Still no 3DS installment?

I hope they have something in mind.

If not, then yeah...I'll be worried. As things stand, though, there's still time. Or they might do something for the New Nintendo 3DS (man, that's a terrible name).

Yoshio Sakamoto was asked about a 3DS WarioWare in a 2010 interview and his answer was basically "yeah we're thinking about it". In several interviews (the one I linked to kinda hints at it, but he's more explicit in others), he mentions his department wasn't given 3DS dev kits until the system was released - I suspect that's a big factor in why there hasn't been a 3DS WarioWare yet.

Even taking the 2014 R&D restructuring (and the WW/RH team supposedly being transferred even before that) into account, I'm wondering why we haven't heard a peep from the so-called "funny games" team since Tomodachi Life's Japanese release. They were insanely productive in the GBA and Wii/DS era, and Tomodachi Life was hugely successful.

???Maybe they're secretly assisting on Splatoon???

I have to admit, I'm incredibly surprised we still don't have a 3DS WarioWare game. I mean, Augmented Reality alone could have kept one going, let alone all the other features the console has.

Tomodachi Life was only successful because Nintendo wanted it to be. And they also didn't want anyone to know that SPD made it. Even with this, this team still gets no respect for anything else they make.

I heard that they assisted with Metroid Blast in Nintendo Land. Since Splatoon is being made by that same EAD team and some influence of it is derived from Metroid Blast, I wouldn't be surprised if they're working on Splatoon as well.

Also, Nintendo seems to have given up on AR gameplay for the 3DS.

Shit, Sakamoto's SPD 1 team has dispersed? What are they going to do now? And why have I only heard about this now?

Last edited:
And they also didn't want anyone to know that SPD made it. Even with this, this team still gets no respect for anything else they make.

Hey. It's not like Nintendo actively promote their EAD talents beside Miyamoto (and I guess Yoichi Kotabe in that one Iwata Asks, and Yoshio Sakamoto around Other M's release, though that backfired quite a bit), either...

From the look of things, it seems SPD Production Group 4. is focused on supervising Mario spin-offs and the occassional quirky Japanese third-party gasme. I hope the tranfer means it becomes a proper development team (unless it's actually a different department from what I'm thinking of? Are there separately numbered "Development Groups" and "Production Groups"? The inner workings of Nintendo are SO byzantine!), because having the minds behind WarioWare and Rhythm Heaven wasted on Mario sports games would make me very sad. Very forever.

I think that with Sakamoto's newfound reputation (Hell, how many people knew who he was before Other M?), anything he worked on might have brought that bad karma along with it. Their later games like Rhythm Heaven Fever and Game & Wario (over here with the former, at least) might have partly flopped because when people found out that he worked on them, they assume that they're just as "poisonous" as Other M. (Or maybe this isn't really true...)

It annoys me how people only slam him for that when he's had an otherwise impressive body of work all this time.

Oh, and Aonuma is always being put high up there for anything Zelda-related. But only because it's fucking Zelda.

Depending on where those people go, when are we to expect anything new from what their former team used to make a lot?

Yoshio Sakamoto was asked about a 3DS WarioWare in a 2010 interview ...
Why doesn't anyone ever ask Nintendo about Wario Land in any interviews?

Aaanyway...
I think one of the reason we haven't gotten one yet COULD be because the 3DS's gimmick doesn't create a unique way of playing microgames the way the gyroscope, the touchscreen and the wiimote did.
Maybe they think just making a button controlled Wario Ware like the first one but in 3D isn't going to sell enough. (Although that's exactly the kind I personally would like to see)
Although I guess they could sort of combine the previous gimmicks. There could be levels that use the gyrocontrols of the 3DS the way Touched did (heck, there could even be microgames taken straight from that game), some that use the stylus and some that just use the usual button controls.

But honestly, I'd even settle for a remake of the first two games (maybe as a pack?) at this point.
Twisted never got released in Europe so it'd be a chance to let european players who don't want to import stuff try the game out.

(Also maybe people who've only seen Smash bros Wario until now can then finally see that Wario, even in Wario Ware is not just all about poop and fart jokes and other toilet humor, since the early games don't focus on that as much... then again, not even the later games focus on it much... actually, only Smash focuses on it. Damn you, Sakurai! >.<)

Why doesn't anyone ever ask Nintendo about Wario Land in any interviews?

Aaanyway...
I think one of the reason we haven't gotten one yet COULD be because the 3DS's gimmick doesn't create a unique way of playing microgames the way the gyroscope, the touchscreen and the wiimote did.
Maybe they think just making a button controlled Wario Ware like the first one but in 3D isn't going to sell enough. (Although that's exactly the kind I personally would like to see)
Although I guess they could sort of combine the previous gimmicks. There could be levels that use the gyrocontrols of the 3DS the way Touched did (heck, there could even be microgames taken straight from that game), some that use the stylus and some that just use the usual button controls.

But honestly, I'd even settle for a remake of the first two games (maybe as a pack?) at this point.
Twisted never got released in Europe so it'd be a chance to let european players who don't want to import stuff try the game out.

(Also maybe people who've only seen Smash bros Wario until now can then finally see that Wario, even in Wario Ware is not just all about poop and fart jokes and other toilet humor, since the early games don't focus on that as much... then again, not even the later games focus on it much... actually, only Smash focuses on it. Damn you, Sakurai! >.<)
Perhaps you could sorta use the 3D slider incorporated in a Warioware title. That and use the touchscreen/ accelerometer (like the thing that records your steps) for just as many little gimmicks. In my opinion tho if they did have a Wario game of the 3DS it should be a Wario Land platformer with some sort of multiplayer minigames incorporated in it. Otherwise, yeah a microgame bundle would do but I'm not sure how well it would sell.

WARIOWARE 3DS SYNOPOSIS

WARIO: WAAAA LETS FART I WANT TO MAKE GAME BUT I NEED MONEY NOT MONEY FROM MY UNIVERSE BUT MONEY FROM REAL LIFE YOU WHO IS ALWAYS WATCHING ME GIVE ME MONEY FOR MICROGAME SETS WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *fart*

How would that work?
Also it would be problematic for the 2DS.
For 2D play perhaps the game could be programmed to have a different effect and see something different from what it was before, like an opacity level. On 2DS it could be the D-pad up or down.

So Sakamoto and his team have all broken down and moved into EAD.

What will this mean for everything that they made all the time? Are they all dead, or will we get more games from them that aren't "herp derp how do I 3D"? And if they end up being under EAD, after all, it will force Nintendo to take them more seriously?

Their later games like Rhythm Heaven Fever and Game & Wario (over here with the former, at least) might have partly flopped because when people found out that he worked on them, they assume that they're just as "poisonous" as Other M.

that can be more reasonably chalked up to Fever being released with barely any promotion in a time where Nintendo had given up on regular releases on the Wii, and Game & Wario being released on a failing console (and simply not being very good).

So Sakamoto and his team have all broken down and moved into EAD.

The guy who leaked the development restructure said Sakamoto and his team are "re-emerging under new identity?". A post he made later in another thread said EAD only absorbed one SPD 1 developer, but I've been unable to find it atm.

To be honest, I really doubt that Sakamoto's reputation had much to do with the game's sales. I mean, how many Nintendo fans even know of him for things other than Metroid?

How many more casual gamers know he exists?

I'd say fairly few. The lack of marketing probably had the bigger effect on those games and their sales failures.

Do people outside the Metroid fanbase really care thought?
Most people that didn't rage on Other M don't seem to give a toss, even if the fanbase acts as if he was the devil himself.

I love how people are still under the impression that Miyamoto and Sakurai are the only two people at Nintendo. Heck, the latter didn't really exist to anyone before Brawl.

Back