This music album is made from Wario Land 4/WarioWare samples...

I'm glad you guys listened to it. I've always been really perplexed by the sounds in these games. Nintendo R&D 1 made their own soundbanks for WL4 to "show off" the GBA's sound chip, and the sounds they made all have this kind of weird kitch style that's really unique, kind of like the default sounds on a keyboard. The unlockable records are amazing, I love the idea of making field recordings and sound scapes out of sounds like that. Then in WW they used these sounds to create the microgame songs, each of which has this rushed almost natural quality to it. This kind of "intentionally generic" style is something that fascinates me.

What I really want to do is make songs that sound like they could be unlockable records in WL4. I don't have much experience with any DAW, so in making this album the samples warped into the kind of ambient sound you hear with it. I'm gonna keep practicing and working with these samples though. Does anyone know where I can find audio rips of the games? Some of the ones I have are a little fuzzy or distorted.

I'm glad you guys listened to it. I've always been really perplexed by the sounds in these games. Nintendo R&D 1 made their own soundbanks for WL4 to "show off" the GBA's sound chip, and the sounds they made all have this kind of weird kitch style that's really unique, kind of like the default sounds on a keyboard. The unlockable records are amazing, I love the idea of making field recordings and sound scapes out of sounds like that. Then in WW they used these sounds to create the microgame songs, each of which has this rushed almost natural quality to it. This kind of "intentionally generic" style is something that fascinates me.

What I really want to do is make songs that sound like they could be unlockable records in WL4. I don't have much experience with any DAW, so in making this album the samples warped into the kind of ambient sound you hear with it. I'm gonna keep practicing and working with these samples though. Does anyone know where I can find audio rips of the games? Some of the ones I have are a little fuzzy or distorted.

Audio rips? I had a bunch of them before, although the site where they were uploaded is gone now.

Maybe this?

http://chaofanatic.tumblr.com/post/83723160948/wl4-soundtrack

already have that, but thanks. what I really want to do is find the actual soundbanks they used in game and convert them to midi samples somehow, but that knowledge is way over my head.

already have that, but thanks. what I really want to do is find the actual soundbanks they used in game and convert them to midi samples somehow, but that knowledge is way over my head.
I have seen stuff where it's changed the soundbanks from the originals, like this for example:

So I do imagine they've been extracted somehow in full, at the very least. I'm not sure about individual instruments and stuff though, that's beyond me.

W A R I O W A V E and The Short Walk are my favorites. The rest are just strange or inconsistent. I heard some DIY instruments as well and some of them are fairly decent in terms of the things you can do with them. Keep at it though as it is a reflection of an artist.

Those are actually my favorites too, most of these songs were just me messing around in Garageband and seeing what everything did. Ultimately I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to capture the "Wario" feel better. That's for my next album though.

Those are actually my favorites too, most of these songs were just me messing around in Garageband and seeing what everything did. Ultimately I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to capture the "Wario" feel better. That's for my next album though.

Well, good luck then. Hope your next album is fantastic!

Back