Unpopular Video Game Opinions

SurrealBrain

I like Amitie.
What the name says. This is for non-Wario related unpopular opinions for video games.

I'll start with a few of my own.

1. I've yet to bump into a Sonic game that's bad enough for me to give up on the Sonic franchise outright. I enjoyed Sonic 2006, warts and all (an unpopular opinion in itself), I liked the Wii U version of Sonic Lost World (though the 3DS version can go in a fire pit for all I care), and while Sonic Labyrinth, Tails Skypatrol, Sonic Riders and the aforementioned 3DS version of SLW were awful, awful games, they weren't bad enough for me to say "I'm done."

2. I liked Mega Man X6. Most hate it for its cheap difficulty, I didn't mind it so much. Besides, the designs are still more competent than in some other titles I've experienced. I do agree that the translation is awkward at best, though.

3. One that's becoming less popular over time: I'm looking forward to Mighty No. 9. It looks like it'll be a fun Mega Man-esque platformer.

Any thoughts of your own?

I didn't feel like shitting on everyone's parade when the Wario version of this thread was made, but I feel like saying I find "unpopular opinions" thread to be kinda dumb. Not only because it's an invitation to spout offs crude, simplistic opinions for extra edge points without the pesky expectation of having to make a cogent case for it, but also because they are the perfect enable for persuction complex-riddled kiddies to reinforce their persecution complex. No kiddie, you're not the only one to Not Like Cocks on Duty. No, saying it so is not a pugnacious attack on peer pressure.

On the other hand, there is a definite allure to having a spot to spout off my crude, simplistic, uninformed opinions whenever I feel like it (These things really should be just called "Vomit your crude, simplistic, uninformed opinions). And without further ados...

1: JRPGs are fucking terrible.

2: 3D open-world platformers are inane, miserable experiences. It boggles my mind Banjo-Kazooie gets dickridden so much when Crash Bandicoot is a considerably superior template.

3: i like gundam crossfire.

1. Mega Man 7 is AWESOME, I don't care what anyone says.

2. I love Sonic Unleashed (PS3/XBOX360 version) and consider it my favorite game in the franchise.

3. I still adore the Sonic Adventure titles and despise Sonic Colours.

4. I like Rayman 3 more than Rayman 2.

5. I don't like Rosalina (what else is new..).
I like the backstory aspect, but Rosalina on her own is at best boring and at worst downright annoying to me.

6. I still have yet to pick up Smash Wii U, because I'm putting my money to the side for Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.
That doesn't mean that I think Smash U looks bad, but trying to get everything in the 3DS version tired me out of Smash for quite a while...

1. The best Sonic and PC game is Sonic Flash

2. I hate that Rosalina is in Smash and was mad that Waluigi or Bowser Jr. didn't get announced

3. I enjoyed PokéPark Wii 2 and it was the first and last time interacting with gen 4 & 5 Pokémon, I will get Alpha Sapphire soon though

Well, this place is civilized, so I don't see a problem in pointing out some opinions you feel are sadly not seen often; that doesn't mean a persecution complex, just having a differing taste. Anyway:

* I dislike FPSs and 99% of graphically violent games in general.
* I dislike the very concept of localization. I'd rather they be merely translations. with some helping notes to explain references that could be hard to understand.
* Video games don't "age". The concept of a game "not aging well" is utterly and completely ridiculous. The game changed nothing, if you liked it but can't enjoy it anymore, you're the one who "didn't age well".
* A sequel that "brings nothing new" can be a very good game if its prequel was good.
* I wish most video games worked harder on having decent plots and characterization.
* Non-linearity is a desirable trait for pretty much any game.
* The same as above for co-op multiplayer.

1. I think lag is annoying (currently in Smash 3DS) but it is less annoying if my opponent isn't that good in the lag either. If it is truly unplayable then the internet connection would fail, at least with my absurd internet connection. Usually matchups in minor lag are double sided as far as I'm concerned.

2. The Koopalings don't belong in Smash. There are enough better playing characters in the Mario section than the Koopalings. Sure they have some personality, but they aren't fun to use at all and competitively they should be on the bottom of the list because they move a bit slow and their moves are very hard to land. Dedede is more fun to use than the Koopalings and he has just Gordo. The Mechakoopas are useful yet you cannot directly move them into your hand and throw them.

3. Spyro the Dragon music is awesome and that "style" should be in more games. Sure it gets annoying after a while but for as long as you can play in the section to collect everything it really sets a good mood. I don't know anyone on the internet yet who agrees with me.

4. Legend of Zelda isn't fun at all. It likes to keep you guessing how to move on, there is cheap action that takes one button or two to get rid of a boss. Aiming is alright but I'd hate to aim with motion controls if they have them. It's too slow paced and I find no amusement in moving on. I'd just play it for the boss fights I suppose.

I've got another one.

I've never seen so much discussion on framerate...and quite frankly, I can't bring myself to care whether or not a game is 30FPS, 60FPS or whatever elseFPS. As long as the framerate is at least fairly consistent, you won't hear me complain. On another note, I see the term "FPS," and all I can think of is "First Person Shooter" I know it means "Frames-Per-Second," but it doesn't stop me from thinking that.

1. I like Bomberman's singleplayer much more than its multiplayer. Super Bomberman 1, 3, and 5, for example, have a great singleplayer, but literally every user review on gamefaqs has "Best Mutiplayer" on the title.

2. Gen 4 of Pokémon is probably my favorite. I always hear hate about it.

3. I liked the Wii Pokémon games, aka Battle Revolution and the Poképark games.

4. I like Mario Galaxy 1 more than 2.

That's all I can think of in the spot.

Liking Galaxy 1 more than 2 isn't a rare or unpopular opinion. It seems to be a roughly 50% split to whether a Mario fan or gamer prefers it or the sequel.

- I don't care for Super Mario World
- I thought Other M was more fun than Prime
- Skyward Sword is my favourite Zelda
- Sonic Heroes is my favourite Sonic
- I don't really care for the 2D Sonics (I don't care much for most of the 3D ones either but that's a popular opinion so...) :p
- Apollo Justice is my favourite Ace Attorney

Liking Galaxy 1 more than 2 isn't a rare or unpopular opinion. It seems to be a roughly 50% split to whether a Mario fan or gamer prefers it or the sequel.
Really? I never found anyone who preferred Galaxy 1. Most of the people said that Galaxy 2 is one of the best platforming games and that it was much better than the prequel.

Really? I never found anyone who preferred Galaxy 1. Most of the people said that Galaxy 2 is one of the best platforming games and that it was much better than the prequel.

Artemendo from Waluigious did. Me and him wrote an article, where he defended Galaxy 1 and said it was better than Galaxy 2 and I defended Galaxy 2 and said it was better than Galaxy 1.

http://www.superluigibros.com/point-counterpoint-smg2-rocks-sucks

My points in black, his in purple. Sorry about the messed up formatting.

Artemendo from Waluigious

what the hell happened to him anyway. supper mario broth resumed updating for like 2 weeks after being dead for like one year, and then it died again.

i'd really like to get access to the network of researchers he has for supper mario broth

Last edited:
Well I've played part of both Galaxy games (with Galaxy 2 being finished and 1 I played at relatives houses) and Galaxy 1 can be more frustrating, a little like SM64 and Sunshine, only because of the Green Star bonus area and more water levels. The water boss was fine, heck the levels were fine, just not as much retro levels and unique platforming like Galaxy 2. Not sure about the purple coin challenge because I didn't get really far (I only got like 121-ish stars or so) but that would be more of a chore. Yoshi was great in Galaxy 2, Mario's new power ups were awesome in Galaxy 2, the difficulty was perfect in Galaxy 2, and it was more creative with the level design. The final stage was the best thing ever (perhaps unexpected but I heard about it before). Sure the navigation between levels was fast but that is a plus for me, as well as being able to get 1 ups really easy on Mario's spaceship. But that is only my opinion. There is no right or wrong way of seeing things.

EDIT: After reading the article I realized it was easier because of the 2.5D levels. Kinda interesting if you see it in that sense, because it's true. The haunted stages were the most notable part in SMG2. Why? Because they were strangely unique.

1. The best Sonic and PC game is Sonic Flash

2. I hate that Rosalina is in Smash and was mad that Waluigi or Bowser Jr. didn't get announced

3. I enjoyed PokéPark Wii 2 and it was the first and last time interacting with gen 4 & 5 Pokémon, I will get Alpha Sapphire soon though

Bowser Jr did get announced. Just, in his clown car from Mario Bros Wii,

300px-Bowser_Jr._SSB4.png

I have to be honest; I'm surprised at how good Bowser Jr is in Smash Bros 4. I mean, he actually surprised me by being one of the best characters in the game, despite being someone that everyone hated in the actual Mario series.

The Koopalings have something to do with this, but it's also cause of his great moveset. I mean, it's much, much better than I'd ever have expected from him.

Back