Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Still, got a new unpopular opinion now...

I never really cared much for FlipNote.

It's just a messaging program where you can draw images, and only has any appeal because it's on the 3DS rather than because it's particularly good in of itself.
You really gotta be in the right mindset to enjoy using, so I can see why its doesn't peak your interest.
To be fair, I never used the animation part of Flipnote much at all though, I used it mostly to watch the stuff people posted on hatena, like a poorman's youtube. (because I wasn't allowed on YT back then)

Yeah, I guess it may be a mindset thing.

Sort of like how I find it difficult to really care about Super Mario Maker, the Smash Bros level editor or Animal Crossing; I like being creative, but I don't enjoy using the limited tools available there.

It's why I prefer programming or game development, having full control over everything just seems better to me.

Is Indivisible is another Mighty No. 9 but with a more successful con kickstarter? I mean the plot ripped off Duckman's: Flaws make you perfect and the downgraded animation, was it animated by Trigger Studios or a D-team that coincidentally shares the same name? Million dollars btw.

Okay, seen the recent news about CS:GO/Team Fortress 2 code getting leaked, and hackers using it to compromise people's computers with a new vulnerability.

That's terrible, especially for the players, and I'd definitely suggest anyone who plays those games stop playing for a while until the issue gets sorted, since it's a huge security risk to play right now.

But, and here's the big one here...

Why is this code being public the issue?

Honestly, most code should be public now. As open source software proves, having the source code for something open to the public isn't a bad thing, and it's not usually a security risk either. Hell, the fact a lot of proprietary solutions still let you view the source code (like XenForo, the software this very site runs on) indicates the same thing.

What's more, the hassle this leak has caused arguably just bolsters that argument.

Think about it. The reason this exploit exists is because of a bug in the engine. A bug in the engine that only went 'undiscovered' because users couldn't see this part of the code.

Valve relied on security by obscurity here, and (like in many cases with other companies in the past), it bit them in the ass.

In fact, they didn't even do that 'right'. The code was visible to those who paid for a developer license or something similar.

So they relied on their partners/business customers all being filled with completely honest people who wouldn't look for exploits to use against said games in future.

Either way, if the code was public, people would know this was an issue, and it probably would have fixed in the last couple of years. Servers wouldn't be shut down/suspended due to the code leaking, and no one's computer would be risk right now.

It speaks to a problem in the industry to be honest. That the industry still doesn't realised that closed source, proprietary setups where no one can see the code except the companies themselves is a security problem, not a strength. Almost every multiplayer game in existence would be in peril if its code leaked online in full, because almost every single one likely has security flaws and exploits that weren't found due to only the developers behind the game (and their partners/certification organisations) ever having looked at it.

Okay, seen the recent news about CS:GO/Team Fortress 2 code getting leaked, and hackers using it to compromise people's computers with a new vulnerability.

That's terrible, especially for the players, and I'd definitely suggest anyone who plays those games stop playing for a while until the issue gets sorted, since it's a huge security risk to play right now.

But, and here's the big one here...

Why is this code being public the issue?

Honestly, most code should be public now. As open source software proves, having the source code for something open to the public isn't a bad thing, and it's not usually a security risk either. Hell, the fact a lot of proprietary solutions still let you view the source code (like XenForo, the software this very site runs on) indicates the same thing.

What's more, the hassle this leak has caused arguably just bolsters that argument.

Think about it. The reason this exploit exists is because of a bug in the engine. A bug in the engine that only went 'undiscovered' because users couldn't see this part of the code.

Valve relied on security by obscurity here, and (like in many cases with other companies in the past), it bit them in the ass.

In fact, they didn't even do that 'right'. The code was visible to those who paid for a developer license or something similar.

So they relied on their partners/business customers all being filled with completely honest people who wouldn't look for exploits to use against said games in future.

Either way, if the code was public, people would know this was an issue, and it probably would have fixed in the last couple of years. Servers wouldn't be shut down/suspended due to the code leaking, and no one's computer would be risk right now.

It speaks to a problem in the industry to be honest. That the industry still doesn't realised that closed source, proprietary setups where no one can see the code except the companies themselves is a security problem, not a strength. Almost every multiplayer game in existence would be in peril if its code leaked online in full, because almost every single one likely has security flaws and exploits that weren't found due to only the developers behind the game (and their partners/certification organisations) ever having looked at it.

It's the Half Life 2 leak all over again. But it goes deeper than that, Tyler from Valve News has been blamed for the broken dishes, he sealed his fate when the banned one of his affiliates in Discord for promoting Hate Speech (No one knows if he's exaggerating or his affiliate was drilled in the head) But apparently it's affecting the games he usually covers their news about, because there are no reports in Gmod or SFM, hell even those dead mutliplayers like Day of Defeat aren't affected.

I never could get into Shadow of the Colossus.
I know it's full of these epic boss guys, but I can't find them.
Breathtaking environments be damned, I just want clear game design.
Titan Souls didn't have this problem, and it's quite similar.

What do you mean by this?
Rockstar got a lot of backlash for showing that they're only porting GTA V for PS5, and it's the third time (second being reasonable because PS3 takes an eternity to load in comparison to PS4) but that spot fits more to NSMB category, considering Mario Maker exists.

I would take it back, if they reveal Wario and Wario World being the expansion, but that sounds too good to be true.

Out of all multiplayer games casting, Mortal Kombat takes the cake when it comes to be too annoying to the point of regretting purchasing the game.

Mine has to be, I dunno. That Mario Party Superstars looks... kinda bland?

I mean, don't get me wrong, it is an impressive return to form that SMP started, but the visuals and character design look... not that impressive compared to Get It Together!, and on a higher budget even. Hearing even more of the same recycled voicework also sucks after GIT's impressive new stuff.

Even more controversial, but I also think GIT's Sly Angle minigame design is better than Superstars'. Rather than a bland rule screen, GIT minigames jump straight into it with the typical WW command, even though the minigames are Mario Party length. I hope they do more in the future.

Maybe I'm just salty because I did end up buying SMP, and even though I don't quite regret that purchase, I do recognise the badly undercooked Mario Party mode in that. Oh well, I have GIT now for all my party needs, so I ain't buying Superstars.

Mine has to be, I dunno. That Mario Party Superstars looks... kinda bland?

I mean, don't get me wrong, it is an impressive return to form that SMP started, but the visuals and character design look... not that impressive compared to Get It Together!, and on a higher budget even. Hearing even more of the same recycled voicework also sucks after GIT's impressive new stuff.

Even more controversial, but I also think GIT's Sly Angle minigame design is better than Superstars'. Rather than a bland rule screen, GIT minigames jump straight into it with the typical WW command, even though the minigames are Mario Party length. I hope they do more in the future.

Maybe I'm just salty because I did end up buying SMP, and even though I don't quite regret that purchase, I do recognise the badly undercooked Mario Party mode in that. Oh well, I have GIT now for all my party needs, so I ain't buying Superstars.
I agree about SMP, it was kind of boring compared to the previous Mario Party games.

But i am gonna try Superstars, and if i do not like it as much as i thought... i will return it to Game Stop.

I consider the koopalings as the most forgettable cast of bosses compared to the ones from SMB USA and SML2. Even the first NSMB had no problem adding original bosses, making them pretty expendable.

I consider the koopalings as the most forgettable cast of bosses compared to the ones from SMB USA and SML2. Even the first NSMB had no problem adding original bosses, making them pretty expendable.
They were cool and funny at first, but subsequent NSMB games overused them to hell and back, and now they are just boring.

Toad and Meowth (basically two of the most recurring icons in their respective series) still not being in Smash is the most baffling and beyond long overdue exclusions of any kind the Smash series have ever done. Even bigger than the way Wario Land is treated, Ganondorf's moveset or some more popular Smash requests people point to.

I feel like one of the only ones on planet Earth who unironically like Sonic Blast. Sure, it's far from the best Sonic games, but it's still fun to play.

This actually ties into a second unpopular opinion, as I prefer the Master System version of said game (which never released outside of Brazil for some reason). Sure, its performance is a bit less, but it's nowhere near noticeable if you ask me, and its lack of screen crunch like what we have on the Game Gear version of the game makes it far more pleasant to play.

But yeah, Sonic Blast is honestly quite alright if you ask me.

Back