So... what the hell was that secret last level in WL 2?

Domi

Legendary Thief
I've been hesitating about making a thread about this but- I need to know the answer, and almost everyone takes that level for granted or doesn't seem to question what was that.

So, imagine you played the WL series back in the day except WL2. Then you decide to play the series again and finally give WL2 a chance. Haha, everything seems cool, fine, fun, you are having a good time, haha, you think you've seen everything in this series then out of nowhere BAM LIVING FLESH NIGHTMARE FUEL LEVEL.

WHAT AND WHY? WHAT THE?

I get it. "It's just a game bro! You are overthinking! There's no hidden meaning!" Sure, sure but. But why? Why make a level that looks... like that? It really stands out with the rest of the game.

The only thing that comes to mind is that WL2 was going to be quite different compared to what the final product is. The game was initially delayed... It features timelines which games heavy on story normally use for all kind of crazy and shocking endings... I'm probably imaging things but-

I need an explanation. I haven't slept in months. Please send help, I'm still traumatised ohgodimsad:

Oh, you mean that "Steal the Syrup's Treasure!" time attack level? Well, we haven't brought up that level in a looong time on these Forums, but you're certainly not the only one who was creeped out by it. It's indeed something you wouldn't expect, and it can indeed leave you with a somewhat shocked "why..." feeling. I think that the developers just wanted to make that final stage not only really challenging, but a bit creepy as well, just for the heck of it.

My personal theory, however, is much darker: the level is supposed to be the video game level equivalent of a teratoma, which sometimes displays similar features in real-life. But that's just a theory. A game theory. (And very hopefully just that, and nothing else.)

Oh, you mean that "Steal the Syrup's Treasure!" time attack level? Well, we haven't brought up that level in a looong time on these Forums, but you're certainly not the only one who was creeped out by it. It's indeed something you wouldn't expect, and it can indeed leave you with a somewhat shocked "why..." feeling. I think that the developers just wanted to make that final stage not only really challenging, but a bit creepy as well, just for the heck of it.

Oh, so the smartasses were trolling? Haha... :thiefkneeling:

My personal theory, however, is much darker: the level is supposed to be the video game level equivalent of a teratoma, which sometimes displays similar features in real-life. But that's just a theory. A game theory. (And very hopefully just that, and nothing else.)
That's actually interesting, specially cause last year I finished an excellent platformer that happens to be a metaphor for cancer and how it affected the main developer.

Do you think the final big... enemy what's-its-name represents maybe the heart that you have to kill? Since the room is set with a face at the top... eh who knows.

Maybe the cave is sentient and Syrup just so happens to find it and decided, hey, I'm gonna put my treasure here and banish bad crew members here and somehow the cave is just okay with it....

That or Syrup designed it like that either because she's into that stuff or to hede off people by it's creepiness.

I got nothing else.

Last edited:
she's into that stuff

Maybe this is the reason we haven't brought this up for such a long time. :wah:

That's actually interesting, specially cause last year I finished an excellent platformer that happens to be a metaphor for cancer and how it affected the main developer.

Can you please give me the title? I think I've heard of this game before.

Do you think the final big... enemy what's-its-name represents maybe the heart that you have to kill? Since the room is set with a face at the top... eh who knows.

That last big enemy is probably just there to make for a great final finale to the game.

Back