The Etika Thread

RevampedSpider

Who dares disturb the flying dutchman?
I'm sure a lot of you have heard by now, but for those who haven't, Desmond, known online as Etika, has passed away after a battle with mental health issues
In light of this devastating news, I thought it would be respectful to open a thread where fans of his can look back on moments where Etika has made them feel better during their own struggles and overall, talk about the impact he has had on the Nintendo community as a whole.

If you ever feel suicidal, reach out to your friends and family members and tell them how you feel. An alternative is to call your suicide hotline for advice.

May Etika rest in peace.

I've seen a few of his videos but I never watched him regularly or anything. Its tough to put yourself into the public eye like that, you inevitably get a ton of vitriol directed at you and it would grate on anyone's mind without the proper coping mechanisms. Rest in peace <3

I don't know him or even follow him much, but regardless of that, this is just a big tragedy all around and
and may he rest in peace. My condolences also go out to his friends and family during these hard times.

And really, this can't be stated enough, if you feel like you're going to, or are in a dark place (or you know someone who is), don't be afraid to reach out and get help (or help), whatever it's by talking about them to friends/family/hotline (or with them) or by getting medical attention or whatever.

Because ultimately, whatever you think so or not, you do have worth here on this planet
and someone out there does care for you.

Last edited:
After taking all this in I have to make a post.

I wasn't a fan of his but I had been following his recent issues with some concern. I have dealt with many friends in the past with severe mental issues to the point that it's left me rather jaded and hardened when it comes to the matter. Combine that Etika's past behavior and I didn't take his disappearance all that seriously. Though with the way this turned out it really snapped me out of that. Countless other people have said this already but if you're having problems please don't be afraid to reach out and get help. Don't listen to the voice that tells you you're a burden. Your friends will gladly do whatever they can to help you on your road to recovery. Even if they can't do much, just knowing that you have people who will be there to make the journey less lonely can make a world of difference.

Back