franchises.

Though if I had to choose between a Mario/Kirby crossover
or something like a Proper Mario/Sonic or a Mario/Zelda crossover, then I would gladly choose the latter two any day.

Last edited:
There are so many ways this could go. They could to an RPG like they did with M&L Paper Jam, we could get yarn Mario, maybe Mario Mass attack with mini Marios or the like but... I expect if they did a crossover they'd add Cappy so Mario can copy abilities too and just have the game play like a Kirby game.

But Smash Bros. imo is a Kirby crossover since Master/Crazy Hand are in Kirby so why make a Mario/Kirby crossover specifically.

That doesn't make any sense. Those two hands are Smash Bros. characters first and foremost, their appearance in Amazing Mirror was a cameo at best.

Back