So like is Yoshi's franchise dead?

I didn't see all the above posts, so forgive me if any of this has been said before.

Yoshi's franchise definitely isn't dead. Heck, a new game for the switch has been in development for quite some time now. We just aren't getting spinoff titles anymore, which is okay. Since they were for the most part considered to be pretty mediocre. I think the series will only get better from here now that they're not being outsourced to Artoon/Arzest anymore.

I definitely recommend playing Wooly World, as it's easily the best Yoshi game since the original in my opinion. It plays absolutely nothing like Epic Yarn, and actually kind of controls like the original, at least compared to New Island. The artstyle is different than Epic Yarn's, too. Epic Yarn's style was mostly about patches and individual strands of yarn, whereas Wooly World is much more 3d (not exactly sure what the style is called). Good-Feel shows that they've improved a lot in terms of level design since Shake-It, and like the original some of the secrets are actually really well hidden.

@Punikki For every hair I have on my head, I have a problem with New Island. The next one definitely needs to be developed in-house, because goodness gracious did I think that game was a total trainwreck. I could probably make a massive wall of text about it, but to sum it up, the soundtrack was horrendous and although there were a few good songs, they all followed that same melody. Although the fort theme was pretty cool at least. If you thought the title screen and Yoshi clan songs were bad, try listening to the cave music, which stands on that fine line between music and just plain noise. The game felt slow and Yoshi controlled like a truck. The final boss was awful, and the music was just boring compared to the original's. The story was just a super unnecessary retcon of the original's (imo it should have just been a retelling), and Bowser was literally just blatantly shoehorned in to be the final boss. The level design was really meh, and the secrets were not hidden in a clever way at all. To 100% a level, especially later on, requires you running and hopping around aimlessly like a chicken without a head in hopes that you'll activate a hidden winged cloud. No offense to anyone who enjoyed the game, that's just my opinion on it.
One thing that I will give the game credit for is the graphics. They weren't perfect by any means, but I like the style that they went with. It looks like they tried to recreate the colored pencil/crayon style of the original.

@Punikki For every hair I have on my head, I have a problem with New Island. The next one definitely needs to be developed in-house, because goodness gracious did I think that game was a total trainwreck. I could probably make a massive wall of text about it, but to sum it up, the soundtrack was horrendous and although there were a few good songs, they all followed that same melody. Although the fort theme was pretty cool at least. If you thought the title screen and Yoshi clan songs were bad, try listening to the cave music, which stands on that fine line between music and just plain noise. The game felt slow and Yoshi controlled like a truck. The final boss was awful, and the music was just boring compared to the original's. The story was just a super unnecessary retcon of the original's (imo it should have just been a retelling), and Bowser was literally just blatantly shoehorned in to be the final boss. The level design was really meh, and the secrets were not hidden in a clever way at all. To 100% a level, especially later on, requires you running and hopping around aimlessly like a chicken without a head in hopes that you'll activate a hidden winged cloud. No offense to anyone who enjoyed the game, that's just my opinion on it.
One thing that I will give the game credit for is the graphics. They weren't perfect by any means, but I like the style that they went with. It looks like they tried to recreate the colored pencil/crayon style of the original.
I had been excited for it, and when I played a demo, was rather disappointed. I wasn't offended until I saw the final boss sequence, though. And yes, I've compared the Cave themes from Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's New Island. It's stupid.
But oh well, fortunately we've got Yoshi's Woolly World since, which improves on Yoshi's Island in many aspects instead of diminishing on it in every aspect.

Back