[Poll] Themed Microgame Collections or Gimmick Based Microgame Collections?

Do you prefer themed microgame sets or gimmick based ones?

• Themed ones, like in the GBA WarioWare games and DIY

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Gimmick ones, like in Touched and Smooth Moves

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Which do you prefer?

The ones based on a theme, like food, animals or music, like in WarioWare DIY and I think the original.

Or ones based on a gimmick, like in Touched and Smooth Moves?

Themed ones without a doubt, since they are actually a representation of sorts for some of the character's quirks.

I never got why they didn't just use the themes along with the control gimmicks in Smooth Moves/Touched, after all Wario and 9-Volt were allowed to keep their themes, so what gives?

Graphic theme is preferrable in that there's less potential for repetition inside individual sets - that's the big criticism I see levied against Touched!. However, Smooth Moves doesn't really have "gimmick" sets - new ways to hold the Wiimote are progessively introduced, but a given character can still have a "form" from a previous set, and there's no clear theme to each characters beside Wario and 9-Volt's

OTOH, the original WW has the opposite problem in that there's quite a few clone microgames between character sets, just with a different coat of paint. It's most obvious with the "Mash A as fast as possible" ones, but there's a few repeats of "press a button to have a flying object drop on an immobile object below it" and "press the D-pad directions indicated on the screen" too.

Ok I just saw this topic... I voted to Themed collections because I really love how it portraits each character. However, I like gimmick based collections, as it highlights the gameplay possibilities. To me it's win-win, so I voted themed for nostalgia's sake...

For a while, I was wondering what kinds of themes Penny, Young Cricket/Master Mantis, and Mike would get. Didn't warelander or somebody make a thread about that? Mike could get music, but the other two...?

Back