The Wario Cup Thread

TheDragonFire123

Diamond City Dweller
Coins
Coins
re latest challenge: How in hell are you supposed to do the "Remove the syllables" game? I know you're supposed to "merge" Dribble and Spitz by moving into the corner, but when I do that and try to remove the one in the middle, they end up shooting the next syllable anyway
I've always been wanting to formulate a strat too, since that microgame would be a run ender, but it occurs so late into the run I haven't been able to. I usually have good luck with it anyway, but touch wood.

TheDragonFire123

Diamond City Dweller
Coins
Coins
Week 10 features the top two most hated characters in the game together at last.

Time Out forces you to play for as long as you can with Kat and 9-Volt, the two most infamous auto-moving characters in the game. Despite this, you'll just need to power through the endless microgames (including an unhealthy amount of Bad Fit games) to score high.

I promise I'll update my score once I get a Gold. (I never made it last week, sorry.)

Glowsquid

Mental midget
Diamond City Leader
Coins
Coins
Profile Music
I finally got the A-Rank with 4400 points and around 15%. This cup blows so much ass and made me think about my issue with 9-Volt and Kat/Ana as playable characters. Which is, more than just being bad at most microgames, they're bad in a way that's eventually imposible to compensate with player skill.

Let's take the microgame where you have to collect the same mask as what a character is wearing in the background. For that microgame, you have to:

1: Recognize the objective

2: Look at which mask you're supposed to wear (which is randomized so familiarity with the prompt will not save you)

3: Find where the collectable mask is and move to it without accidentally picking up the wrong one (which instantly fails the game)

It's a lot of thing to look for the span of a microgame, but with one of the more versatile character, it's doable. However, when you're playing with Kat/9-Volt and you get to the upper speed and microgame difficulty combos? Forget it. With Kat, you have to very precisely time your movement so you jump above or below the masks you're not supposed to collect, and 9-Volt has only one shot to collect the correct mask. Unless your eyes were already looking at the right part of the screen when it started, it probably is already too late. I guess typing this without sounding scrubby as hell is impossible, but I don't think even fighter jet pilots can process information that fast.

There are ton of games like this. And even pure timing games eventually become hair-pulling with 9-Volt because the Switch has very high inherent input lag compared to other video game systems (no really, people compared shmup ports and arcade archives releases between Switch and PS4 and typically Switch version of games have anywhere from 1 to 3 more frames of input lag on average), so your attempts to collect items will often miss by a country mile.

Hell, 9-Volt's very existence makes the game slightly more difficult for some of the other characters. Notice how the notches in some microgames (to keep him locked into a certain area) stay even when he's not in play? Well, this screws over Kat for the Super Mario Bros. microgame because shurikens fired at the very bottom of the screen will be blocked by the notch and not hit Bowser.

An easy fix that, perhaps, would've not entirely fixed these problems but make them more bearable would've been to give both of the automatic movement characters some way to control their movement speed, make them move/fall faster or slower. That way you can more easily anticipate things and avoid unwinnable situations. None of the previous WarioWare games featured more than one action button and perhaps they thought doing otherwise would complicate the games too much, but I don't think it would've been a problem with the implementation I suggested.

TheDragonFire123

Diamond City Dweller
Coins
Coins
Week 11 finally lets you choose your crew again.

Speed Trap introduces yet another gimmick not yet seen previously; the ability to change speed without a massive "Speed Up!" screen, as well as the ability to lower rather than increease speed. Contrary to what Wario would lead you to believe, the speed is actually fixed to the microgame (it's another one of those challenges where it's in sequence), rather than at random, so learn the speed and you'll be fine.

Finally another Gold! With a score of 2,414, it's just barely over, but since I have no NSO that doesn't matter.